D.o.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon stewart

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know why the DO schools generally have lower requirements than the md schools? shouldnt they all be the same?

Members don't see this ad.

jon stewart said:
does anyone know why the DO schools generally have lower requirements than the md schools? shouldnt they all be the same?

I suspect the administrators will close down this thread before it gets ugly. But presumably DO schools are setting their requirements at the highest level they can that still ensures a certain applicant pool size and the best class they can put together. DO schools came to the medical game much later than allopathic, and so they are slowly working their way up.

I would argue that their requirements are greater. They require the same course work and an understanding of Osteopathy. You have to actually shadow, at least for many schools, and have a letter of endorsement from a DO. So, I'm not sure why you think their requirements are less. They require chem, bio, orgo, physics, 90credits or degree, math, english, etc...same as allopathic schools.

I'm at an MD school, but my best friend is at PCOM and his curriculum is virtually the same. We went to undergrad together, same requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
consistently people create threads out of ignorance. Yes, they do have, on average, lower MCAT scores or GPA, but then again, if you were to parse out any number of different ethnic groups or certain state schools from the allo population you would find that they have lower numbers. This continuing debate gets tired. I'm smarter than you. And my penis is bigger.

It depends entirely on the school.

My school's entering class stats for the past few years have been higher than two of the allopathic schools in the state, and are higher than some allopathic schools in other states. They are on par with most state medical schools entering stats (GPA 3.7, MCAT 29)

You really need to look at individual schools. The same argument could be made for some allopathic schools that set the bar lower.

Good points everyone. There are some DO schools that are very competitive with some allo schools. Although these schools appear to have lower requirements, its just another criteria. DO schools are known to look more at the "whole" picture of the person which I think is a strength. Yes GPA and MCAT are indictators but sometimes, someones passion can fuel a power plant. I want someone to see my potential, not my GPA in college over 5-9 years ago when I wasn't sure what I wanted out of my life. And just because their criteria is lower, DO schools want to see a commitment to medicine. So if you have a 3.7 and 35 MCAT, you better know what osteopathy actually is and have a delicate balance of clinical history to go with it. I like the allowance to retakes of classes. DO schools are favorites for non-traditional students as part of that reason. Also DO's fill an important void in family medicine/general practices (usually around 50%) although MD's also about 30% go into general med practices as well.

If anything my opinion is that DO's have to "work" harder at times (they usually take the USMLE and COMLEX) but honestly, I think its ironic that people criticize DO's for the lowers grades and scores, yet these people overcome MORE than their MD counterparts just to supposedly "prove" themselves in this world. They are required to learn and have proficiency in OMT which can be hard for some people to understand as well as correctly implement (its also subjective per your professors from what I understand).

mshheaddoc said:
Good points everyone. There are some DO schools that are very competitive with some allo schools. Although these schools appear to have lower requirements, its just another criteria. DO schools are known to look more at the "whole" picture of the person which I think is a strength. Yes GPA and MCAT are indictators but sometimes, someones passion can fuel a power plant. I want someone to see my potential, not my GPA in college over 5-9 years ago when I wasn't sure what I wanted out of my life. And just because their criteria is lower, DO schools want to see a commitment to medicine. So if you have a 3.7 and 35 MCAT, you better know what osteopathy actually is and have a delicate balance of clinical history to go with it. I like the allowance to retakes of classes. DO schools are favorites for non-traditional students as part of that reason. Also DO's fill an important void in family medicine/general practices (usually around 50%) although MD's also about 30% go into general med practices as well.

If anything my opinion is that DO's have to "work" harder at times (they usually take the USMLE and COMLEX) but honestly, I think its ironic that people criticize DO's for the lowers grades and scores, yet these people overcome MORE than their MD counterparts just to supposedly "prove" themselves in this world. They are required to learn and have proficiency in OMT which can be hard for some people to understand as well as correctly implement (its also subjective per your professors from what I understand).

i hope your not refering to me when you say criticize, i by no means am critizing anyone. I was just wondering why poeple (in general) make it look like that the DO schools have lower requirements. I dont know much about DO's so thats why i was wondering.

jon stewart said:
i hope your not refering to me when you say criticize, i by no means am critizing anyone. I was just wondering why poeple (in general) make it look like that the DO schools have lower requirements. I dont know much about DO's so thats why i was wondering.
oh no! I didn't mean anyone specifically, just in general :) DO's are fighting the stigma that others have and at least this thread isn't a flame war. Yet ;) I think both sides get huffy because everyone ends up attacking each other. Once people see that you take the same core classes and just have a varying clinical experience, I believe the footing will finally start to be the same. (Yes DO's are focused on general practice but I think that could be a good thing. You still get your electives as well as your specialty training is in RESIDENCY, NOT in med school. Med school just gives you a flavor! I have a friend who's a DO considering surgery and has done quite a few surg electives).

At least this generation of doctors is more informed than some of the "old-school" doctors. :)

mshheaddoc said:
At least this generation of doctors is more informed than some of the "old-school" doctors. :)

I agree, but the problem is that some of the old-school doctors happen to be residency admissions directors, and that contributes to the stigma against D.Os. A while ago someone posted on this forum that they got an interview for a residency program (I don't remember which one, but it was competitive). This person had excellent GPA, board scores, etc. The director told him that they made an exception for him, and that usually they disregards any D.O applications that they receive. How can a person in this position be so ignorant?

frank51 said:
I agree, but the problem is that some of the old-school doctors happen to be residency admissions directors, and that contributes to the stigma against D.Os. A while ago someone posted on this forum that they got an interview for a residency program (I don't remember which one, but it was competitive). This person had excellent GPA, board scores, etc. The director told him that they made an exception for him, and that usually they disregards any D.O applications that they receive. How can a person in this position be so ignorant?

why do DOs have to give both the COMLEX and the USMLE???

shuzee said:
why do DOs have to give both the COMLEX and the USMLE???

They are generally not required to take the USMLE, but it's recommended if they're applying to more competitive allopathic residencies. The admissions directors need to have a basis to compare everyone, and therefore they prefer that everyone take the same test. COMLEX is required for all D.O students.

frank51 said:
Only thing we can do is wait it out I'm afraid, like they say ... you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Remember its not ALL people who have that stigma, but its still out there. Ignorance is bliss :(

As stated maybe this generation of doctors can make a difference. Osteopathy in the US is the only osteopathic medicine that actually "practices medicine" really in the whole world. Which is why sometimes its hard to go abroad as a DO. I'm not saying area don't accept any type of doctor but with an evolving nation, one would hope we could unify. They are trying to fight for it, but it these stigmas that will hold back medicine as a whole. Doctors everywhere need to unify to create a better medical system no matter where you went to school or what letters are behind your name. We all have the same goal to better our patients and the healthcare system. I just hope that people remember that goal and work towards it