CVS Production Safety Zone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SClENCE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We can only print one batch of scripts at a time (3 patients).

So rather than having the production tech counting 24/7 while the other techs/pharmacist print and pull in their free time, the production tech prints one batch, pull the drugs, counts them, and as the next batch is printing puts the drugs away and repeats.

This is way slower. We used to have 2-3 pages pulled and ready at any given time without the counter having to stop.

How is this safer/efficient?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel there is a greater chance of an error occurring when more people work on a prescription.

Reactions: 1 user
It's much safer and much more efficient. If one guy counts and pulls, he/she knows what they're working on, whereas if theres two people doing it, one may grab the wrong bottle or count the wrong drug.

Plus, if you follow workflow and count three, put the drugs back then print more, you get waiters and acute prescriptions out faster because you won't be working on a script due at 9 pm when you have a waiter due in 10 minutes. Of course it's efficient.

Not to mention the fact that if you put the bottles back after counting and print 3 more, you won't have like 10 bottles of carvedilol all opened and x'd instead of having one bottle open and the rest sealed. It's more efficient, it's cost effective, it gets patients in and out quicker, and it's SAFER.

Now, I work in a store that does 3,000 a week. During rush hour on a Monday, following the PSZ is almost impossible. I get that. Corporate gets that too. We just need to stop taking everything so literally all the time. Of course there will be situations where you have 7 waiters and you literally can't pull 3 at once. You have to scramble. It is what it is. You scramble, try as hard as you can and get the scripts out the door as safely as possible.

On the other hand, on a Sunday at 9 am, there is no reason for you not to strictly adhere to the PSZ and do it the way it's supposed to be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm all for doing batches at a time. Happens a lot where 3 pages of baskets just pile up on the counter because staff gets interrupted...you get more rts bypassing, false oos's, opened bottles, you lose track of where the labels are for things due soon,..especially if you got those techs that like to pull n scan but leave the counting for later

Don't really care for those mats though

I love PSZ for the reasons stated above. I even like the mats. Anything to stay organized is a good thing in my book.

I often wonder what people think the point of the safety scan is if they're not going to count right away.

The safety scan is probably the most important part of production safety, and one one prescription at a time thing with the mat is seems like common sense and was something that I personally was already doing before the mat, but again I don't see how having someone pre-pull a page or two is less safe. As long as you are scanning the drug I don't see a problem, and in some cases it adds another set of eyes when I catch a mistake on quantity (on thing like birth controls). Instead of having one person count-pull-count you have have one person counting constantly which is more efficient. As RX2090 said, you will get acute/waiters out quicker, but the thing is I can be counting 9:00's while someone is already pulling acutes for me as opposed to stopping counting altogether and pulling them myself. But it's all about common sense. If drop-off has a line and the pharmacist is on the phone, I'm going to print those acutes right away and pull them. It's all common sense, though based upon my experiences with some techs I can see how acutes could sit in there for 20 minutes.

The only downside is you could get more than one open bottle, but again this should be rare as #1 You will probably remember that you just pulled something #2 If there is no open bottle of Lisinopril 1000 count it's probably pulled

It just seems stupid to have the pick-up tech standing around when they could be printing and pulling but I guess I will stick to 3 at a time since everyone seems to love it.

The safety scan is probably the most important part of production safety, and one one prescription at a time thing with the mat is seems like common sense and was something that I personally was already doing before the mat, but again I don't see how having someone pre-pull a page or two is less safe. As long as you are scanning the drug I don't see a problem, and in some cases it adds another set of eyes when I catch a mistake on quantity (on thing like birth controls). Instead of having one person count-pull-count you have have one person counting constantly which is more efficient. As RX2090 said, you will get acute/waiters out quicker, but the thing is I can be counting 9:00's while someone is already pulling acutes for me as opposed to stopping counting altogether and pulling them myself. But it's all about common sense. If drop-off has a line and the pharmacist is on the phone, I'm going to print those acutes right away and pull them. It's all common sense, though based upon my experiences with some techs I can see how acutes could sit in there for 20 minutes.

The only downside is you could get more than one open bottle, but again this should be rare as #1 You will probably remember that you just pulled something #2 If there is no open bottle of Lisinopril 1000 count it's probably pulled

It just seems stupid to have the pick-up tech standing around when they could be printing and pulling but I guess I will stick to 3 at a time since everyone seems to love it.

I have no trouble pulling ahead, but scanning ahead is a no no......

I have no trouble pulling ahead, but scanning ahead is a no no......

Yeah I'd never EVER scan ahead. Maybe the previous posters thought this was what I was saying.

At most of the stores I float at, the ones that pull ahead also scan ahead. I have no problem with pulling ahead (although it can get hectic/unorganized) but I suspect that most people that dislike printing and completing one batch at a time have probably never given it a fair shake. My store used to pull ahead and I thought it was the only way to get anything done. Then we switched to doing it by batches. It is sometimes harder to keep production moving but it really does help keep production organized and working in time order. Personally I liked the change, although sometimes I wondered how much productivity we were losing from not having a stack waiting to be counted at all times.

On a side note, it always blows my mind when I am at a store that has people counting readyfills/tomorrows while things are going red. How hard is it to use common sense and do the stuff that is about to go red? I also do not understand why so many pharmacists won't pre-data enter their scripts or follow workflow. Just follow workflow and let the computer keep you in time order.

At most of the stores I float at, the ones that pull ahead also scan ahead. I have no problem with pulling ahead (although it can get hectic/unorganized) but I suspect that most people that dislike printing and completing one batch at a time have probably never given it a fair shake. My store used to pull ahead and I thought it was the only way to get anything done. Then we switched to doing it by batches. It is sometimes harder to keep production moving but it really does help keep production organized and working in time order. Personally I liked the change, although sometimes I wondered how much productivity we were losing from not having a stack waiting to be counted at all times.

On a side note, it always blows my mind when I am at a store that has people counting readyfills/tomorrows while things are going red. How hard is it to use common sense and do the stuff that is about to go red? I also do not understand why so many pharmacists won't pre-data enter their scripts or follow workflow. Just follow workflow and let the computer keep you in time order.

Yeah, I personally am very organized and keep aware of these type of things, making sure every script is is the right order for verification as well. Though I can see how this system would actually be worse depending on the technician. I'v seen techs who have worked for CVS for 10 years that have the IQ of a potato and are honestly hurting workflow if they are doing anything but pick-up.

I prefer pulling ahead (definitely do not scan) b/c we try pulling by batches but didn't work (I work in busy stores where acutes/waiters can be 2 pages at a time so there's no way we can keep up by doing by 3 at a time). However, when we pull ahead, we also have the same tech who pull put the meds back before pulling more.

Most pharmacists don't input new RX into QT for fear of more "blues" into their queues. They rather let the tech type it and put an antibiotic for 1 or 2 hour later, when clearly the patient will come in sooner than that.

I prefer QV rph to pre-data the scripts once they get off the phone or voicemail or the drive through and so on. But most stores still don't follow this which can be frustrating.

I'm all for doing batches at a time. Happens a lot where 3 pages of baskets just pile up on the counter because staff gets interrupted...you get more rts bypassing, false oos's, opened bottles, you lose track of where the labels are for things due soon,..especially if you got those techs that like to pull n scan but leave the counting for later

YES that is the worst. The techs at my store do that all day. They print the queue, pull, scan and then we get busy and the pickup tech spends 10 minutes looking for a script showing QV when it hasn't even been counted.

On the other hand, CVS wants the production tech to answer the phone too, which 99% of the time requires looking up a profile on the other screen. Plus in my store the computers freeze if we use alt+f2 to flip the screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what's up with every pharmacist requiring the techs to staple the label to the bags? Is it any wonder I work in a challenge store?

Also, what's up with every pharmacist requiring the techs to staple the label to the bags? Is it any wonder I work in a challenge store?

Never worked at a store that did that, although I often wondered if it would make verifying go faster.

It used to occur at a handful of stores back in the day. Now it is explicitly against policy and shouldn't be happening.

Our old pharmacists made us staple the label on but the DM put an end to that pretty quick. I think it's quicker to let the pharmacist do it since they already have to staple the bag closed anyways.

In any workflow based system scanning ahead is the fastest way to make a dispensing error. I worked with a pharmacist who would print out 50 prescriptions, pull the drugs and scan them all then go back and count them out. He made one dispensing error a week and eventually was fired for failing to follow company procedures.

Last edited:
We all agree that scanning ahead is bad and nobody here is suggesting to do this.

It is a stack of baskets waiting to be checked with the labels stapled to the bag. What's to interpret?

regardless of what the picture shows, the official training material says that the Rph is to bag the items and staple at QV. this allows the baskets to stack neatly in time order with the labels sticking up while they're waiting to be verified.

regardless of what the picture shows, the official training material says that the Rph is to bag the items and staple at QV. this allows the baskets to stack neatly in time order with the labels sticking up while they're waiting to be verified.

Which official training material is that? I don't recall any learnet modules or memos ever specifying whether or not a tech can staple a label to an open bag for the pharmacist to check.

The baskets can be stacked neatly in time order with the labels facing out stapled to the bag exactly the way the picture shows, right?

Which official training material is that? I don't recall any learnet modules or memos ever specifying whether or not a tech can staple a label to an open bag for the pharmacist to check.

The baskets can be stacked neatly in time order with the labels facing out stapled to the bag exactly the way the picture shows, right?
Module 206000; slide 46

Wait, why is printing only 3 families at a time considered more efficient? Efficiency is lost when you change tasks, so the more frequently you change tasks the more it will slow you down.

That part of work flow was designed so that even the most incompetent tech can keep things in time order. While I'm not advocating printing 3 pages ahead, I think you can strike a balance and be more effective.

Wait, why is printing only 3 families at a time considered more efficient? Efficiency is lost when you change tasks, so the more frequently you change tasks the more it will slow you down.

That part of work flow was designed so that even the most incompetent tech can keep things in time order. While I'm not advocating printing 3 pages ahead, I think you can strike a balance and be more effective.

This is pretty much what I'm trying to say, plus you can essentially have two people on production (1 counting 1 pulling) rather than someone standing around if there are no customers/the QT is empty.

As far the stapling the label to the bag the DM told us the pharmacist has to do it (CVS policy)

Last edited:

It is not more efficient for filling all prescriptions. It is more efficient for filling prescriptions that are due soon. If you print 1 page (15 prescriptions) and start filling those prescriptions a moment before I put in an acute prescription, then there will be a 10-15 minute delay until you print and fill that acute prescription. This enhances the likelihood that the patient will arrive before it is ready.

Reactions: 1 users
It is not more efficient for filling all prescriptions. It is more efficient for filling prescriptions that are due soon. If you print 1 page (15 prescriptions) and start filling those prescriptions a moment before I put in an acute prescription, then there will be a 10-15 minute delay until you print and fill that acute prescription. This enhances the likelihood that the patient will arrive before it is ready.

Well put. But I still think the farther you are ahead the better things will go. I think in my store if I did three at a time I would just be running in place and never really make any progress on the ques. Maybe it's different in a busier store with a production tech.

Well put. But I still think the farther you are ahead the better things will go. I think in my store if I did three at a time I would just be running in place and never really make any progress on the ques. Maybe it's different in a busier store with a production tech.
Yeah. The problem with workflow is that you need enough staff for it to work. When the payroll nazis come along and try to shave off a few hours, it's like trying to run a reliable truck after taking out the oil. It doesn't work because it's not meant to.

Because, as any Rph that has seen this happen to them, it destroys any possibility of you getting scripts out on time.

Let's say you have a tech who thinks she/he is amazing and prints 4 pages at once and pulls and scans them all and starts counting. While she's arm deep in counting scripts that are due at 11 pm the next day, your drop off tech just put in 3 waiters. But, the tech is in the middle of counting and pulling scripts due at 11 pm.

Now, let's say one of the waiters is for atenolol 50 mg. those come in 1000 count bottles. The tech goes to pull it, and she sees you're OOS on it. But, the reality is, the bottle is in a basket under 9 other baskets at production because that "super tech" decided to pull 4 pages at once and throw the atenolol bottle in there.

It just creates a giant cluster****. There's no need to go crazy and print and print and print. Work slowly, print 3 at a time, put the drugs back, then print 3 more. I promise you, the chances of making a mistake will dwindle, you will get scripts out on time, patients will be happier, you won't have 6 bottles of the same 1000 count drug all open, you won't have false out of stock situations, etc....

Because, as any Rph that has seen this happen to them, it destroys any possibility of you getting scripts out on time.

Let's say you have a tech who thinks she/he is amazing and prints 4 pages at once and pulls and scans them all and starts counting. While she's arm deep in counting scripts that are due at 11 pm the next day, your drop off tech just put in 3 waiters. But, the tech is in the middle of counting and pulling scripts due at 11 pm.

Now, let's say one of the waiters is for atenolol 50 mg. those come in 1000 count bottles. The tech goes to pull it, and she sees you're OOS on it. But, the reality is, the bottle is in a basket under 9 other baskets at production because that "super tech" decided to pull 4 pages at once and throw the atenolol bottle in there.

It just creates a giant cluster****. There's no need to go crazy and print and print and print. Work slowly, print 3 at a time, put the drugs back, then print 3 more. I promise you, the chances of making a mistake will dwindle, you will get scripts out on time, patients will be happier, you won't have 6 bottles of the same 1000 count drug all open, you won't have false out of stock situations, etc....

You would have to have damn idiot techs for this to happen.

Firstly, you aren't going to pre scan them. Scan them when they are counted.
Second, just because there are 15 scripts pulled doesn't mean you have to count them all before you can count a waiter that pops in
Thirdly, any time the drop-off tech puts in a waiter they generally print it and pull it for production and set it in front of them at my store, so again the waiter is getting done first. Same goes for scripts that are expedited. Drop-off tells production that they put in a waiter
Fourth, all the techs at my store at least have the common sense to figure that a 1000 count bottle is already pulled when there are no open bottles before opening a new one/putting it in pending inventory

If the techs don't have enough common sense to figure these things out they will be at pick-up. It's commons sense combined with general awareness to what's going on around you. Pay attention to the que and what the other techs are doing.

We've pulled anywhere from 1-3 pages at a time for the last 6 months and never had something in pending that shouldn't be. Now if you have incompetent techs that 1 batch at a time is absolutely the way to go because this method requires no brain.

Last edited:
You would have to have damn idiot techs for this to happen.

Firstly, you aren't going to pre scan them. Scan them when they are counted.
Second, just because there are 15 scripts pulled doesn't mean you have to count them all before you can count a waiter that pops in
Thirdly, any time the drop-off tech puts in a waiter they generally print it and pull it for production and set it in front of them at my store, so again the waiter is getting done first. Same goes for scripts that are expedited. Drop-off tells production that they put in a waiter
Fourth, all the techs at my store at least have the common sense to figure that a 1000 count bottle is already pulled when there are no open bottles before opening a new one/putting it in pending inventory

If the techs don't have enough common sense to figure these things out they will be at pick-up. It's commons sense combined with general awareness to what's going on around you. Pay attention to the que and what the other techs are doing.

We've pulled anywhere from 1-3 pages at a time for the last 6 months and never had something in pending that shouldn't be. Now if you have incompetent techs that 1 batch at a time is absolutely the way to go because this method requires no brain.

You're missing the point. What purpose does it serve to print pages and pages and pages and stack baskets in the corner? None. If you print 3 at a time, you get the most urgent scripts out first and you're not working on scripts due at a later date before scripts that are due earlier.

Forget about the waiters....when you pull pages and pages, you mix scripts that are due in 2H with scripts that are due at 2 pm the next day. You turn it into a complete joke. You start sifting and sifting through baskets just to find the one you want so you can work on it.

Besides, workflow is workflow and everyone has to do it the same way. You can't pick and choose which rules you want to follow. I know some people like to think they're smarter and better than everyone else, but just follow the system and follow workflow. I've been in stores where they follow workflow and do 3 at a time and I've been in stores where they don't. The ones that follow workflow always have better service numbers and better WeCare metrics. It's not a coincidence.

Besides, workflow is workflow and everyone has to do it the same way.
This is the argument you need to make to change SCIENCE's mind. SCIENCE believes that should do things in the most efficient way because they can handle it (and doesn't see an issue with the fact that many can't).

All I can say to that effect is that you might be operating at a 1 in a million error rate, but eventually you'll fill those million prescriptions and the further you are away from corporate approved policies and procedures, the more likely it is that there will be a negative outcome for you when that "1" gets investigated.

Last edited:
Besides, workflow is workflow and everyone has to do it the same way. You can't pick and choose which rules you want to follow. I know some people like to think they're smarter and better than everyone else, but just follow the system and follow workflow. I've been in stores where they follow workflow and do 3 at a time and I've been in stores where they don't. The ones that follow workflow always have better service numbers and better WeCare metrics. It's not a coincidence.

Anecdotal but we pull 2-3 pages (kept in time order so there is no "sifting and sifting") so there is always something ready to be counted and production keeps moving.

We are an excellent store and have a 96 ytd in wecare doing 3000+ per week.

Just to add. Much of myschedule is also based on doing production according to workflow. If you dump 3 pages of qp into the printer out of order, the demand will be skewed. The system will allocate extra hours into that time slot. Just something to consider.

Just to add. Much of myschedule is also based on doing production according to workflow. If you dump 3 pages of qp into the printer out of order, the demand will be skewed. The system will allocate extra hours into that time slot. Just something to consider.

MySchedule is inaccurate to begin with.

I disagree. Pull 10-15 scripts. Scan and fill them one at at time while paying attention to QP. Print and fill any waiters/acutes that pop up. Not that hard.

I disagree. Pull 10-15 scripts. Scan and fill them one at at time while paying attention to QP. Print and fill any waiters/acutes that pop up. Not that hard.

And get the phone. And drive thru. And when you get back more acute and waiters. Meanwhile what was the point of printing ahead again? Just follow workflow.

And get the phone. And drive thru. And when you get back more acute and waiters. Meanwhile what was the point of printing ahead again? Just follow workflow.

If you printed, pulled, and filled ahead of time, you will prevent those "rushes" where acutes and waiters bombard your QP. But if you're ahead, you can just focus on on waiters and acutes. Once you clear those, then start trying to get ahead again.

When production is slammed, other stations will help out with the phones (and drive-through).

Point of being ahead of production (or in general) is that for long pick up or drop off lines, you can send that production tech to help the lines b/c you're already ahead of the QP.

If you printed, pulled, and filled ahead of time, you will prevent those "rushes" where acutes and waiters bombard your QP. But if you're ahead, you can just focus on on waiters and acutes. Once you clear those, then start trying to get ahead again.

When production is slammed, other stations will help out with the phones (and drive-through).

Point of being ahead of production (or in general) is that for long pick up or drop off lines, you can send that production tech to help the lines b/c you're already ahead of the QP.

I am not against being ahead. You can be ahead by printing and filling one batch at a time too. as a bonus production will stay organized and you will minimize the time spent sifting through baskets when someone comes back early.

Most CVSes i worked at had so little help, that production is usually empty. 3 techs 1 rph max. 1 tech at drive thru, 1 tech at drop off, 1 at pick up. When the lines get busy, pickup 2 is needed. RPH is usually at both production and verification if pick up 2 is not needed.

Most CVSes i worked at had so little help, that production is usually empty. 3 techs 1 rph max. 1 tech at drive thru, 1 tech at drop off, 1 at pick up. When the lines get busy, pickup 2 is needed. RPH is usually at both production and verification if pick up 2 is not needed.

I agree. Most CVS's are so poorly staffed, and it's the pharmacist who does both QV and QP if he or she even cares enough.

We filled 2,800 scripts this week on 182 tech hours and had the QP empty by 11 AM on 5 of the days. Pharmacist jumps into the QT every 10 minutes to get acutes out quickly, and since the drop-off tech has help in the QT they can print and pull acute scripts along with readyfill and feed production. Third tech watches pick-up/drive through and does cardinal, and production serves as drive-through/pick-up if there are multiple customers.

Maybe this wouldn't work for you guys since you only verify and complain about the phone?

Last edited:
We filled 2,800 scripts this week on 182 tech hours and had the QP empty by 11 AM on 5 of the days. Pharmacist jumps into the QT every 10 minutes to get acutes out quickly, and since the drop-off tech has help in the QT they can print and pull acute scripts along with readyfill and feed production. Third tech watches pick-up/drive through and does cardinal, and production serves as drive-through/pick-up if there are multiple customers.

Maybe this wouldn't work for you guys since you only verify and complain about the phone?

Not every store has the staffed trained appropriately. You guys must be awesome to do that well on those tech hours b/c that is EXTREMELY understaffed. Congrats though if you can do it!

Bull feathers. 2800 scripts on 180 tech hours? NFW. Not in this life or any other life unless you give each tech an Adderall XR at the beginning of any shift. You must do 3 readyfills a day. I have a 60% readyfill rate and 17% waiter rate and I am doing 2700-2900 a week. I walk into 12-14 pages and you cannot have that done by 11AM unless you keep the gates closed.

Bull feathers. 2800 scripts on 180 tech hours? NFW. Not in this life or any other life unless you give each tech an Adderall XR at the beginning of any shift. You must do 3 readyfills a day. I have a 60% readyfill rate and 17% waiter rate and I am doing 2700-2900 a week. I walk into 12-14 pages and you cannot have that done by 11AM unless you keep the gates closed.

I wish I worked in an area where I could make this happen. God bless people who are compliant with their medications.

We have about a 35-40% Readyfill rate and about a 10% waiter rate. We used to walk into 15 pages in the QT, and I'v seen QP get as bad as 8 pages in the red with 3-4 pages in QT. I used to think it was impossible too but I'm literally not exaggerating. We did get a new PIC who is VERY good. Plus, once you are able to clear the que on a consistent basis it gives you more time . It's because we have all of the readyfill printed and pulled within 30 minutes of opening, pharmacist jumps into QT and helps so drop off can feed production with the acutes.

I honestly wish we had such a good readyfill rate it would actually make life easier (less phone calls). We were around 200 hours in tech hours last year but they've really dropped it.