CVS COVID SUPPORT PHARMACIST

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In Texas at least, pharmacists and their staff are specifically listed under the healthcare worker designation to be first in line for vaccines. I have friends in hospitals that already got their first dose this week, and my company told us to get ourselves and any staff that wants it first thing when it comes in the next week.
Bunch of my friends got vaccinated in AZ but they work in hospital. I was wondering why they got it even though they don’t deal with covid patient directly but I guess everyone in hospital staff is getting it.

Members don't see this ad.

It is pretty outrageous that there are all these whining pharmacists in there 20-50s that are not high risk complaining about not being able to get the vaccine if they cannot and ones that are capable and are not high risk would butt in front ahead of someone that is highrisk that would be more likely to benefit than a low risk person. All these ppl say they went o pharmacy school to help people and now wanna butt ahead, selfish.

News flash...a lot of people who go to pharmacy school don't go with the explicit thought of helping people. A lot do, but it's not as overwhelmingly the majority as you would find in med school or nursing school, where more "direct" patient care is what students signed up for.

That said, I think it's reasonable for vaccination pharmacists to be concerned about not being offered a vaccine. Risk is relative. They're not in a position to work from home, so they're at a higher risk than the many who can work remotely. From a practical standpoint, any vaccinating pharmacist that gets infected won't be available to administer shots for a few weeks at best. Even worse, those high risk people coming to get shots will be at risk of contracting the virus from them during the asymptomatic phase...before the vaccine has time to be effective. FWIW, I don't practice and I don't expect to have the opportunity to receive the vaccine until at least late spring. I don't think its so cut and dried though. From mortality risk standpoint, there are populations that are undoubtedly higher than vaccinating pharmacists. In terms of work force though, for the country to go back to full re-opening...many (or majority) are under 65. These consist of the main population who care for and in many ways financially support the high risk populations. The faster the work force population is vaccinated, the sooner everyone's life (including higher risk populations) goes back to normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is pretty outrageous that there are all these whining pharmacists in there 20-50s that are not high risk complaining about not being able to get the vaccine if they cannot and ones that are capable and are not high risk would butt in front ahead of someone that is highrisk that would be more likely to benefit than a low risk person. All these ppl say they went o pharmacy school to help people and now wanna butt ahead, selfish.
Lol I think I have only met few pharmacist who really went to pharmacy school to help people so yeah it’s not majority like wazoodog said. And if you really want to make that big of impact, you should have gone to medicine or nursing.

Heh. I haven't decided when and if I'll get it but this guy's statements are laughable.

Follow the logic. I'm going into nursing homes because CVS/Walgreens got contracted to do it. You can argue these facilities could have done it themselves (probably). They are hiring pharmacists because they still need to operate their retail locations and need additional help to execute this mass vaccination process. So I'm already helping people... and probably getting paid less than you in the process.

If I get sick, or any number of pharmacists like me, they are out at least 2-3 weeks and can't help anyone while they are out. It doesn't matter young and vibrant. You are still out of action. Bring in fresh bodies. Rinse. Repeat. Same risk.

Am I essential? Definitely not. But do you know why there is a shortage of doctors and nurses in hospitals right now? Enough got infected that they are running short on staff.

Thankfully, I don't even get to make decisions on who gets what. The powers that be do. And if I qualify, I will make my own decision.

Sounds like these companies made crap deals with the government.

They don’t care about you or more importantly your family. It’s laughable that you aren’t even offered the vaccine prior to helping others.

A downright shame to the profession.

Reactions: 1 user
I received an offer from CVS as a temp COVID vaccine immunizer.No interview with just a phone screen.Does any CVS minion have any info about these positions.They are popping up all over. Screener said most initial work is offsite.
Hi, how was phone screen? Is it like phone interview? Any tips?

Garbage job. Just like others have been receiving contacts from chain and staffing agencies they seem to be targeting all active licensed rphs. From other posts. I theorize all you get is hourly wage, no benefits and in turn you go into covid hotspots to administer tons of shots, are expected to be essentially on call, no long term employment and limited reimbursement for travel expenses. I think the only target employee this could fit is a retiree and then their advanced age will be a deterrent to taking it. If you are a new grad out of work its only a bandage for a lack of a career. Makes me thankful for my real job. Anyone who takes one of these please share your actual experience. Btw read an article critical of CVS and Walgreens saying they are part of the reason the vaccination roll out in ltc is slow because they aren't familiar with how ltc works.

I just recently got fed up and left retail to retire.This job is great for me.Good wages and no retail.We all know its temp with no benefits. You treat it as a travel assignment. I worked for a month mainly doing LTC.These include assisted living and nursing homes.
We have a daily team of 4 to 5.(We use Pfizer) Some pharmacists just do data entry. Some give shots and data entry.Temps just do shots.They have no computer training.I help with some clerical stuff also.
In assisted living residents come to us.In nursing homes we also give shots in residents rooms.We also give staff their shots.
I have only met one other temp besides me but I know there is more just by the chats.Most other pharmacists work retail and do it as
their shift or for the extra wampum.It is an easy gig.
The shifts are about 6 to 7 hours.You are right that it is almost on call.I am averaging about 30 hours a week.It is much less physically demanding than
retail.You can actually sit down
Ive asked the other pharmacists and they unanimously preferred this over retail.
My boss says we are about a third done.
When the vaccine comes to your store I really do not know how the workload will be handled.By then I will be on a beach smoking some ganja.

I just recently got fed up and left retail to retire.This job is great for me.Good wages and no retail.We all know its temp with no benefits. You treat it as a travel assignment. I worked for a month mainly doing LTC.These include assisted living and nursing homes.
We have a daily team of 4 to 5.(We use Pfizer) Some pharmacists just do data entry. Some give shots and data entry.Temps just do shots.They have no computer training.I help with some clerical stuff also.
In assisted living residents come to us.In nursing homes we also give shots in residents rooms.We also give staff their shots.
I have only met one other temp besides me but I know there is more just by the chats.Most other pharmacists work retail and do it as
The shifts are about 6 to 7 hours.You are right that it is almost on call.I am averaging about 30 hours a week.It is much less physically demanding than
Ive asked the other pharmacists and they unanimously preferred this over retail.
When the vaccine comes to your store I really do not know how the workload will be handled.By then I will be on a beach smoking some ganja.
Thanks for sharing. How do feel about your personal risk to contract COVID? Did you get immunized first? And how are the demands for volume?

Do you remember when you got emails for background check (personal information confirmation) and drug test instruction after accepting an offer? Thanks!

I asked him and was given a wishy washy answer that’s why I’m trying to see if anyone got that too. I’ll verify again today before I accept the offer. They offered me around 57. Did you apply to it too? You’re in CA right?
I’m also in CA and got similar offer
Do you have any idea if this rate is negotiable?
it seems less than a retail pharmacist hourly rate