MPH CV vs Resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThisisReality

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, for SOPHAS - I'm trying to figure out which one would be better to use... a 2 page resume or write a CV with some more description on my leadership positions.

Also, if I have a CV, do you think filling out the experiences section is redundant? Or would it be where the "most important" activities to me are put.

I know this has been asked before, but there doesn't seem to be a clear decision based on my search.

Members don't see this ad.

CV if you're planning to go the academic route. Resume if you're not. I'd suspect most applying through SOPHAS submit resumes. Also you should have plenty of space in your personal statements to discuss leadership positions, etc. but that's just my two cents.

I don't know if there is a "correct" answer. I am in a room with a group of 11 people who applied last year, and 8 of us used CVs and 3 used resumes. We all got into our program. I chose to use a CV to provide more information, and I also added everything that was relevant to public health to experiences on SOPHAS. The schools know there will be redundancy. Some schools choose to put more emphasis on the CV/resume and others spend more time reviewing experiences on SOPHAS, so it is best to fill out both.