CV Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gladiolus23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I definitely wouldn't include high school experiences on a CV. Also, if this is for a research position I would suggest curtailing it towards research, which means community service involvement would be less significant than scientific experience.

I definitely wouldn't include high school experiences on a CV. Also, if this is for a research position I would suggest curtailing it towards research, which means community service involvement would be less significant than scientific experience.

Thanks a lot! So should I explain my research experience on my CV (in a mini- paragraph of three sentences)? Or do I just name the position I hold with no description? How long should a CV be anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, should I include my certifications on my CV? (such as listing HIPAA, CPR, Basic Human Subject research certifications etc.)

Someone please correct me if I am wrong... I was under the impression that a resume should be no longer than one page (and items listed therefore get "bumped off" the older they get and when more recent work experiences get added) while a CV could be much longer as nothing is "bumped off" and you simply just add to it, more like a list of accomplishments including publications, presentations, and achievements... Am I totally off?

You are correct a CV is total work, while resume you curtail to specific jobs.

OP, if you need a resume then keep it to one page. I include my objective, education history, past research experiences (title, date, advisor, etc), and any science related works such as conferences, abstracts, distinctions, etc. I understand that your experiences are meaningful and important to you, however, understand that the people looking at your application read a lot of resumes. Be clear and concise. Additional information is talk for interviews. For all science jobs I've always just sent a curtailed resume.

If OP needs a CV, then still keep the high school stuff out, put summaries for your research experiences, and keep it to two pages.

Last edited:
If you need a CV then yes. CV should include everything from college onward, including more detail within short summaries.

Also, should I include my certifications on my CV? (such as listing HIPAA, CPR, Basic Human Subject research certifications etc.)

If you need a CV then yes. CV should include everything from college onward, including more detail within short summaries.

Okay, then I guess I should delete my high school experiences (considering I'm a junior in college). Is it okay if my CV is two and a half pages? I don't think I can shorten it anymore...

You are correct a CV is total work, while resume you curtail to specific jobs.

OP, if you need a resume then keep it to one page. I include my objective, education history, past research experiences (title, date, advisor, etc), and any science related works such as conferences, abstracts, distinctions, etc. I understand that your experiences are meaningful and important to you, however, understand that the people looking at your application read a lot of resumes. Be clear and concise. Additional information is talk for interviews. For all science jobs I've always just sent a curtailed resume.

If OP needs a CV, then still keep the high school stuff out, put summaries for your research experiences, and keep it to two pages.

Yup, I need a CV not resume..sorry about the misleading thread title. I'll change it.

Find a way to make your CV fit within two pages. Formatting can help greatly in this area. My PI, who had been a researcher for nearly 30 years, had a CV that was 3 pages.

Find a way to make your CV fit within two pages. Formatting can help greatly in this area. My PI, who had been a researcher for nearly 30 years, had a CV that was 3 pages.

Okay, thanks. Also, I recently submitted a first-author abstract. Should I include this in my research section as a small note within my description of the experience? Or should I put it in the Honors/Awards/Certifications section? It's not really a publication/presentation yet...

If it were a first author manuscript, I'd say cite it as in submission, possibly even under publications. Since it's an abstract I would put it in a small note.

It's pretty hard to review this while not being able to see the whole thing in context. You're trying to chip away at individual words but there might be entire other sections that you think is important but is totally cullable.

Feel free to PM me if you want me to look over the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty hard to review this while not being able to see the whole thing in context. You're trying to chip away at individual words but there might be entire other sections that you think is important but is totally cullable.

Feel free to PM me if you want me to look over the real thing.

Same @Gladiolus23 if you need an extra pair of eyes let me know

Thanks for the help! But I finally managed to fit it in two pages and I think it looks better =)

Also, do you guys know if research PI's appreciate or dislike a prospective applicant that is currently employed? I'm wondering if I should list myself as non-employed... I'm currently not doing anything but am thinking about working as a Physics TA for the upcoming semester (not confirmed yet). Prior to that, I worked as a private tutor and I'm still considered employed by the company (even though I am not tutoring anyone at this time). I'm debating on whether to include these….

On one hand, I think it would look good as it shows responsibility. But on the other hand, I'm wondering if the committee will reject me thinking that I have too many things to do next semester and won't be able to handle the time commitment required for the research project :/

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

You are not working right now so you are currently unemployed. Provide your employment history accurately if asked.

Your CV can be as long as needed, but for stuff after HS (Mine is 3.5 pages).

Why a research position would want a CV is what I'm curious about…..

Wait why wouldn't they? Isn't it to explain all your experiences/achievements so far?

For a research position? I don't see why a lab manager or PI looking for a researcher would be interested in all the nuances of your life. It's not like being a researcher requires a broad range of skills, talents, and experiences.

But I mean that's just my perspective. Obviously knowing more about potential candidates is better than just a single page and it doesn't hurt to be more thorough.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

CVs are often the go-to for academic/scientific job openings, as you are allowed to provide a summary of your research projects that you otherwise wouldn't cover in such detail within a resume

If you are applying to a research position, I am pretty sure you wont need community service. Also, the 1 or 2 page limit is a made-up limit, in my opinion. If you have something that is both relevant AND substantial, then put it on, who cares if its 10 pages...

CVs are often the go-to for academic/scientific job openings, as you are allowed to provide a summary of your research projects that you otherwise wouldn't cover in such detail within a resume

With that perspective, that makes a lot of sense. I was thinking more along the lines of stuff like "Basketball team 08-10". But a resume would be difficult to detail several projects.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile