CVS vs Genentech- applying to pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbybpm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently employed as a pharmacy technician at CVS (since March 2013) and I just got offered a position at Genentech, a biotechnology company.

I've heard great things about Genentech in terms of work environment, management, and innovation but this position is mostly policy-centered clerical work and data entry from what I was told.

I haven't really considered a career in the biotech industry or research, but I'm just considering for the short term since I am applying for school in the next cycle. Which job would look better to the admissions board: an additional year as a retail tech or an administrative position at one of the fastest growing, most respected institutions for new health technology?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently employed as a pharmacy technician at CVS (since March 2013) and I just got offered a position at Genentech, a biotechnology company.

I've heard great things about Genentech in terms of work environment, management, and innovation but this position is mostly policy-centered clerical work and data entry from what I was told.

I haven't really considered a career in the biotech industry or research, but I'm just considering for the short term since I am applying for school in the next cycle. Which job would look better to the admissions board: an additional year as a retail tech or an administrative position at one of the fastest growing, most respected institutions for new health technology?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

From what you said above, the job at Genentech is clerical/data entry. I do not know your background, but what/how far do you think you could learn/go with this job?

I do not think your jumping to Genentech will really affect your application for pharmacy schools. But ask yourself, if you sat on the admission committee, which job experience would look better?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a good relationship with your pharmacist to get a LOR?

I don't think an additional year of pharmacy experience will make a difference. (You don't need ANY pharmacy experience to get accepted to pharmacy school actually..) If you want the change of scenery then go for it. Just be prepared to explain how you wanted to explore the pharmaceutical field/whatever reason justifying your job switch, if asked in an interview. And retail experience would look better of course to admissions. A job at Genentech is hardly related, as they hardly employ PharmD's.