Curriculum @ Western University - Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmNoob

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was browsing through the curriculum for various pharmacy schools and it appears that western has the most straightforward curriculum. They don't seem to have students to repeat any undergrad courses (ie. chemistry, anatomy, bio, etc.) and in the first year, they start you off in rotations.

Anyone students in Western University want to clarify (agree or disgree) on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, you pretty much go straight in with little or no review. You have foundations which has a little bit of law, OTCs, patient counseling, medicare, etc. Therapeutics has a little bit of chemistry review where you review acid base chemistry. Pharmaceutics will be totally new to you as well as immunology unless you took an undergraduate course in it.

Thanks for your reply Wordsworth301. May I ask what year you are in? How is it so far in terms of the workload and difficulty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a P1. Workload isn't much at all, however there are constant exams. Every other day we have an exam or a quiz and it's pretty tough when you have 15 hours of IPPE per week. If you can manage to not fall behind it's not too bad, it just seemed like for our class we happened to be the guinea pigs for a lot of changes (increase in IPPE hours, OSCE, etc). Hope that helps. Good luck

Hello... just wondering if you get to choose the days you do your IPPE hours ... or does the school set out a day for you? And what about the location of the IPPE?

I'm really excited about started in the fall! Is there anything you wish you had known before you started? Any suggestions?

THANKS!

another question. What's the drop out and remediation rate? Is it true that if you get two consecutive C's you will be asked to repeat the entire year?

IPPE's are typically 1-6 Tuesday-Thursday for four weeks. Depending on your preceptor you can ask to do them other days but that is the set schedule. Location you really have no choice, but you give them the city where you live and supposedly they try to place you nearby.

I don't know too much about the drop out rate but i think the policy is two consecutive semesters under a 2.75 = remediation of the whole year.