Curriculum at Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcreWoods

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if a current student or alumni could shed some light on the curriculum at University of Missouri, as their website just succeeded in making me more confused. It says there's two years of classes and two years of clinicals. What is the timeline/structure? Are the years longer, shorter summers? Also, how do you like the curriculum there, structure-wise? Two years of clinicals sounds rather appealing to me!

Members don't see this ad.

The curriculum is as follows (more or less):

We have 11 8-week blocks of pre-clinicals, which means we have 5 blocks a year (Aug-end of June), and then one block Aug-Oct your third year. We only get 6-8 weeks of summer and 2-3 weeks of Christmas, which can be a bummer. We do still get 1 week off for Thanksgiving and 1 for spring break as well.

Honestly, as far as pre-clinicals go, I really like the block system, and I love the school as a whole. The benefits of blocks are you only focus on 4-5 classes at once, and if you don't enjoy a class it's over with in 8 weeks. Plus, the first two blocks first year run just like a semester, so they "ease" you into it. The disadvantages (in general) are exams and burn-out. We have A TON of exams all the time it seems since most classes are 8 weeks long. However, last week we had 4 exams and I significantly had less stress than in the past exam weeks. It might have been apathy... but you do get somewhat adjusted (depending on the person of course). A lot of people also get burned out from the exam/school schedule, but I think you will get a chance of burn-out wherever you go, and since we can't directly compare schools I couldn't tell you if I would feel less burned out if I went somewhere else:shrug:.

We then start clinics in Oct, which goes until May of your 4th year. I don't know the specifics yet, though I know you have required clinics that is 2-6 weeks long depending on rotations (Equine, Path, Anestisia, Radiology, Farm Animal, Small Animal Internal Med, Optho, ECC, etc etc). You can also pick electives (Some here, others where you want), and then you have "free blocks," which can be used for prectorships, studying for boards, weddings, etc. I've heard some great things about the free blocks, since you get a bunch of time (I think up to 14-16 weeks or something like that?) to go pursue whatever interest you have (whether that be exotics, surgery, shelter med, etc.) Maybe some 3rd or 4th years can comment more about clinics and if they like the set-up or not. :)

The curriculum is as follows (more or less):

We have 11 8-week blocks of pre-clinicals, which means we have 5 blocks a year (Aug-end of June), and then one block Aug-Oct your third year. We only get 6-8 weeks of summer and 2-3 weeks of Christmas, which can be a bummer. We do still get 1 week off for Thanksgiving and 1 for spring break as well.

Honestly, as far as pre-clinicals go, I really like the block system, and I love the school as a whole. The benefits of blocks are you only focus on 4-5 classes at once, and if you don't enjoy a class it's over with in 8 weeks. Plus, the first two blocks first year run just like a semester, so they "ease" you into it. The disadvantages (in general) are exams and burn-out. We have A TON of exams all the time it seems since most classes are 8 weeks long. However, last week we had 4 exams and I significantly had less stress than in the past exam weeks. It might have been apathy... but you do get somewhat adjusted (depending on the person of course). A lot of people also get burned out from the exam/school schedule, but I think you will get a chance of burn-out wherever you go, and since we can't directly compare schools I couldn't tell you if I would feel less burned out if I went somewhere else:shrug:.

We then start clinics in Oct, which goes until May of your 4th year. I don't know the specifics yet, though I know you have required clinics that is 2-6 weeks long depending on rotations (Equine, Path, Anestisia, Radiology, Farm Animal, Small Animal Internal Med, Optho, ECC, etc etc). You can also pick electives (Some here, others where you want), and then you have "free blocks," which can be used for prectorships, studying for boards, weddings, etc. I've heard some great things about the free blocks, since you get a bunch of time (I think up to 14-16 weeks or something like that?) to go pursue whatever interest you have (whether that be exotics, surgery, shelter med, etc.) Maybe some 3rd or 4th years can comment more about clinics and if they like the set-up or not. :)

You pretty well covered clinics, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)

I have liked the setup of clinics so far though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Ashgirl summed everything up pretty well.
As far as burn-out goes... yes, we have lots of exams, yes you can get burnt out... I have no idea how other schools are structured. But, we typically have anywhere from 2-4 exams a week. It makes you stay up on the material... and you do tend to get used to having that many exams (as sad as that sounds). Some weeks are definitely more stressful than others. But I'm definitely enjoying the block system. I don't think I would've liked having semesters where I had to balance more classes at a time. You take anywhere from 4-6 classes each block- so you really focus in on those for that 8 week period. Some classes you will take an additional 8 weeks of (like special path, pharmacology, etc). I'm pretty excited to start clinics in October! You are welcome to pm any of us Missouri kids with questions, I'm sure we'd be more than happy to answer any more questions you may have.

Everyone has explained everything really well.

The Curriculum = awesomeness ... And the extra time in clinics and built in free time to do things you want is awesome.. I've seen a couple people on here talking about how they only get a couple weeks for preceptorships etc.. But here, if you picked and received both off blocks that were 8 weeks long ( plus the 2-2 week free blocks) .. You have a total of 20 weeks of time to plan completely off campus doing stuff you are actually interested in!! We do actually have to get licensing hours (for the state of Missouri license) and do graded preceptorships during that time but there is so much flexibility and still so much free time to do whatever- like vacation, interview for jobs, one of my friends is even going to try and have a baby!

Anyways, I love it. The exam schedule takes some getting used to, but you just adjust and count down the days until your weekend of freedom between instructional periods.

Okay, so blocks are kind of like mini semesters? And then the clinics start in Oct. of your third year, so you get a lot more time in them than at other schools. One question, you guys are saying there are 4-6 classes per block. Do you know how many classes people take in normal "semester" type curriculums? Is it more than that? Thanks, you're all really helping. The whole block thing is like super new to me

Edit: Wow, I just looked up curriculums at other schools. I had no clue there were like 8+ classes per semester! In undergrad you only take like 4-5. Crazy.

Okay, so blocks are kind of like mini semesters? And then the clinics start in Oct. of your third year, so you get a lot more time in them than at other schools. One question, you guys are saying there are 4-6 classes per block. Do you know how many classes people take in normal "semester" type curriculums? Is it more than that? Thanks, you're all really helping. The whole block thing is like super new to me

Edit: Wow, I just looked up curriculums at other schools. I had no clue there were like 8+ classes per semester! In undergrad you only take like 4-5. Crazy.
You could call them mini-semesters, yes. (Though they fit in enough information for about 3 full semesters haha). Well, if we had a "normal" semester, we would probably have 8-9 classes like other schools, the schedule (classes, labs, and exams) would just be different.

Actually, take a look at our schedule (by block) here: http://calendar.cvm.missouri.edu/ . Maybe it will give you an idea of what the schedule would be like.

That depends on what you were doing in undergrad I guess, I regularly took 6 classes, sometimes 7.
Not saying I'm really looking forward to taking 8 classes at once in the fall lol

That depends on what you were doing in undergrad I guess, I regularly took 6 classes, sometimes 7.
Not saying I'm really looking forward to taking 8 classes at once in the fall lol

Oh well yeah, all depends on the schedule and course load. Either way, 8-9 is gonna be crazy!