Currently working in retail but dislike current work environment? Want to look for something new..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This month makes it one year that I've worked as a retail pharmacist. The atmosphere at work is seriously cut throat I loathe going in to work because the environment is so negative. I'm concerned it may not be better else where but several of my friends claim otherwise. So I'm wondering, as I look for a better option what are some good excuses as to why I want to work for their company and not this one? Should I claim a personal reason? I've never done this before and I need some ideas. Also I realize the market is extremely bleak especially with all the mergers but I'd like to think there's some hope. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Let me guess you work for CVS? Can someone please sticky a CVS thread as someone else mentioned "What CVS did this time"

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, it's absolutely awful there. Have you worked there? Are other retail chains any better? And what excuse can I make for not wanting to work there? "Like hey guys I heard you suck less than CVS please consider me as an employee??" Or should I make up an excuse at work as to why I can't be full time?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All of us in retail should go on strike.

Ask for a transfer. Let me warn you though, grass is not always greener at the other side. I thought my rxm and I not getting along was the worst thing that could happen to my work life until I transferred to this awful store that I work at right now. It's so awful that I wanted out the first month but my new DM won't let me go. So be careful what you ask for. I do agree that your work environment makes or breaks your day and working in a very negative environment will drain you out. It is not a CVS problem, it is peoples problem.
I find that pharmacists are actually the most difficult to deal with in retail.

I was thinking of asking for my hours to be cut to part time so I could spend less time there. lol

Sure. They should be ok with letting you go part time. And while the possibility is small, it also gives them the option of giving you no hours and effectively letting you go completely. All the hours will go to full timers with stores, then full time floaters to meet base hours, then part timers. It really depends on your geographic area if it will work for you. You can be cherry picking your shifts or begging for shifts at crappy stores.

I like working at Walmart. There is a terrible store or two that just suck and are constantly in the red, but the other ones I can keep caught up and just enjoy the day. A manager left and I'm getting more hours last few weeks and I was glad to do 55 this week at 1.5 for over 40. I definitely recommend getting out of a problem store, they're not going to get better. The grass is definitely greener elsewhere. Stop listening to the negative nancies and the grass isn't always greener and pharmacy is a small world blah blah blah...

I like working at Walmart. There is a terrible store or two that just suck and are constantly in the red, but the other ones I can keep caught up and just enjoy the day. A manager left and I'm getting more hours last few weeks and I was glad to do 55 this week at 1.5 for over 40. I definitely recommend getting out of a problem store, they're not going to get better. The grass is definitely greener elsewhere. Stop listening to the negative nancies and the grass isn't always greener and pharmacy is a small world blah blah blah...

We will all like it too if we all work at Walmart where store managers have no control over the pharmacy and you're provided with more help than you actually need. I don't think you will be calling anyone negative Nancy if you work at CVS or Walgreens. Grass is not always greener. I agree to leave any situation that affects your emotional well being but there is no guarantee that your next situation will be better.

Walgreens has a new position where pharmacists can work at home.
All they do is just verify prescription typed by techs from busy stores.
Might be something you might be interested in if you are looking for less stressful work environment. You will actually get to take your breaks for once. But you will take a paycut.

Also I heard, independent pharmacies are a lot better. If you can find one that is hiring, you might consider moving.

I've been looking for another job. However, my difficulty is with my cover letter and what should I say in an interview? How should I explain why I want to leave without sounding bad? Especially since I've only worked there a little over a year.

Last edited:
just tell them your friends say great things about the company and it makes u wanna work for them. repeat all the benefits they offer. or if thats too cheesy, say that u don't share the same vision your current company endorse. that u want to better serve the community, and not be like CVS a menace to society. : )

just tell them your friends say great things about the company and it makes u wanna work for them. repeat all the benefits they offer. or if thats too cheesy, say that u don't share the same vision your current company endorse. that u want to better serve the community, and not be like CVS a menace to society. : )
Lol, that's cute! I will definitely use that one! :)

I heard Target has lots of job openings posted.

Reactions: 5 users
I sincerely hope CVS doesn't read SDN. Major blow to their confidence I'm sure.

Since you work at CVS, if you interview elsewhere you will probably end up taking potshots at CVS without even trying ("reasonable staffing," "actually eating lunch," "micromanaging **** that doesn't even ****ing matter because your store's demographics and prescriber habits are ****ty," etc.). I honestly think Rx supervisors (or the equivalent) at other chains know why people want to leave CVS.

At least at Walmart you can say at least there's the opportunity to do "real MTM" (Outcomes or Mirixa) and not make sure cash loss reports are run and unwanted past due scripts are inactivated.

Pretty much the only way my next job would be worse is if you have staff stealing controlled substances. (****ty pharmacists, check; ****ty techs, check; ****ty prescribers, check; ****ty customer base, check; unsupportive management, check).

Background: 1 year at CVS, time to GTFO

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
omg, I never knew CVS is this bad...I am hoping to switch out from retail and work outpatient in the hospital too. It just so hard to change jobs these days. SAD...

I have been working for wags for a year and I actually really like my store but I think I am going to apply for an outpt hospital job that was recently posted where Im trying to move to

They don't need SDN to blow the whistle. Just google "working for CVS" ;)
They're too busy looking at their stock prices anyway, they could care less about things that don't matter to them like "pharmacist complaints" or "patient safety" or any of that other nonsense.