D forms and PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NikkiFSU

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So did everyone with D_ forms have an absolutely ridiculous PS...it seems to be the general consensus on here

Members don't see this ad.

I had DL, and I did think the PS was very hard. Some of it was impossible to decipher....I even considered voiding, but then I woulda wasted my 200 bucks. I guess i can take it again in April.

Yes, I had form DJ and a lot of the passages you describe were on my test form too (no SHM though). The gas thing was absurd, I spent like 5 minutes staring at the picture wondering what the hell was going on.

Don't worry, the physics, I think by most normal standards, was more difficult than most normal tests. This is coming from someone whose major has a LOT of upper division physics courses. Best thing you can do now is just relax. I'm sure that the curve will right things.

I had DG as my form and honestly I did not find the PS section that difficult. I do agree that the gas apparatus and some of the physics was hard but the rest wasn't to bad. I had mostly chemistry. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
USArmyDoc said:
I had DG as my form and honestly I did not find the PS section that difficult. I do agree that the gas apparatus and some of the physics was hard but the rest wasn't to bad. I had mostly chemistry. :rolleyes:

That's odd, mine was mostly physics. Either that, or the physics passages were the ones that stood out to me. Then again, I had form DJ.

I had form CN but I also had the Gas Apparatus, Underwater Sonar Detectors, and Intensity/Radiation. EDIT.

Hey to those who suffered the blow of test D. Yes, I had DM and it was brutal. It sounds like NikkiFSU's test. I really had trouble focusing, and more importantly, was upset at how I wasted so much time prepping with Physics....the test was centered on waves, and who knows what else.. the chem was mixed and sort of tough too! Nothing like the practice exams I took----AAMC 3-8. UGHHHH, I am just worried. I hope that there are more with this concern about the ps. of test D!!!

EDIT

I'm not sure if our questions were the same however. I could see them giving the same passages but with different questions.

The test seems like such a blur, I don't remember what I put on any of the questions anymore.

Mister Pie said:
I'm not sure if our questions were the same however. I could see them giving the same passages but with different questions.

The test seems like such a blur, I don't remember what I put on any of the questions anymore.

I don't even know. EDIT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had DH. I agree the PS was insane. Every passage or so it seemed was experimental, vague, and theoretical. Nothing straight up from the material we studied. I could have taken this test before the Kaplan course and probably scored in the same range as I did today. I'm hoping for a Kaplan PS Test size curve. I thought BS was also pretty hard. Verbal was as usual.

USArmyDoc said:

The acid/base stuff maybe...I just didn't get why they would make it so one-sided

And someone in another thread said it was hard for them and they had a lot of upper division physics.....hmm

HEY!!!!!!!! I HAD DM! Yes, i thought the PS was horrible! I didn't even have time to finish.
i felt like voiding my score afterwards...then i felt better when i completed the VR and WS. The BS was ok, but it was mostly passage based. Some odd questions in there too, but the orgo was straightforward.

There was not much on circuits or photoelectric effect or even solubility or nothing that you see a lot on the practice AAMC tests. I was devastated by that section :(

let's see. I started off on the wrong foot with the first few questions on the apparatus and gas manipulation. otherwise, it's a blur.....I felt like I would have needed 2.5 hrs to finish off well. I am surprised no one else posted a DM thread. I woke up this morning in the twilight zone....what a waste of time spent on physics prep this past summer....of which none was on the exam. Maybe one freebie on the doppler effect. I still have to turn in my secondaries, and prior to the exam, I was considering applying to one other school. Now, I feel doubtful and don't know what to do about my apps. On the other hand, I don't want to lose the opportunity to get into med. school in time for the 2006 year. Best wishes to all of you and try to relax. I start back on MOnday!!!

I don't know either. I felt the PS was not that bad considering April's was a total DISASTER. Does anyone think the gas apparratus passage is experimental? I thought I saw a question on the test that had to do with the photoelectric effect. It was somethign about cascading electrons and then they left when there was enough energy. That to me sounds like the PE. I don't know anymore everyone on these boards have me worrying. I also thought there were some calculations (around 2 or 3) that were very simple, almost two simple. :oops:

my first passage was that damn balloon experiment. i stared at it for 8 minutes and did not write a damn thing down as the girl next to me is scribbling away like mad about 10 seconds into the exam. she was so loud it sounded like she was carving her initials into the desk with her pencil. so i moved on and had to guess on 15 questions. I came back to the ballon experiment at the end for 5 minutes and was like "I am so stupid!!! I don't understand this setup!!"

sitting next to someone while taking the MCAT was something I had to get over. kind of like being on a treadmill and people next to you on a treadmill. ignore them and go at your own pace. in BS i finished 20 minutes early and tried to look busy so i did not piss anyone off. I think she got it in the bio and verbal since she complained to her friend about it and chilled out on her scribble-scrabbling during the bio section.

hopefully i don't have to do the exam again but I will always do discretes first to calm down.

drhannibal said:
I had DH. I agree the PS was insane. Every passage or so it seemed was experimental, vague, and theoretical. Nothing straight up from the material we studied. I could have taken this test before the Kaplan course and probably scored in the same range as I did today. I'm hoping for a Kaplan PS Test size curve. I thought BS was also pretty hard. Verbal was as usual.

I had DL, and the "two bag/balloon" passage really destroyed my confidence. I'm still not sure what the apparatus is supposed to do. The two setups seemed totally unrelated and I wasted a good amount of time on it. ugh :mad:

And the really long passage in BS about the ssh gene in mice... what the heck was that all about? I saved it for the end and when I got to it I ran out of time and totally guessed. :(

stoleyerscrubz said:
my first passage was that damn balloon experiment. i stared at it for 8 minutes and did not write a damn thing down as the girl next to me is scribbling away like mad about 10 seconds into the exam. she was so loud it sounded like she was carving her initials into the desk with her pencil. so i moved on and had to guess on 15 questions. I came back to the ballon experiment at the end for 5 minutes and was like "I am so stupid!!! I don't understand this setup!!"

That's exactly what I did! I kept looking at the setup for a long time trying to understand it. Balloons will annoy me forever.

The good news is EVERYONE seems to have had trouble with it. It leads me to believe that it may be experimental, who knows though. It is just a guess.

I dont think it was experimental. I think the experimental one was the nanotube one.

Was the nanotube one with all the wavelenghts with the spheres. I was told that there are two experiments, 1 general chem & 1 physics. Who knows though.

Jon Davis said:
I dont think it was experimental. I think the experimental one was the nanotube one.

why do you think that? The balloon problem had a lot of questions which makes it a good candidate. I'm just guessing.

experimental or not, it seems that the passage will not affect scores much if everyone had trouble with it.

I don't remember seeing the word 'nanotube' on my MCAT or anything setup like one. hmmm...

which was the nanotube passage? was it the one with a diagram of 2 colliding spheres? that's the one i never got to and had to guess all 'C's.... sigh, i really do hope that's the experimental passage (as well as the 1st balloon passage)

spongiebob said:
HEY!!!!!!!! I HAD DM! Yes, i thought the PS was horrible! I didn't even have time to finish.
i felt like voiding my score afterwards...then i felt better when i completed the VR and WS. The BS was ok, but it was mostly passage based. Some odd questions in there too, but the orgo was straightforward.

...and I thought the PS was not too bad. But then again, Physics is really my weak point, so I concentrated on GenChem. Guess I lucked out.

The VR was slightly harder than I expected, but I loved the RoboTuna passage. :) The BS section, strangely enough, went very quickly for me. I finished with 10 minutes to spare, which NEVER happens.

After taking Kaplan tests 1-5, the actual exam was not quite as balanced (in terms of subject matter) as I expected it to be. Overall, though, it was not as bad as I feared.

OK, I might have totally missed the points of these passages but I had form DG and just simplified these passages to the most basics of physics: balloon passages to expansion of gas in order to measure expansion of water, nano tube to wave in a close end tube, sphere passage to the transfer of heat via radiation. Are they supposed to be more complicated??? What part of the passages did you guys find tricky?

iwutitan said:
OK, I might have totally missed the points of these passages but I had form DG and just simplified these passages to the most basics of physics: balloon passages to expansion of gas in order to measure expansion of water, nano tube to wave in a close end tube, sphere passage to the transfer of heat via radiation. Are they supposed to be more complicated??? What part of the passages did you guys find tricky?

wtf?? i had form DG and i can't remember anything about nano tube nor spheres? can someone elaborate? i just remember the weird balloon one and oil droplet experiment (passage 10?).

sweetstuff25 said:
wtf?? i had form DG and i can't remember anything about nano tube nor spheres? can someone elaborate? i just remember the weird balloon one and oil droplet experiment (passage 10?).

-the sphere passage had a diagram with 2 colliding spheres (that's what i remember b/c i never read the passage)
-the nanotube one had a beam of photons ejected through a slit and it set up a standing wave inside a closed-end tube (something like that, don't remember specifics)

Valency said:
-the sphere passage had a diagram with 2 colliding spheres (that's what i remember b/c i never read the passage)
-the nanotube one had a beam of photons ejected through a slit and it set up a standing wave inside a closed-end tube (something like that, don't remember specifics)

There were actually two sphere related passages (on DM, at least). One involved collisions, and one involved metal spheres radiating heat. Both were pretty straightforward.

Eventhough I had those straight up ones like the radiating spheres and the collision, I felt like I still messed those up. I feel like I screwed up every passage. ERRR. I got an 8 for sure. All because I lost my cool. I so want to go back in time for that one section!!!!!!!!!!

Valency said:

i think i had a brain aneurism cuz i can't remember the radiating sphere or standing waves. but the colliding sphere was fvcked. i was hoping it would be a simple momentum question...BUT NOOOO!

NikkiFSU said:
So did everyone with D_ forms have an absolutely ridiculous PS...it seems to be the general consensus on here and we better get a mean curve! I literally wanted to CRY after it but if it sucked bad for everyone then I'll feel much better.
EDIT.... Way too many charts and graphs and #'s and other extraneous BS for something that I never even hardly studied! There was literally no magnetism, optics, energy, force, hardly anything on fluids, I thought I was taking the wrong test. What did you guys think and did you have the same or similar passages and feel the same way?

I had form DM and felt like the PS was quite the bitch. It seemed to have way more G-chem than what I was expecting and was definitely definitely more difficult/different/weird than AAMC 3-8...Which is what I'm griping about! I'm sorry, but PS on those is not representative anymore...

I pretty much guessed for most of the balloon passage and can't remember much beyond that...However, that was the most difficult passage for me, i would say.

I took the test in April too and walked out feeling like complete crap after PS...I ran out of time, MISSED a bubble, and guessed A LOT....Last Saturday I was more disciplined about not spending too much time on one passage (which is why I didn't bother with the balloon BS).... I have to say, it didn't SEEM as bad this time around, but still bad...What's up with that? Did anyone else wonder whether they're trying to make PS harder in general?

For DM, I felt bio was pretty much easy (i tend to do better with little o-chem), verbal was OK....i had heard in the past that in order to maintain the bell curve, they always make one section hard, one medium, and one easy...

i can't even remember all the passages. I did not do 2 of the passages since i got stuck on the stupid water baloon passage! ouch! :(
I had form DM

can remember
-water baloon stupid experiment (what was this all about?)
-blood ph
-colliding spheres with 4 quadrants
-the one with the table on absorptivity and wavelength of 2 balls (what's wrong with this passage, i felt like they were just asking me to interpret the table and it was just weird... ouch)
-chemistry nickel or penny thing with some metal deposited
-another chemistry passage
-ocean waves with detector
-one with protons moving or something which i didn't have time to do
.......etc

The verbal was ok i guess, and the bio i had to rush on the last passage and skip around to do the organic ones which were in the back first.

you have a sharp memory. For me, the ps of DM was a blur. The only passage i remember is the first one, which killed my confidence. the rest-verbal seemed decent and bs was ok, with the exception of some of the genetics which might have gotten me. But PS for sure, I remember having 5minutes and 20 questions left....that was my "i want to cry and void this test moment"