Cvs vs Independent Rx job advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NTT05

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a new grad pharmacist in south. After a few months waiting for job opportunities, i finially got job offers with an independent pharmacy and CVS. The independent rx asked me to be a floater and offers great hours, but they only pay $50/hr, no 401k, zero benefits and no guaranteed full time hours for the floater and unpaid vacation, unpaid sick days, etc.
With CVS, it offers a greater wage ($54-55/hr) and tons of benefit options, but work environment is very stressful as you all aware.
I'm kinda leaning towards the indenpedent rx more because I want to have more time with my patients, tho they pay less. CVS is stressful but more job liability and benefits.

So what do you think??? Please tell me your thoughts about it.

Thanks very much,
Ntt

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you want to work in the sewers for 55 an hour or outside in a clean environment for 45? Pick CVS and I guarantee you will regret it.

Reactions: 3 users
If you haven't already, ask the independent to match CVS' offer. I too used to work for CVS and I totally agree with SpartanLaser. That extra money won't be worth the long hours, time away from your family and hobbies, and all of the corporate hassle you will deal with. Your patients are generally more appreciative, and rightly so since using an independent pharmacy offers them much better service. If you're one of those pharmacists that wants to make a difference and help people (we all start out that way but working for chains will put an end to that eventually), then an independent is a much better opportunity for that as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for everyone's input. I'll take them to my consideration :)))

Ntt

Last edited:
$5 an hour difference? Oh yeah, definitely choose the independent. No 401k isn't that big of a deal since you can still contribute to an IRA and invest in real estate, brokerage accounts, etc. I think the biggest difference between the chains and independents is when you do something really fantastic. When you do something really great at a chain, the company gets the credit. When you do something really great at an independent, YOU get the credit. Everyone knows the neighborhood docs and pharmacists but does anybody know who runs the CVS? What about the local CareNow?

Take into account the wholeb benefit package. I'd try and get them to meet you in the middle ($52, etc). If they give you more vacation than CVS consider that too .

Hi there,

Thanks for your input. The independent rx offers vacation same as CVS, but they don't pay for vacation week :( They don't pay for sick days either and at the same time, they can't guarantee full time for me yet since i'm a floater. Looking at benefits, CVS definitely gives me more, but CVS can't guarantee me a less stressful environment to work with.

Ntt

$5 an hour difference? Oh yeah, definitely choose the independent. No 401k isn't that big of a deal since you can still contribute to an IRA and invest in real estate, brokerage accounts, etc. I think the biggest difference between the chains and independents is when you do something really fantastic. When you do something really great at a chain, the company gets the credit. When you do something really great at an independent, YOU get the credit. Everyone knows the neighborhood docs and pharmacists but does anybody know who runs the CVS? What about the local CareNow?

Thanks for your input. What is the CareNow??? I haven't heard of it b4.

Thanks for your input. What is the CareNow??? I haven't heard of it b4.

Maybe it's not nationwide but CareNow is a brand of urgent cares that can double as your general practitioner in DFW.

Well even if you only worked for the independent part time, you could get your foot in the door to eventually working full time.

I would only take the independent position if they guarantee me 40 hrs a week.

Hi there,

Thanks for your input. The independent rx offers vacation same as CVS, but they don't pay for vacation week :( They don't pay for sick days either and at the same time, they can't guarantee full time for me yet since i'm a floater. Looking at benefits, CVS definitely gives me more, but CVS can't guarantee me a less stressful environment to work with.

Ntt
If you have loans, choose CVS, I was in the same situtation. The guy twisted their word and didnt pay me.

When they say they cant guarantee a full time, when they originally did, its time to jump ship. Work CVS then do a transition. You have to follow your guts, some independent do shady things.

So unpaid vacation? Yikes

Yup, i was very surprised and dissapointed at the same time when i found out. So i concluded myself that:
- Independent rx: great work environment, great hours, but zero benefits.
- CVS: very stressful environment, early/late hours, but a lot of benefits.

swbwc.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So unpaid vacation? Yikes

....and? What's wrong with that? I'll tell you this much, you'll be more than likely to pick your vacation at an independent than a chain. I got several buddies who work for Kroger and their paid vacations are set up to be used a week at a time and it must be sunday through saturday. You probably won't be able to request spring break until you're 20 years into the company. Cruise to the bahamas that goes from Wednesday to Monday? Corporate vacation scheduling won't allow it. Either vacation 7 days in a row starting on Sunday or give up your week.

With so many pharmacists working relief for independents, if you want to go on a weekend trip to San Francisco you could do it. No corporate BS.

The independent doesn't sound the best, but I would still be inclined to pick it over CVS.

I really value a non-hellish working environment, personally.

It all comes down to how much the money matters to you.

I'm assuming you'll get 32 hours/week at the independent and will work 49 weeks subtracting 3 unpaid vacation weeks but assuming you get placed at a store at cvs you'll work 40 hours/week.

Worst case scenario you'll make $36k less per year. 401k will cost you another $5k and health benefits we'll just say as high as $5-10k but obviously that depends on your personal situation.

You could also get only 32 hours/week at cvs and get crappy hours and the independent could end up liking you and place you full time in one store after a year.

I say take the independent and do a great job. Either that or find an opening with Walgreens.

I honestly don't think too many new pharmacists would take the pay cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This is really not a hard choice at all. Take the job with CVS. Take every extra shift you can. (Hint, Christmas day is double time) Bust your ass off and pay off the loans. Once you pay off the loans, you can look around check out other options. Despite what people say, CVS is not that bad as long as your Pharmacy Supervisor is good. If he or she is good, you will have a good experience. If he or she is bad, you will have a terrible experience. But it will be the same at an independent. If the boss is good you will really enjoy it. If the boss is bad, it will suck. The last independent I worked at before CVS, the boss sucked. He was such a jerk. CVS is way better than that.....

All I can tell you is, I get to take off whenever I want. In my district, vacation requests are put in in January. Once they are accepted, they own it and you are free and clear. If something come up during the year and if you give seven weeks notice and they accept it, they own it. Even then, they will do their best to get you covered. I'm taking 5 vacation hours this Saturday for a family issue that just came up. There are busy weeks in the summer that are closed out. The day after Thanksgiving is also sometimes a tough day. Priority is given to those who help out and pick up extra shifts. Starting in January I get 4 weeks vacation. I got a 7K bonus this past year. Is my job hard, you bet it is. The compensation is awesome. My gross this year will approach 175K.

Reactions: 3 users
This is really not a hard choice at all. Take the job with CVS. Take every extra shift you can. (Hint, Christmas day is double time) Bust your ass off and pay off the loans. Once you pay off the loans, you can look around check out other options. Despite what people say, CVS is not that bad as long as your Pharmacy Supervisor is good. If he or she is good, you will have a good experience. If he or she is bad, you will have a terrible experience. But it will be the same at an independent. If the boss is good you will really enjoy it. If the boss is bad, it will suck. The last independent I worked at before CVS, the boss sucked. He was such a jerk. CVS is way better than that.....

All I can tell you is, I get to take off whenever I want. In my district, vacation requests are put in in January. Once they are accepted, they own it and you are free and clear. If something come up during the year and if you give seven weeks notice and they accept it, they own it. Even then, they will do their best to get you covered. I'm taking 5 vacation hours this Saturday for a family issue that just came up. There are busy weeks in the summer that are closed out. The day after Thanksgiving is also sometimes a tough day. Priority is given to those who help out and pick up extra shifts. Starting in January I get 4 weeks vacation. I got a 7K bonus this past year. Is my job hard, you bet it is. The compensation is awesome. My gross this year will approach 175K.

Totally not worth it. I'll take $90,000 a year over $175,000 and CVS. The money is not worth it.

Hi there,

Thank you a lot for your input. I'll take it into my consideration :)))

Barring a nuclear apocalypse, CVS will always be there (if not the district you applied for then other districts) since there is so much turnover. Too many things have to go right for CVS to be "not bad." My ideal CVS store would be in a middle-class residential area with no urgent care clinics or hospitals in 10 miles, do < 1500 a week, have no drive-thru (haha), no ****ty "pain management" practices and have few Medicaid customers. It would probably also be easier to make a good impression at an independent rather than at CVS, where you are treated as a cog that is easily replaced.

Totally not worth it. I'll take $90,000 a year over $175,000 and CVS. The money is not worth it.

It is to me. I have a great boss and there is no way I would work for 85K less per year........ To each there own....

Barring a nuclear apocalypse, CVS will always be there (if not the district you applied for then other districts) since there is so much turnover. Too many things have to go right for CVS to be "not bad." My ideal CVS store would be in a middle-class residential area with no urgent care clinics or hospitals in 10 miles, do < 1500 a week, have no drive-thru (haha), no ****ty "pain management" practices and have few Medicaid customers. It would probably also be easier to make a good impression at an independent rather than at CVS, where you are treated as a cog that is easily replaced.

Really, we rarely hire outsiders in my district. About 99% current interns. Occasionally we get somebody from the outside, but it's rare. You may be a cog, but that's ok until your loans are paid off. Unless the independent guarantees the hours or you guarantee the loan payment for him, I don't see how anyone could recommend he not take a full time guaranteed job.

All I'm going to add is I'm currently set to retire by 55 (well part time since I enjoy what I do) I couldn't say this without drastically changing my lifestyle making 55k less per year and I enjoy my lifestyle.

Im also taking 5 weeks off per year paid and I can easily pay those vacations off by picking up a shift which you won't be able to do.

You make a critical error in high stress environment? Kiss the license goodbye! Take the independent

You make a critical error in high stress environment? Kiss the license goodbye! Take the independent

So 20,000 CVS pharmacists are loosing their licenses every year. Right, brilliant, simply brilliant.....

Even though I loathe working for CVS, I do not regret my decision working for them vs an independent that would offer less/hour and zero benefits. I was very close to taking an independent position that was offering 52/hr while I was currently making about 63, but having about 25k loss in salary and 30k loss in benefits was just too much considering I would be working the same number of hours. Now if your dream is to be a pharmacy owner, it may be worth the investment if you are going to learn from a seasoned businessman as there will be many aspects of pharmacy that working for a chain will not teach you. By the way, working for the chain for more money (along with being frugal and diligent in investing) has afforded me the ability to establish a business that holds about 1.3m in assets at the age of 32.

If his goal is to one day own a pharmacy then he should definitely go with the chain. More money when he makes the big step will be important and so is experience working behind enemy lines.

If you have loans, choose CVS, I was in the same situtation. The guy twisted their word and didnt pay me.

When they say they cant guarantee a full time, when they originally did, its time to jump ship. Work CVS then do a transition. You have to follow your guts, some independent do shady things.

I agree with NCYRXDREAM. Take CVS, get started on your student loan payments and continue to search for a job that suits you better. If you are set on working retail, choose a place that gives you a lunch break; e.g., Walmart. You will get sick of CVS FAST. Make sure you create a linkedin profile and try to grow your network. Eventually, recruiters will start reaching out to you. CVS is not something you do long term.

Best of luck!

Independents have their own issues and politics

Make sure it is an established independent if you take the offer

I was at one right after I got licensed and the place that I was at was a joke

I would agree with OldTimer. Start off with CVS and see how it goes. You won't have any financial worries at least.

Last edited: