D.O. versus M.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unlucky87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to start D.O. school and then after one year, switch to M.D. school? My friend suggested this to me, and I am not sure one could do this.

Members don't see this ad.

use a search function. but the short answer is NO. if you want MD go to an MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I don't know why people are saying you can't! After you get into the DO school, just apply here.

You'll be a physician either way.

Yea..but EVERYONE knows if you go DO, you won't earn as much (even though you apply for the same jobs), you'll do a crappy residency (even though >60% of DO grads go into MD residencies), and will be spit on by the MDs, PAs, and RNs.

Yea..but EVERYONE knows if you go DO, you won't earn as much (even though you apply for the same jobs), you'll do a crappy residency (even though >60% of DO grads go into MD residencies), and will be spit on by the MDs, PAs, and RNs.

Joke, right??

Many MD schools allow transfers from DO students who have completed either 1 or 2 years of medical school. However, it isn't very easy to transfer from one medical school to another, as it generally requires the accepting school to have lost a member of the class you wish to join. With an attrition rate of around 1% for US medical schools, you'd be much smarter to only matriculate at a school you'd *actually* wish to attend, rather than banking on a hail-mary attempt at a degree you deem more valuable.

ummm no.

If you want to be a doctor but can't get into a USMD but still want decent oppurtunities without the FMG bias that Carribean schools have (I, of course, assume there's a bias only through anecdoctal evidence of what people have told me), apply DO. However, if you REALLY want those two letters after your name for your e-peen (and I guess...real-peen) to impress, which is probably the case given your question, go Carribean or elsewhere abroad.

I have two family friends who got into DO schools but not MD but still opted not to go.....based on what I've read, MD and DO are basically the same, just diff approach....so is pride/ego the main issue here? or is there some real difference in terms of pay/potential ect.

I have two family friends who got into DO schools but not MD but still opted not to go.....based on what I've read, MD and DO are basically the same, just diff approach....so is pride/ego the main issue here? or is there some real difference in terms of pay/potential ect.

pride/ego. why the hell would those family friends waste the money applying to schools they had no intention of going to?

This is NOT about pay. Once you are a doctor, no one gives a damn (almost no one) whether you are a DO or an MD. The main issues have to do before becoming a doctor, i.e., residency. It is harder to match into certain competitive residencies as a DO. It can be done, but it's harder. That's the main issue. For example, as far as MD NS residencies are concerned, it is almost impossible for DOs to match into them because DOs can't become ABNS board certified, among exclusions from other organizations as well. The other issue is having to learn osteopathic manipulation. I think this is BS comparable to DCs. It also seems that many DO students think this is BS too. Nevertheless, you still must learn it and are going to be tested on it. So the time you could have spent doing research or preparing for USMLE must be wasted on OMM. Your research opportunities in certain specialties might also be limited.

Finally, there is the issue of insecurity. You have to come to terms that people are always going to question what is DO. If you can't take such questions calmly without erupting, you should not become a DO under any circumstances. You'll find that many of your DO colleagues are in exactly this type of situation. Advantages and Disadvantaged of DOs and MDs

I'd just like to say, the doctor I shadowed (a DO) was never asked what her degree designation was. You aren't constantly asked, what is a DO? And, chiropractics shouldn't be compared to osteopathic manipulation. Too polar of statements, imo.

I'd just like to say, the doctor I shadowed (a DO) was never asked what her degree designation was. You aren't constantly asked, what is a DO? And, chiropractics shouldn't be compared to osteopathic manipulation. Too polar of statements, imo.

Same. I shadowed two DOs for weeks (an orthopedic surgeon and a PCP), and neither were ever asked that. I guess when you're sick, you just want to see a doctor.

I asked both of them about the bias, and they said they were too busy seeing patients to even notice any. Sure this is anecdotal, but you do realize that theres a shortage of doctors, so you won't find any DOs looking to find patients.

This is NOT about pay. Once you are a doctor, no one gives a damn (almost no one) whether you are a DO or an MD. The main issues have to do before becoming a doctor, i.e., residency. It is harder to match into certain competitive residencies as a DO. It can be done, but it's harder. That's the main issue. For example, as far as MD NS residencies are concerned, it is almost impossible for DOs to match into them because DOs can't become ABNS board certified, among exclusions from other organizations as well. The other issue is having to learn osteopathic manipulation. I think this is BS comparable to DCs. It also seems that many DO students think this is BS too. Nevertheless, you still must learn it and are going to be tested on it. So the time you could have spent doing research or preparing for USMLE must be wasted on OMM. Your research opportunities in certain specialties might also be limited.

Finally, there is the issue of insecurity. You have to come to terms that people are always going to question what is DO. If you can't take such questions calmly without erupting, you should not become a DO under any circumstances. You'll find that many of your DO colleagues are in exactly this type of situation. Advantages and Disadvantaged of DOs and MDs

I love your list of "Advantages and Disadvantages" which doesn't state a single advantage.

Here's one: You become a doctor.

Good day to you, sir.

Many MD schools allow transfers from DO students who have completed either 1 or 2 years of medical school. However, it isn't very easy to transfer from one medical school to another, as it generally requires the accepting school to have lost a member of the class you wish to join. With an attrition rate of around 1% for US medical schools, you'd be much smarter to only matriculate at a school you'd *actually* wish to attend, rather than banking on a hail-mary attempt at a degree you deem more valuable.

OP, here is your answer.

Because the MD vs. DO argument has been done a million times before and always descends into flame wars in brilliant fashion, this thread is being closed. You can find some of the things that have been said in the past in the threads under "MD vs. DO" in this post, and you can read some interesting articles here.

Status
Not open for further replies.