D.O. vs M.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucketmouse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this may be a tired argument, but as a pre-med, it's one that I would like a little clarification on. Here is what I know:

1.) Most everyone I talk to says there is virtually no difference between a D.O. and an M.D. in terms of job prospects, respect amongst colleagues and so on. If this is the case, why are the admission standards lower for a D.O. school?

2.) One D.O. I spoke with admitted that, besides the obvious emphasis on the musculoskeletal system, the osteopathic curriculum was comprised of the same material as the allopathic curriculum with a bit of pseudo-science thrown in, of which the student could take or leave.

3.) I've heard that another area where osteopathy and allopathy diverge is in their general approach to the patient; D.O.s take the entire health of the patient into consideration rather than "just treating the symptoms" as it is assumed M.D.s do. However, shouldn't any good doctor take the entire health of the patient into consideration?

I'd appreciate any feedback from ya'll on these points. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

tumblrkxjydnrc5m1qzs56d.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Getting into med school is not the end all... performance in med school and beyond are far better indicators of your skill as a doctor
2) Your DO is right
3) I think this is bollocks although I can't say for certain

I dunno... but a friend of mine is doing DO, says she shadowed one, and watched him give an autistic child, who never spoke to anybody, a brain massage and supposedly he spoke. And someone came in with headaches and he noticed that the person was sitting on a slant showing back issues... It's stuff like that. They look at the WHOLE body for like, everything...

also... in b4 close... (i mean, either due to the existence crapload of other threads or a forthcoming rage thread)

There is in reality no difference.
DO's hold the same positions in hospitals.
As stated above, DO's focus on the overall health of the body and mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.