Cvs strong pak returns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmadiazepine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the pharmacy get any money back for the pills sent to strong pak, whether it is brand or generic? Or is strong pak simply a place where we send back pills that we can't get any money for, regardless if it is a brand or a generic? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You get 0 dollars back.... but your store does get credited for it.

For example, your inventory is 200 dollars. you scanned out 50 dollars worth of products on your strongpak. You get 0 dollar back into your store (total loss), but you do get credit so your inventory is 150. When they do your inventory, those 50 dollars wont show up at a loss because they will scan 150 dollars out of 150 dollars... vs the old method where you don't scan out the pills so when they do inventory, they will scan 150 dollars when the system shows you have 200 dollars worth of inventory.

Same goes for expired drugs. My store is losing hundreds of thousand of dollars from this. We can hire 2 extra pharmacists if we had 0 loss.

Members don't see this ad :)
You get 0 dollars back.... but your store does get credited for it.

For example, your inventory is 200 dollars. you scanned out 50 dollars worth of products on your strongpak. You get 0 dollar back into your store (total loss), but you do get credit so your inventory is 150. When they do your inventory, those 50 dollars wont show up at a loss because they will scan 150 dollars out of 150 dollars... vs the old method where you don't scan out the pills so when they do inventory, they will scan 150 dollars when the system shows you have 200 dollars worth of inventory.

Same goes for expired drugs. My store is losing hundreds of thousand of dollars from this. We can hire 2 extra pharmacists if we had 0 loss.

that's what I thought.. so basically with strong pak we get no money back, $0 for the drugs we send back... it just shows up on paper that inventory was sent out, so it is just accounted for

i have been sending out thousands of dollars worth of drugs week after week that i shouldn't be sending out, and its really a shame.. i can't believe cvs has money like this to blow.

that's what I thought.. so basically with strong pak we get no money back, $0 for the drugs we send back... it just shows up on paper that inventory was sent out, so it is just accounted for

i have been sending out thousands of dollars worth of drugs week after week that i shouldn't be sending out, and its really a shame.. i can't believe cvs has money like this to blow.

I think I send back 100k worth of expired and strong pack so far based on my IAR. It does impact the store's total P&L statement so the store pays for it. For 100k..., I can hire another full time RPH.

It is sad but nothing compared to the law suits that CVS pays out.

http://www.wasterecyclingnews.com/a...-800-000-over-waste-violations-in-connecticut

800k this year, and 14.75 million last year. Ouch.

Can anyone help with the procedures? Im still new and my store wants me to do this but im not entirely sure i can do it. Loke yesterday i scanned 2×2 for genco but then i scanned some items in amber vials and it daid mist be processed through stronpak place in sp package? Does that mean its alteady been scanned or is there a seperate application for stronpak returns?not to mention all the loose pills :-( please help!!

Anything that is damaged, lose pills, or anything in an amber vial has to go into strongpak (including anything that has had Warfarin in it).

I believe Genco is just for out-dates that are in the original stock bottle (can be opened or closed). I believe a broken tablet in the stock bottle goes to Genco even though it is technically "damaged".

The process of returning Strongpak and Genco items are completely different.

You get no money for Strongpak items but it will account for the items sent back in your inventory. The store will get a refund for Genco items depending on the expiration date.

I'm pretty sure this info is correct could someone elaborate because I'd like to learn more about this aswell.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything that is damaged, lose pills, or anything in an amber vial has to go into strongpak (including anything that has had Warfarin in it).
Out of Date Warfarin in the 2x2 window will get you credit. Empty Warfarin bottles are disposed of the strong pak box.

I believe Genco is just for out-dates that are in the original stock bottle (can be opened or closed). I believe a broken tablet in the stock bottle goes to Genco even though it is technically "damaged".
No, if it is in the 2x2 window you get credit if not, Strong Pak, no credit.

The process of returning Strongpak and Genco items are completely different.

True

You get no money for Strongpak items but it will account for the items sent back in your inventory. The store will get a refund for Genco items depending on the expiration date.

True. Credit is for items within the 2x2 window.

Sometimes I think loose pills should just go into the garbage though, no? Think about it, no one will notice that 3-4 tablets of metformin or gabapentin are msissing during the inventoy count annually. They estimate counts anyway. When you put those pills through strongpak, you get penalized for it..

@Old Timer Whats is "2x2" window? I'm assuming it is referring to how close it is to going out of date? Are you saying that an item in the original stock bottle that is well beyond expiration goes into strong pack? I thought it still went Genco and just didn't get you any credit - I'm pretty sure that's what we've always done.

But I'v always been told "pull outdates" or handed the scanner and told to scan stuff so I'v never actually done a process from start to finish by myself. I would like to actually understand this stuff for the future.

Sometimes I think loose pills should just go into the garbage though, no? Think about it, no one will notice that 3-4 tablets of metformin or gabapentin are msissing during the inventoy count annually. They estimate counts anyway. When you put those pills through strongpak, you get penalized for it..

Another *****, YOU DO NOT get penalized for returning things via Strong-Pack. Do you make this **** up or just pull it out of your rectal opening.

@Old Timer Whats is "2x2" window? I'm assuming it is referring to how close it is to going out of date? Are you saying that an item in the original stock bottle that is well beyond expiration goes into strong pack? I thought it still went Genco and just didn't get you any credit - I'm pretty sure that's what we've always done.

But I'v always been told "pull outdates" or handed the scanner and told to scan stuff so I'v never actually done a process from start to finish by myself. I would like to actually understand this stuff for the future.

No, you only get credit on your P&L for items in the 2x2 window, which is 2 months before or 2 months after the expiration date. You get credit on your inventory for any item that is returned to either strong pak or Genco

No, you only get credit on your P&L for items in the 2x2 window, which is 2 months before or 2 months after the expiration date. You get credit on your inventory for any item that is returned to either strong pak or Genco

So if an item is expired beyond the 2x2 window it doesn't matter if you use Strongpak or Genco to get rid of it? (I understand that you won't get any type of credit for the item either way and both will account for it in the inventory report)

There's so many things to keep track of and it's driving me nuts that I only know how to do parts of each process.

-Sending things back to Cardinal <--I'm guessing this is only if you ordered too much and the item is still good?
-Sending things back to CVS warehouse <-- Same as sending items back to Cardinal as far the the criteria for returning? How would you even know if the items came from Cardinal or warehouse?
-Genco
-Strongpak
I feel like there was something we were shipping out UPS too but I don't know what it was... Genco?

-Then there are the daily return to stocks (still don't know where to print the report)
-Weekly out of stock scans (still don't even have a clue why we do this when the system could just incorporate it into cycle counts or where to print this report...)

If my inventory management training wasn't me spending a quality 8 hours at the cash register I might know this stuff...

Last edited:
So if an item is expired beyond the 2x2 window it doesn't matter if you use Strongpak or Genco to get rid of it? (I understand that you won't get any type of credit for the item either way and both will account for it in the inventory report)

There's so many things to keep track of and it's driving me nuts that I only know how to do parts of each process.

-Sending things back to Cardinal <--I'm guessing this is only if you ordered too much and the item is still good?
-Sending things back to CVS warehouse <-- Same as sending items back to Cardinal as far the the criteria for returning? How would you even know if the items came from Cardinal or warehouse?
-Genco
-Strongpak
I feel like there was something we were shipping out UPS too but I don't know what it was... Genco?

-Then there are the daily return to stocks (still don't know where to print the report)
-Weekly out of stock scans (still don't even have a clue why we do this when the system could just incorporate it into cycle counts or where to print this report...)

If my inventory management training wasn't me spending a quality 8 hours at the cash register I might know this stuff...

This is too much for one thread.

Take my word it's 2x2. Outdated items in manufacturers bottle go to Genco. Same with recalls. Others go to Strong Pack. The gun will tell you where to put the items.

This is too much for one thread.

Take my word it's 2x2. Outdated items in manufacturers bottle go to Genco. Same with recalls. Others go to Strong Pack. The gun will tell you where to put the items.

Aww... teach me the ways of a master CVS pharmacist :(

I guess I'm just to obsessive compulsive when it comes to this kind of stuff - wanting to understand the big picture and then understand how to preform each process. Most people just worry about it when it's placed in front of them... I just can't operate like that lol.

Thanks For your reply it really helped :) i got some additional help at my store from a seasoned tech im more comfortable with processing these two types of inventory returns and how to log them in and etc :)