CV/Resume Help/Advice for an already practicing pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myst1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Day Fellow Colleagues!

So first of all – I should apologize if my post is inappropriate or not posted in the correct forum.

So – I have been practicing pharmacy in the same hospital since I graduated from pharmacy school > 8 years ago. I have come to a point in my life where I just can't tolerate the weather here (amongst other things). I'm done. I took and passed the MPJE and now I'm ready to move on to a warmer climate.

So… the next dilemma is finding a job before I move. That being said – I need to write a CV/Resume. As everyone knows, CV/resumes evolve over time and what was in a decade ago might be obsolete now. The last time I wrote a CV was over 9 years ago. At that time, I included my schooling, GPA, rotations, presentations, affiliations, hobbies etc etc. This is all irrelevant now. What's worse is (or good since it makes me loyal) – I only had 1 job in over 8 years. Then there's the fact that I'm Canadian living in Canada – but I am MORE THAN HAPPY to relocate… however, as an employer – if you saw that, wouldn't that discourage you from even offering me an interview? I mean with the poor job market now – makes it worse. The interview… wow that's something I haven't done in almost a decade as well…

I tried to "google" examples of CV/Resume – those results can be summarized as "New Grads", "Unprofessional", "Retail Pharmacist" (I'm strictly hospital) or "Residency" – I can't find any appropriate looking CV for staff pharmacists. Every friend I have/had works retail…. I can't ask my co-workers for obvious reason >_____<

So… how do I go on about this? Any advice you can provide? A starting point perhaps?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Then there's the fact that I'm Canadian living in Canada – but I am MORE THAN HAPPY to relocate… however, as an employer – if you saw that, wouldn't that discourage you from even offering me an interview?

yes.

Do you have the legs for retail? Do you have the mental/emotional fortitude for the retail maelstrom?

I know your question is about a CV, but I would answer that question first.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have moved cross country three times, two of which were after securing a job. I think the viability of this depends on the type of job you are applying to, and what you can bring to the table. If a hospital is hiring for a very specific position, and you happen to be a perfect fit, you might just get that interview. This is why you should tailor your resume to the specific job posting, but try not to stretch the truth because bull****ters will be obvious.

The one time I moved without a job was a big risk. Make sure you have sufficient savings if you go this path, and have an exit strategy that doesn't leave you living on the streets.

Sorry I should have clarified - I'm looking for a hospital job strictly. Retail pharmacy isn't my thing.

@Seriously Serious - thanks for the document... that's exactly my problem. I have no research, no teaching, no awards, no publications, no rotations (since I didn't do a PGY1-2 residency), no presentations... and apparently it seems.. no future! Just working as a staff (clinical too since we do ABX dosing, round on patients, do anti-coagulation teaching etc) pharmacist in a hospital

I don't plan on moving UNTIL I get a job offer...

Without knowing someone, it's going to be really difficult to even land an interview in the states. A lot of hiring for inpatient jobs is done word of mouth so by the time the posting is up the job is already filled. It's the unfortunate reality of the current job market.

As for your CV, without all the residency fluff it's basically going to be a resume. Since you won't have publications and projects to spice it up, you might want to add a section for "Skills and Proficiencies" or something similar where you can showcase your qualifications.