CVS Internship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonchalantTeen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting pharmacy school and was thinking of applying to the CVS Internship Program in Maryland. However, I have been hearing horror stories about how CVS works their interns long hours (more than 8-10 hrs/week) during the school year, despite how busy that student may be. I would love to intern with CVS but I really wish that the internship program wasn't year round (I would've preferred seasonal). Anyway, has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, how have you gone about it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a CVS intern and only worked 8ish hours a week during the school year this semester (I work another job also, so that's the most I could do at CVS). They only ask for 8 hours a week average and have always told me they know it might go down during the semester and increase during semester. You're normally using tech hours, so it should depend on your store and their needs. Idk, nobody has said anything to me.

-

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also an Intern, it varies depending on the pharmacy manager and store. Usually they know how much they are willing to give/need so be frank and upfront on your expectations. I found out about my position through school emails and my current manager was looking for someone to do 15-20 hours/week. Once trained I definitely was averaging close to 20 the past few semesters. Part of it also due to increased script count due to a pharmacy closing nearby and staffing issues.

Although it would be sweet to start learning the system now and being trained early on. If your hesitate about possible hours I would just wait until you start school. A lot of places send out emails regarding intern hiring throughout school and usually include their expectations regarding hours required. But be upfront about how many hours you want to be at. I'm OK with my hours since I plan on staying on board with CVS and do retail. I do envy those working 2 Saturday shifts a month. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding the internship.

Most district managers just say they want you to work 8 hours a week at minimum. But they're not the ones that schedule you and don't see how often you work. So long as your pharmacist or scheduler will work with u, you could do as little or as many hours as you like. It's definitely manageable. Working your first year is probably one of the easiest, so work enough to be comfortable with the system and all stations, then just work as much or little as you/scheduler like

Reactions: 1 user
Most district managers just say they want you to work 8 hours a week at minimum. But they're not the ones that schedule you and don't see how often you work. So long as your pharmacist or scheduler will work with u, you could do as little or as many hours as you like. It's definitely manageable. Working your first year is probably one of the easiest, so work enough to be comfortable with the system and all stations, then just work as much or little as you/scheduler like

This is bad advice, tbh. First of all district managers don't really deal with interns, rx supervisors do. Second rx sups get an email weekly that includes interns hours worked, average weekly hours ytd, and percent of current training phase completed. They are very aware of how much you are working if they want to be. If it's important to them this advice could bite you in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you just want to get your feet wet? Unless you have no other options as far as internships, the only reason to intern for CVS is to end up working for them after you graduate. In any case, supposedly it is not an automatic acceptance into being an intern like in the good old days with CVS.

-

Last edited:
PIC < DM < RM... the DM interviews interns for a job upon graduation. There's also an intern coordinator. I don't think CVS even has a job title rx sup. The PIC is in charge for a store and the DM is in charge of all the pharmacies in the district (and front store too for that matter). But you are correct in the fact that the DM can see anything they want as far as hours. Maybe other companies use the terms pharmacy manager and rx sup for PIC and DM.

I had an RX Sup at CVS. I thought everyone did. They were inbetween PIC and DM.

PIC < DM < RM... the DM interviews interns for a job upon graduation. There's also an intern coordinator. I don't think CVS even has a job title rx sup. The PIC is in charge for a store and the DM is in charge of all the pharmacies in the district (and front store too for that matter). But you are correct in the fact that the DM can see anything they want as far as hours. Maybe other companies use the terms pharmacy manager and rx sup for PIC and DM.

More Bad advice. Where you say "I don't think" why not instead say I have no idea what I'm talking about so am just going to make stuff up?

Cvs does have a job title rx sup. It is between pics and DM. The intern coordinator is responsible for onboarding interns. They do not manage them going forward. The pics and rxsups do.

If you want to be a good pharmacist you need to work while you are in school. If you can't maintain good grades and work 15 hours per week (2 nights and every other weekend). Drop out now. You can't handle it. I don't care if you work community (chain or independent) or hospital or any other experience you can get.

Without the experience you will be hard pressed to get a job or keep a job once you graduate. I presently have 4 interns at my store they all work 10-15 hours per week and one works 30 hours per week. This idea that you won't be able to keep up is crap, pure and simple.

Reactions: 4 users
This is bad advice, tbh. First of all district managers don't really deal with interns, rx supervisors do. Second rx sups get an email weekly that includes interns hours worked, average weekly hours ytd, and percent of current training phase completed. They are very aware of how much you are working if they want to be. If it's important to them this advice could bite you in the ass.

You're right. Let me rephrase... In my experience, the Rx Sup (which is the District Pharmacy supervisor > PIC but < actual district manager) don't track you very strictly, YMMV. However, they mostly just want you to average 8-10hrs minimum per week.

Having said this, I do agree with what old timer's post about being able to maintain good grades while working simultaneously through the week or on weekends.

You're right. Let me rephrase... In my experience, the Rx Sup (which is the District Pharmacy supervisor > PIC but < actual district manager) don't track you very strictly, YMMV. However, they mostly just want you to average 8-10hrs minimum per week.

Having said this, I do agree with what old timer's post about being able to maintain good grades while working simultaneously through the week or on weekends.

Emphasis on YMMV. I agree with you that many don't care. But in my region, I work closely with the interns and they have had their average weekly hours 1) brought up in interviews for pharmacist positions, 2) emailed to them asking why they are so low, and 3) mentioned to PICs by the sups during mSH visits as a concern that needs to be addressed.