D and L nomenclature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echoyjeff222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make sure I understood the terminiology. Is this the right classification?

D and L forms of the same numbered carbohydrate are enantiomers of one another and have opposite optical rotations from one another

D and L forms of sugars (in general) differ at the penultimate carbon in stereochemistry

I didn't learn about carbs in orgo, so I'm trying to understand the terminology. The enantiomer rule applies ONLY to carbohydrates of the same # of carbons, correct? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to make sure I understood the terminiology. Is this the right classification?

D and L forms of the same numbered carbohydrate are enantiomers of one another and have opposite optical rotations from one another

D and L forms of sugars (in general) differ at the penultimate carbon in stereochemistry

I didn't learn about carbs in orgo, so I'm trying to understand the terminology. The enantiomer rule applies ONLY to carbohydrates of the same # of carbons, correct? Thanks!

D- and L- sugars with the same carbohydrate name are enantiomers. For example, D-(+)-glucose and L-(-)-glucose are enantiomers and so all of their chiral carbons have changed chirality.

Because they are enantiomers they have equal but opposite optical rotations (one has +# and the other has -#). In terms of stereochemistry, all chiral carbons will change chirality, not just the penultimate, because that is part of the definition of enantiomers.
But at a quick glance to distinguish whether a carbohydrate (in it's straight chain form, or Fischer projection) is D- or L- look at the penultimate carbon. If the -OH group is on the right the carb is D-, on the left the carb is L-.

Enantiomers are stereoisomers (same structure, same connectivity, different spatial arrangement) that differ in the chirality of all chiral carbons (ex. one enantiomer has all R chiral carbons, the other has all S). So yes, two carbohydrates with different numbers of carbons in them cannot be stereoisomers and thus cannot be enantiomers.

Hope this helps!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/next-step-mcat-tutor-office-hours.970/

"But at a quick glance to distinguish whether a carbohydrate (in it's straight chain form, or Fischer projection) is D- or L- look at the penultimate carbon. If the -OH group is on the right the carb is D-, on the left the carb is L-. "

This can also be used for comparing molecules of different lengths, right?

Thanks for the response!