"D" in Physics II / Chem II, worth retaking this fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghostshell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Shortest version possible (I know people ask similar questions all the time here).

Non-traditional with a pretty good resume (Business owner, Paramedic etc)

Hard classes and tough teachers, got a D in both Chem II and Physics II. I didnt understand the mathematics very well.

The rest of my sciences are A's, B's and 2 C's in Orgo.

I could re-take both classes this fall or should I just focus on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
my bachelors is about a 3.3, my science GPA is around 2.5

I am definitely not an elitist at all, especially towards non-trads. But I have heard from several sources throughout SDN that pulling Cs and Ds in your pre-reqs does not look terribly good. Everybody bombs a course or two, it happens. But pulling Ds in two pre-reqs then Cs in orgo doesnt make you shine terribly well...

You will very likely get autoscreened pre-secondary if your sgpa is not at a 3.0 (schools range from 2.8-3.2 to autoscreen at).

That's an abysmal science GPA. I think you're pretty much obligated to retake Chem II and Physics II. And maybe orgo as well.

Why did you get such low grades? C's in organic chem doesn't really bode well for medical school, I would think.

Yea and I definitely would not take the MCAT until you have the material down. I know personally I would not feel comfortable taking the MCAT with poor grades in the pre-reqs.

I am confident that you can do this, you can get where you desire to be. Anyone can do anything with hard work, I believe this to the depths of my soul. But be aware you definitely have a long road ahead of you.

I may suggest doing some retakes and then depending on your MCAT maybe entertain the idea of like podiatry school or something? Not that they are any better/worse whatever, they just have lower admission standards, thats all - this definitely could help you since you have such a big hill to climb. You would be trained in a 3-4 year surgical residency of the foot and ankle. Its actually a sweet deal... Just throwing it out there.

That 2.5 is going to keep you out of any school. If you want any shot at all you'll need to retake both of those classes and really kill it this time, both to show you're not a slacker, and to bring up that GPA as well.

Most (maybe all?) schools require C or above in all prereqs. There's no avoiding retaking these courses in your situation if you want to go to med school.