(D.O. Schools) 29 MCAT, 3.3cGPA, 2.76sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ranyhin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Firstly thank you all for your time. I would like to know what I should do in my current situation:

I have a 29 MCAT that I just took in July, a 3.3 cumulative gpa and a 2.76 science gpa. I know the science gpa is terrible, I never failed any classes but my chemistry courses were straight C's. My bio, physics and others were B's and A's. I am hoping that my MCAT somewhat makes up for my science gpa being bad.

Anyways I spent hours reading other posts on similar situations to mine, still not exactly sure what I should do. So...

1. Do I have a shot at getting into D.O. schools? I know that I have statistics that are PROBABLY (not quite sure though) competitive for some schools, such as LECOM and a couple others. My ideal situation would be to take this next year(ish) to acquire medically related experience, and then apply to D.O. schools in this upcoming July.

2. I am probably about to start a scribing job here in the next month. Should I go do a post bacc program instead? I have been contacted by multiple medical schools asking me to apply based on my MCAT score, but when I tell them what my science gpa is they often refer me to a post bacc program. Which would be more beneficial? (Keep in mind that I also don't have tons of shadowing experience) I am also scared of entering a post bacc program and doing badly, then hindering my chances at getting into medschool even more than what they were (obviously I would work my butt off to avoid this but who knows what would happen).

4. Should I be considering Podiatry and Caribbean schools? If so, which one would be a better decision? I know that both have problems getting residencies. I have shadowed podiatrists and like what they do, but would rather have a broader area to work in when deciding what type of medicine I want to practice one day. That being said, don't Podiatry schools have a better statistic for residency acquisition than Caribbean schools?

My premedical advisers have different viewpoints on what I should do, some more optimistic than others. So I thought I would give this forum a shot as I have been reading it for quite a long time now! I look forward to all your responses and again thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

No, don't consider Caribbean. Your MCAT is good for DO, just retake the Cs and any other classes you can.

Your MCAT is competitive for most DO schools. Your 3.3 GPA is below average for most DO schools but well within the range of accepted students. The problem is your 2.76 science GPA. You could raise the science GPA in the next year by taking undergraduate additional science courses at a nearby college. Concentrate on science courses that would not be difficult for you. Community college courses would be fine. If you can raise that science GPA to close to 3.0 or higher your odds would be better when applying. For your DO application focus on the new DO schools and low tier schools. There will also be several new DO schools opening up for the class starting in 20165 so apply to all of those next summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only problem with retaking courses is that I have already graduated from my university. I might be able to do a community college but otherwise I am out of luck, will look into this! Any other advice is appreciated, and thanks for the input so far!!! :)