CVS manager rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Al Bundy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, been lurking for awhile, wanted to get an idea of how other CVS Pharmacists do with overtime. I've been with the company around 6 years, pharmacy manager for 5. Our DM's (store and pharmacy) have started calling stores this year if they are an hour or more over Rph budget during the week and expect us to trim hours. I said it is impossible to expect us to clock in exactly at opening, closing, or during shift changes. There will always be 10-15 min here and there each day. They agreed, and we were told to schedule 92 hours instead of 95. The kicker is we had 102 last year, and scripts this year are higher than ever (~2700). Not sure how that worked out, especially when mySchedule says we need a 3rd Rph on some days but whatever.

Throw in our new 9pm closing time and I have NO time to complete manager functions. I worked HARD last week completing action plans, C2 returns, myHeart conversations with 8 employees (joy), 7 pages of C2 audits, while trying to keep up WeCare metrics as my staff Rph was on vacation. We used 97 hours (over 2 hours) and I just got an earful for my sup. The fact that we used 93 hours the week before didn't matter. I wanted to point out that our district possibly has the worst floater pool in the company but decided against. That was my reward for the hard work.

The thought of leaving/stepping down has never crossed my mind until now. I have no control over my schedule, and the $1 raise I got for taking the position and $900 bonus last year certainly isn't helping matters. I do love the team I've built around me, which is why I am not looking at simply throwing up my hands and walking away. Anybody else have strict OT like this and how do you manage it? Any advise is appreciated as I am just about done with my 6 pack this lovely memorial weekend evening.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not heard of pharmacists clocking in and out. Is this a California thing?
I get scheduled and get paid what I'm scheduled. If I show up 10 minutes early it's like working for free. If I stay 1 hour late then it's free. Not unusual now to stay late since the pharmacy closes at 9pm but the front store stays open until 10pm.

I have not heard of pharmacists clocking in and out. Is this a California thing?
I get scheduled and get paid what I'm scheduled. If I show up 10 minutes early it's like working for free. If I stay 1 hour late then it's free. Not unusual now to stay late since the pharmacy closes at 9pm but the front store stays open until 10pm.
Yeah. It must be CA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your DM/Supervisor is a complete and total *****. Start looking. If you have good techs, take them with you....

Your job sounds like a nightmare....would working in a shoe store be any worse?

Sorry, I have no advice. Maybe buy another 6-pack?

Sounds like the most logical thing is to show up 15 min late daily

I thought our rph hours were slim with 92 h for 1800 weekly scripts and a store open 82 houra

Sounds like the most logical thing is to show up 15 min late daily

I thought our rph hours were slim with 92 h for 1800 weekly scripts and a store open 82 houra
we re open 82 hrs a week and we do abt 2300 a week with 82 rph hrs. Crazy

Reactions: 1 user
by clocking in and out the OP meant technicians clocking out late, 15 mins late per person per day adds up. so the tech hours went over tech budgets. and the district f*ckers call and demand they schedule the techs several hours less each week.. less tech than previous year, a lot more script volume this year. what's worst is with less tech help, some of them are also untrained and clueless.. its chaos. and its unsafe to fill prescriptions.

by clocking in and out the OP meant technicians clocking out late, 15 mins late per person per day adds up. so the tech hours went over tech budgets. and the district f*ckers call and demand they schedule the techs several hours less each week.. less tech than previous year, a lot more script volume this year. what's worst is with less tech help, some of them are also untrained and clueless.. its chaos. and its unsafe to fill prescriptions.

He said RPh budget, not tech budget. He also said "we", which sounds like pharmacists, not techs.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

FYI all the '10 PM' stores now close at 9 PM. There are still 14-hour stores in my region as their hours are 7 AM to 9 PM (the hours were not trimmed to 8 PM for these stores).

I would cut doing things that are non-essential to the basic operation of the pharmacy while doing the stuff you actually get measured on (metrics) that you can actually control and stuff that is important for compliance with company policy and procedures and following the law, specifically LP stuff like doing CII counts on time, doing CII returns, doing regulatory box paperwork correctly, doing the RX validation, preparing for LP audits (apparently you WILL get written up for failing these audits, so you gotta make sure everything is pristine lest you have a nitpicky RLPM), etc.

1) Action plans. Not essential. Just blast through the performance review and repeat the same action plans month after month. I have 1 plan for MCE, 1 plan for WeCare, 1 plan for KPM. They never change. If I get written up for not updating plans, so be it. If everything is peachy, who cares.

2) MyImpact. Not essential. Just print them off. Nag people to do what they're supposed to do otherwise. If I get written up for not actually doing conversations, so be it. If your MCE is fine, who cares (mine is not fine but I honestly don't care. It was better than last year anyway).

3) WeCare. I only do the stuff that really matters to avoid that death spiral where everything is expedited (nag everyone to do QT and do QT myself; one week I ended up with logging 170 action notes myself) and cheat metrics on prescriber calls (somehow I am getting 40 percent on this while I don't actually make a single call) and voicemail retrieval. The company target is apparently now 50 so if you are above that and your sup complains when you have no help, your sup is a douche.

4) You can call this Stockholm syndrome, but my store's RPH budget was cut from 103 hours last year to 86 this year while the store is currently selling 2550-2700 scripts (this is 15-20% above budget, including controls, every week since early Feb compared to LY, so basically I am paying for the sins of the previous PICs and the fact that CVS lost a contract with a major Medicaid plan in my state. This store would drown if we still had those Medicaid scripts but water finds its level). Perhaps you could get used to doing more with less. Four hours of overlap doesn't help me much and I don't get to use the overlap on Monday anyway. Ultimately, there is not even a 2nd pharmacist for overlap. I just tell my split-shift RPH to go home (when I do have one) and otherwise I'm working 13 hours while the floater is on their own as well.

5) Floaters. Aren't floaters horrible everywhere? LOL. Well, you don't get the option of working overtime since it sounds like you are in CA so you can tell your sup that floaters are accountable to the sup so how is it your fault that floaters aren't doing their job? They destroy my WeCare but I don't care since I just have to stay above 50 apparently (one week I was actually on target to have a 93 since I was getting stuff out on time 98-99%--subtract 8-9% for rebills and late refill request authorizations) but I lost 19 points due to a floater who worked Friday/Saturday/Sunday). I can't call on the staff RPHs at other stores in my area to help me out since they have their own problems at their stores. I get to do OT since I'm not in CA so I have resigned myself to doing all the hours my one remaining floater and PT pharmacist can't do because I'd rather do things how I want them to be done then walk into 18-19 pages in QP with 10 already past due (red) after some dickbag floater who's worked 100 years works a couple days. Well I shouldn't be so harsh but if they didn't want to verify 500 a day alone (and literally that is all they do aside from doing pick-up and drive-thru a couple of times + taking prescriber calls) they shouldn't float at my store.

TLDR: focus on getting stuff out on time while making it look like you are trying on WeCare, KPM (doing calls), etc. Focus on stuff that prevents you from running afoul of the DEA, RLPM, and board of pharmacy. Forget everything else. Let your sup know that your floaters are destroying your store and you can't control that.

As others have said already, there is no OT in most states for pharmacists. There are unions in some places preaching same thing - do not work a single minute off the clock. You have been around the block with 5 years at PIC with the company, so you know what is going on. Sounds like the only way to deal with it is to ignore your sup or not do certain management tasks. I am not even sure myimpact and action plans is management. When it comes to doing BoP/DEA compliance versus CVS LP compliance versus Action plans, I am sure you know what takes priority. I heard people have been written up for bad WeCare scores etc. Is your sup writing people up for OT issues?

My sup threatened every PIC with level 1 counseling if we go beyond budgeted hours based on "MySchedule" (going over is impossible at my store so I don't worry about it myself) but as far as I know this threat has fallen on deaf ears as almost the whole district is in red for both FS and Rx payroll (every month), particularly the 24-hour stores with the overnight pharmacist hours to account for. I'm thinking a lot of PICs in this district think termination is liberation at this point and are all looking to bail at the first opportunity.

I'm seriously considering asking my sup: why don't you work or send your best people work with the budget given there for a week and let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you think this is what you went to school for?

If you are working for CVS regardless if you are a PIC, staff pharmacist, intern, tech or clerk, you need to apply for a new job every day. Get out. Get out while you still can.

Every time I hear about CVS I wonder how they keep any good employees. "Wecare" "myHeart" "action plans" How do you guys even pretend to care about this stuff?

so it's a given that every business expects their sales to grow year-over-year. but, how does CVS or WAG keep trimming hours or keep hours stagnant? doesn't make sense! glad my employer have some business sense

If you can't increase sales, you slash payroll to main year-over-year growth.

so it's a given that every business expects their sales to grow year-over-year. but, how does CVS or WAG keep trimming hours or keep hours stagnant? doesn't make sense! glad my employer have some business sense

By not selling cigarettes, CVS has to meet its revenue and profit projection by:

(1) cutting pharmacy hours
(2) cutting tech hours
(3) no benefits for floaters unless they work X hours a week.

I watch CVS closely because they are leading the pack. They are also exporting their management style and metrics as their ex managers are hired by other companies including hospitals so don't think you are safe just because you don't work in retails.

If you work for CVS, you have a few choices:

(1) leave
(2) unionize
(3) just keep on taking it

Not enough pharmacists care or too scared so option 2 is a long shot.

Last edited:

Yep, here in California, its OT for any time worked above an 8 hour shift. Working off the clock is a serious violation in policy, so there is not a whole lot of wiggle room when tasks get backed up

Your DM/Supervisor is a complete and total *****. Start looking. If you have good techs, take them with you....
I agree with most of your posts Old Timer, you seem to share my outlook on managing here at CVS. Im at $69/hour, so Im guessing there will be a reduction in pay wherever I go. Maybe floating is an option. Not sure how my DM will respond

I agree with most of your posts Old Timer, you seem to share my outlook on managing here at CVS. Im at $69/hour, so Im guessing there will be a reduction in pay wherever I go. Maybe floating is an option. Not sure how my DM will respond

Have you ever had a sit down with your supervisor? My supe is always looking for ways to make things easier for us. His ability to do that is shrinking by the day. Your boss is under pressure and so you are under pressure. How are you doing in scrips VS budget?

I watch CVS closely because they are leading the pack. They are also exporting their management style and metrics as their ex managers are hired by other companies including hospitals so don't think you are safe just because you don't work in retails.

If you work for CVS, you have a few choices:

(1) leave
(2) unionize
(3) just keep on taking it

Not enough pharmacists care or too scared so option 2 is a long shot.

Yep. Any company/hospital that feels they need to improve efficiency will look at CVS ex managers and in some cases it is justified. There are local unions but their benefit is being questioned. Their main function at this point is to allow you to keep your job so you can do (3) just keep on taking it. So they help you with write ups and job security. They also can help with compensation in some cases. They have very limited power in improving work conditions.

If you clock in/out at the correct time it forces you to do either 1 of 3 things:

1. Work off the clock (Probably what CVS wants and often gets)
2. Leave as scheduled and leave the store in a cluster f*ck
3. Increase your efficiency (I doubt many pharmacists are leaving anything on the table to being with)

It's your choice, but don't go over hours and cost CVS money!

Hey guys, been lurking for awhile, wanted to get an idea of how other CVS Pharmacists do with overtime. I've been with the company around 6 years, pharmacy manager for 5. Our DM's (store and pharmacy) have started calling stores this year if they are an hour or more over Rph budget during the week and expect us to trim hours. I said it is impossible to expect us to clock in exactly at opening, closing, or during shift changes. There will always be 10-15 min here and there each day. They agreed, and we were told to schedule 92 hours instead of 95. The kicker is we had 102 last year, and scripts this year are higher than ever (~2700). Not sure how that worked out, especially when mySchedule says we need a 3rd Rph on some days but whatever.

Throw in our new 9pm closing time and I have NO time to complete manager functions. I worked HARD last week completing action plans, C2 returns, myHeart conversations with 8 employees (joy), 7 pages of C2 audits, while trying to keep up WeCare metrics as my staff Rph was on vacation. We used 97 hours (over 2 hours) and I just got an earful for my sup. The fact that we used 93 hours the week before didn't matter. I wanted to point out that our district possibly has the worst floater pool in the company but decided against. That was my reward for the hard work.

The thought of leaving/stepping down has never crossed my mind until now. I have no control over my schedule, and the $1 raise I got for taking the position and $900 bonus last year certainly isn't helping matters. I do love the team I've built around me, which is why I am not looking at simply throwing up my hands and walking away. Anybody else have strict OT like this and how do you manage it? Any advise is appreciated as I am just about done with my 6 pack this lovely memorial weekend evening.

Would you be interested in an xfer? PM me...

I think CVS dropped the ball with this one. I lost 13 Rph hours even while doing more scripts at >4k volume store. I am surviving fine but the key selling point was more sales = more help. Not the other way around.

I am doing what other people are saying.... screw the action plans. I only have one which is customer service focused. I do my impact coaching conversations with key members of the team only, or people who need it.. (new employees or people who are NI).

My WeCare was always good because we follow work flow.

However with my current floater pool, or lack of floaters..., I have been thinking about quitting. The only thing stopping me is I like you make >70$ and will be taking a huge pay cut working else where.

My problem with CVS is that they straight up lied to us. They keep pushing MySchedule because it schedules to stores' demands. That is a bunch of bull crap.

The only thing stopping me is I like you make >70$ and will be taking a huge pay cut working else where.

+1. And my team.

I have been thinking about quitting. The only thing stopping me is I like you make >70$ and will be taking a huge pay cut working else where.

Lets talk about the money. $70 k pre-taxed (or $50 k after taxes) is a lot of money but is it worth it? Is the extra money really going to change your life?

Have you ever had a sit down with your supervisor? My supe is always looking for ways to make things easier for us. His ability to do that is shrinking by the day. Your boss is under pressure and so you are under pressure. How are you doing in scrips VS budget?
You are exactly right. We have a new regional supe, apparently its coming from them and rolling downhill until it stops on me. This year its 5's across the board on scrips (one month was a 4), and 5's every month so far on MCP to budget. I took over in 2011 with 1300 being our best week, now hitting 2800 some weeks. Looking at the profit "my" store is generating each month, one would think an occasional overage here and there to keep our business running smoothly would be justified. I've asked at what level we need to be at to bump up our hours and didn't get an answer. My DM is doing a store visit next week, gonna explore some options with him that doesn't include my punches being analyzed on a weekly basis while asked to explain my 1-2 hour overtime for the week.

Lets talk about the money. $70 k pre-taxed (or $50 k after taxes) is a lot of money but is it worth it? Is the extra money really going to change your life?

He means >$70 hour. You can make up to $220-230k as a PIC nowadays. Hard to leave that.

He means >$70 hour. You can make up to $220-230k as a PIC nowadays. Hard to leave that.

If it is $70 an hour, then that is $145 k a year. I guess you can make more with bonuses. I certainly wouldn't do it for $145 k a year tho. Maybe for $250 k.

If you invest your money wisely, you can easily make up the difference.

Would you be interested in an xfer? PM me...

I think CVS dropped the ball with this one. I lost 13 Rph hours even while doing more scripts at >4k volume store. I am surviving fine but the key selling point was more sales = more help. Not the other way around.

I am doing what other people are saying.... screw the action plans. I only have one which is customer service focused. I do my impact coaching conversations with key members of the team only, or people who need it.. (new employees or people who are NI).

My WeCare was always good because we follow work flow.

However with my current floater pool, or lack of floaters..., I have been thinking about quitting. The only thing stopping me is I like you make >70$ and will be taking a huge pay cut working else where.
That is what drives me crazy! Increased scrips=decreased Rph hours. Guess I feel better since its happening at other stores too..? They justify the loss of Rph hours by saying tech hours have been increased but I don't see that to be the case in my store. Our store also follows work flow (68 YTD), but doesn't heavily rely on the assignment board to direct it. Got called out on it last week, and the station I use to verify scripts. Im going to lose my mind.

Money doesn't buy happiness. I'd take 120 k somewhere else over 145 k at cvs any day. This case is a catch 22, especially in California:

Work off the clock- risk termination
Work as scheduled- lots of tasks will not be done and the store will crash more and more daily. One of the stores I used to work at hit over 50 pages in qp during the new year

Money doesn't buy happiness. I'd take 120 k somewhere else over 145 k at cvs any day. This case is a catch 22, especially in California:

Work off the clock- risk termination
Work as scheduled- lots of tasks will not be done and the store will crash more and more daily. One of the stores I used to work at hit over 50 pages in qp during the new year

First, nobody works just 4o hours. Next, when you factor in bonuses, stock options, 5% 401K match, Holiday pay and OT you make closer to between 180K and 200K.

The most powerful thing to do is unionize, but that is a very difficult and long process.

The second most powerful thing to do is quit. That is much quicker assuming you can find a job. Walgreens is bad but not nearly as bad as CVS.

A close friend just quit CVS after this storm hit, took a $5 hit to work at a hospital, but gets 1.5 OT for a set amount per week so the pay works out to close to the same. Even if it didn't they said they wouldn't care about a 20k pay cut looking back.

If you think it's bad now, you'll be shocked at your Stockholm syndrome and how bad it really was once you leave.

At a minimum all CVS pharmacists should at least be sending in union cards for the CHANCE to vote in a union. You can always vote it down, but it's amazing what companies come up with voluntarily to keep a union off the property. Companies get the unions they deserve.

It seems the only thing to do to hold CVS accountable is to quit. Workstation assignment boards? Who the **** has time to do that **** when you open and there are already multiple customers waiting for service. It sounds like established stores are seeing RPH hours cut independent of actual trends in script volume. Who the **** cares if I verify at a production station (actually got criticized for this one time) because I also fill, too. (That's what you want right? Pharmacists doing more and more with less and less.)

Money indeed isn't everything. 401k matching and health insurance are basic expectations coming from a Fortune 20 company.

The funny thing is if you've survived CVS (working at least a year for this company) you've shown that you can tolerate their bull****. Good luck trying to hire someone new who won't quit in 2 months.

First, nobody works just 4o hours. Next, when you factor in bonuses, stock options, 5% 401K match, Holiday pay and OT you make closer to between 180K and 200K.

which you also get as a staff pharmacist or working at another company.

It seems the only thing to do to hold CVS accountable is to quit. Workstation assignment boards? Who the **** has time to do that **** when you open and there are already multiple customers waiting for service. It sounds like established stores are seeing RPH hours cut independent of actual trends in script volume. Who the **** cares if I verify at a production station (actually got criticized for this one time) because I also fill, too. (That's what you want right? Pharmacists doing more and more with less and less.).

If you're not doing the workstation assignment board, you are going to fail at CVS. Period. I am as sick of the BS and programs and everything as everyone else, but I can honestly say that not using the WSAB is shooting yourself in the foot. Make it an expectation with your staff that it is filled out the night before and you don't have to worry about it in the morning.

As for verifying at the production station, I'm cracking up that you got criticized for this. My RXSup requires us to do this in the morning so that we can fill and then just check the acutes and waiters without walking around to QA and walking back to production again.

How does CVS survive as a company? I don't understand how they do so well.

The independent I formerly worked for swallowed a CVS whole and purchased all their files. It was Wal-Mart, our independent, and CVS and the CVS got edged out. Rural town loyalty won out.

I've worked at independents much busier than any CVS I've ever worked at and I never needed to have a WSAD. Everyone goes where they're needed to be. Focus is always on quick checkout, if that slows down production and intake, so be it.

If you have to use the WSAB your techs probably suck/are low IQ.

I have always liked the idea of the WSAB (fair, assigned roles) but I have never worked in a store that actually uses it. So much work to fill it out and making sure everyone is following their assigned stations. Bleh. People should know what to do.

I cannot imagine a day without the WSAB. I don't have to tell everyone what to do. During the middle of the day we have 2 pharmacists and 7-9 technicians. It is a circus without the structure the WSAB provides. I don't believe in most things CVS does but without the WSAB we would be screwed.

We have a 96 ytd WeCare and are 6 points over target for MCE doing 3000+ per week. Although I question how useful or important either of those are the fact remains that we enforce the WSAB and get results on what my supervisor says is important.

If we have 9 we send someone to lunch. Biggest card I have is 2 Rph 8 techs. There is a 3 Rph 10 tech card but I know of no stores that get 3 Rph at once anymore.

At Walmart we have 3 rph frequently in stores. In a cvs how do you possible find the time to do immunizations and talk to patients?

I cannot imagine a day without the WSAB. I don't have to tell everyone what to do. During the middle of the day we have 2 pharmacists and 7-9 technicians. It is a circus without the structure the WSAB provides. I don't believe in most things CVS does but without the WSAB we would be screwed.

We have a 96 ytd WeCare and are 6 points over target for MCE doing 3000+ per week. Although I question how useful or important either of those are the fact remains that we enforce the WSAB and get results on what my supervisor says is important.

We have no overlap and max out at 4 techs. Our WeCare is around 95 but I guess with 4 techs it's pretty obvious where everyone should be. I'm surprised you get so many techs at 3,000. I think it might be nice to work at a store like this... I can't stand walking back and fourth between production and pick-up all day long.

Last edited:
In a sense, I have "failed" at CVS since using the workstation assignment board is one way to enforce fairness and get techs proficient at everything. In reality they know to help customers first without the help of the board, know their secondary roles, etc. (One possible explanation is that with no PIC or staff pharmacists for a long time those stupid enough not to quit figured out what causes the least amount of customer bitching and moaning.) MySchedule can generate assignments but it won't populate assignments with PSAs/tech trainees and half my "real" techs aren't good at anything anyway.

CVS survives as a company in part due to suckers like me who will tolerate verifying ~650 scripts (on 48 tech hours so it wasn't that bad) because bad floaters leave a mess behind and **** up your CII counts (the day after Memorial Day no less).

I heard at Walmart the trade-off is fewer tech hours with more pharmacists. I really wouldn't like working with a ****ty pharmacist as a co-worker since it's already bad enough having to clean up floater messes like 90-150 late scripts the first thing in the morning (again more CVS Stockholm syndrome).

We did 600 yesterday on 40 hours and we actually felt better staffed than our typical 400 scripts on 32 hours. I think it was because production could just count and not get pulled around between pick-up/drive through like a pinball machine due to someone being dedicated to these stations. Plus a large portion of that was ReadyFill. I agree though I think if I was a pharmacist I'd rather have more techs as opposed to overlap. Overlap would only outweigh an extra 2 techs during flu season though an intern would solve this problem too.

If it is $70 an hour, then that is $145 k a year. I guess you can make more with bonuses. I certainly wouldn't do it for $145 k a year tho. Maybe for $250 k.

If you invest your money wisely, you can easily make up the difference.

I am in the top percentage paid in terms of pharmacist salary so I don't want to out myself. However my base is a little bit shy of 160k... and like other PICs here, is probably on track to making 180-220k for the year once you factor in over time, bonuses, stock options, vacation pay, and holiday pay.

I also invest my money wisely like Warios etc, so I get my 15 percent ESPP bonus yearly and my 401k match which is 5 percent of my salary.

In addition, I also get corporate benefits such as their car fleet discount so I saved a few thousand on my Mercedes after negotiating hard, commuter benefits, etc.

Here is my compensation benefits for 2015:

Base: 159,xxx
Holiday: 3,xxx (factoring in 6 paid national holidays)
Lump Sum merit: 2,xxx (given when your salary is capped)
Pharmacist incentive: 5,xxx (I got 10,xxx last year)
Vacation pay and Vacation pay prior: 3 weeks... and any time un-used is paid out the year after. I always have a few hours un-used...

I also have 401k match which is ~8,xxx
I have stock options which is usually ~3,xxx after cashed but granted at 1.5k
I have ESPP @25,500 with a 15 percent discount... which is ~3.8k

My minimum compensation is 180k. I usually pick up 1-2 shifts every pay check.... which is approximately 25 to 30k a year depending on the shifts.

All together, I am probably going to end the year with a compensation of 200-210k.

With my investments such
ESPP return... my last grant price was 59.84 and 64.63 respectively when the stock is at 103 this year..., so I made about 10k
401k return... it goes up and down my annualized return is 17 percent the last 3 years. ~20k last year
Real estate...
Stock...

I have so many investments that I cant keep track of it because how do you value real estate, and my stocks go up or down a few k every day but I made a return of at least 10 - 15 percent last year. This year, my stocks are up about 5 percent...