About the ads

D.O. applying to MD surgical res....

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by AP, Feb 28, 2003.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. AP

AP Member

SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I was wondering if anyone had any input on programs in the north east and mid east coast that do or do not accept res. applications for surgery from Osteopathic Medical students. Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
  2. UNEOSTEO

UNEOSTEO Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    The Hospital for Special Surgery does not accept DOs for their Orthopedic Surgery Residency
  3. AP

AP Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    hey uneosteo - I am to assume that you are interested in ortho as well? what year are you? Maybe we can talk and share any ideas we have on attaining ortho spots..
  4. msgbueno

msgbueno Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    :confused:

If you're interested in ortho, do you have to apply to an MD residency? Isn't there a residency program for DO's for ortho?
  5. Braindoc

Braindoc Junior Member

msgbueno~
    There are DO Ortho Programs, but DO's can apply to both MD and DO programs, so why not? Increases the odds.... I guess it depends on where you want to go too....
  6. drusso

drusso Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    There is a second-year orthopedic surgery resident at Mayo who is a D.O. You might call and see if you can speak with him.