CVS Summer internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nc_tradition

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been hired for a summer internship at CVS. I am going to start pharmacy school in the fall and was wondering if anyone has worked with CVS before and knows what the interns do and what the get paid?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you tell me how you got hired as an intern at cvs? (without talking about the intern license process for your state) Thanks

What a coincidence, because just today I sent in my resume at cvs for internship and the lady said she will forward it to some other lady who will contact me. And she said they were really filled with interns. Anyway I was also wondering the same thing because I'm applying to other places as well and I have tons of retail experience, but not with cvs. So I know I will have to make a choice and the pay will def be a deciding factor......so anybody with any info...please contribute.... thx.

BTW to the OP... if you are gonna be starting, shouldn't they have told you how much they'll be paying you?? Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Summer internship is just for the summer right? I'm interested in working as an intern, but only for the summer since I'll move away for school in the fall. I didn't know if it would even worth it just to apply for the summer.

Can you tell me how you got hired as an intern at cvs? (without talking about the intern license process for your state) Thanks

You go to their website, click on careers at the bottom of the page, click on pharmacy, interns, then find your appropriate state and send your resume to the appropriate person. Unless of course, you got other connections. I just sent an email to the pharmacist and asked my question.

$13/hr in NC from what i've heard.

Just email the district manager and the scheduler and let them know you are intrested in whichever store they can occupy you with. (some dms know that the pic doesnt have that much patience and will know not to put you at that store)

They hire you as an undergraduate intern because you're going to pharmacy school. Here in middle tennessee, the "intern" title and pay don't kick in until the first weekend of June. Interns are allowed to do everything certified techs do. (take dr.s phone calls, give copies)
I've been working at CVS for a year.
The real reason it should be easy to get "an internship" at Walgreens or CVS is that your hours do not count towards the store's budgeted hours. It's corporate that pays you basically, your hours worked do not come out of the store's budget. So, for the store, you're basically free labor. Also, from what I understand the budget for each intern is over 300 hours for the summer, so you should get some pretty good time in.
Paywise, I'm already certified and I'm only going up to 10.50/hr as an intern.

the pay you guys are getting as in intern seems really low? don't quote me, but a friend of mine had an older sister who graduated from pharmacy school this year and interned at CVS getting 17$/hr BUT that is also because she was going to school in Boston, so cost of living and all that is more expensive over here. I would imagine anywhere else though, it would have to be over 13/14$ since techs get around 10? And one more thing, someone had mentioned that interns can do everything cert. techs can do (get dr phone calls and copies or transfers)...... ?? I've been working as a certified tech with CVS for quite some time now, and to my knowledge only PHARMACISTS can take dr phone calls (new rx) and transfers. I think an intern can take them too... but certainly not a technician, certified or not.

the pay you guys are getting as in intern seems really low? don't quote me, but a friend of mine had an older sister who graduated from pharmacy school this year and interned at CVS getting 17$/hr BUT that is also because she was going to school in Boston, so cost of living and all that is more expensive over here. I would imagine anywhere else though, it would have to be over 13/14$ since techs get around 10? And one more thing, someone had mentioned that interns can do everything cert. techs can do (get dr phone calls and copies or transfers)...... ?? I've been working as a certified tech with CVS for quite some time now, and to my knowledge only PHARMACISTS can take dr phone calls (new rx) and transfers. I think an intern can take them too... but certainly not a technician, certified or not.

Certified technicians/interns can take new rxs in Tennessee. It's one of those rules that varies by state.

Certified technicians/interns can take new rxs in Tennessee. It's one of those rules that varies by state.

Yes it does. In OK, the tech can only take refill ok's. The pharmacy I work at got turned in to the state board last month because of this. :mad: :mad:

Interns, however, can act as pharmacists.

And I'm not sure why, but Walgreens in TN don't allow their certified techs to take or give transfer copies or take dr. phone calls. So, whenever we call Walgreens to get a copy, they're always like, ummmm... the pharmacist is busy, we'll call you back......

Actually that seems low for a graduate intern. I thought they made $20-25.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I am going to attend pharmacy school in the Fall. I worked for Walgreens last year. This summer I am working for CVS as a Certified Pharmacy Tech. I thought that you had to complete a year of pharmacy school to be considered as an intern?? Could I be an intern instead of a low paying pharmacy tech??:confused:

Hey,

I am going to attend pharmacy school in the Fall. I worked for Walgreens last year. This summer I am working for CVS as a Certified Pharmacy Tech. I thought that you had to complete a year of pharmacy school to be considered as an intern?? Could I be an intern instead of a low paying pharmacy tech??:confused:

For CVS, you can still be an intern. I know because an undergrad took my internship slot in the CVS closest to me. :mad: I think they would consider you a 2nd year intern. It's weird, they label undergrad pre-pharmers as 1st year interns.... sophomore undergrads = 2nd year interns
1st year of pharmacy school = 3rd year intern
2PD's = 4th year interns

How does that work if the state only recognizes those in pharmacy school as interns? Just wondering.

Actually that seems low for a graduate intern. I thought they made $20-25.

Again - this might vary by state, but in GA you are only considered a graduate intern from when you actually graduate from pharmacy school until you pass the board exams. And, yes, they do make more than the interns who have not graduated. The situations I've been aware of are students who have already signed a letter of intent with CVS, and they are simply using the title graduate intern until they pass the board and can go into their own store. Our district tries to use that time as some training time - sort of depends on how much the person feels like they need to study before taking board and how much they can work.

I'm in south carolina. I'm a certified tech that's been working there for two years. I'll be an intern in the next week or two, and my pay's only going up to $10.50 as well.

...which is good and everything...just don't accidently find out what the other techs at your store make....it can be sickening

Interesting to know different state's law, in NY actually to be an intern you need to finish the first year of pharm school and they'll send you an intern permit. And as an intern in NY, you can do everything as a pharmacist does under his/her supervision. So it's pretty liberal.

for California CVS pharmacies (former Sav-On) that are unionized (UCFW - United Commercial & Food Workers), 1st year interns get $13, 2nd year gets $14, 3rd year gets $15, 4th year gets $16. It might have gone up, but that pay structure has been in place for a few years already.

Also, in California, intern pharmacist can do everything an RPh can do, as long as they're under direct supervision. That equates to more responsibilities/duties than a pharmacy technician.

CVS is an alright company to work for. If you're more than 3 mins late, you get half a point. After 6 points the company reserves the right to terminate your employment. Its in the employee handbook in case you're wondering, last page, 4th paragraph.

Hope this information helps.

I like CVS, but then again, its the only retail pharm i've ever worked at. I've heard some good things about Walgreens though, too. At my pharmacy, however, they are not very strict about being punctual... and everyone including the pharmacist in charge is very laid back! I just hate our gift card promotions because people transfer back and forth and it is annoying.... plus they abuse the gift cards like crazy. I work at a 24 hr store, and it can get really busy but it makes the time pass by quicker.

I used to work for CVS in NC as an intern my P1 year. I was getting paid 10.50, and they said that for my P2 year I would be getting paid 11.50. I know that the pay scale varies by the area as determined by the cost of living.

I found out that Walgreens was paying P2 interns $13 in my area, so I applied for the Walgreens summer internship rather than stay with CVS. However, I decided to come back to Texas for the summer, and Walgreens pays p2 interns 14.50 here, so I'm really happy. If I had simply transfered to a CVS in Texas for the summer, I would only be making 11.50.

Also, while I was working at CVS during the school year, I asked my PIC how the intern hours are calculated. She told me that each store has their own designated hours for interns. For example, the other intern and I had to share hours, so if the other intern were to ask for 30 hours/week for example, I would only be allowed the remaining hours in the budget. Anyway, this is what my PIC said, which is pretty lame since the other intern would always get as many hours as she liked (she had been there 1 year while I had been there a few months), so basically I would only get like 4 hours every othe week....

My understanding is that half the intern's hours count against the store's budget...so that if a store is allowed 380 tech hours per week, an intern can work 40 and the store is only charged 20....does that make sense?

Does this vary from store to store? I'd imagine it would be a constant for the company as a whole...