D.p.t./mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efm6110

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any practicing (or formerly practicing) PTs out there who could give me some insight on whether or not it would be beneficial for a PT to obtain both an MBA/HCM and a DPT? Becoming more educated is clearly beneficial, but in terms of helping me to propel myself into higher positions in the field of PT, would employers look highly upon a recent grad having both degrees? I know some PT programs, such as Emory, offer a dual degree option that takes approx. 4 years to complete so I am wondering if many more programs are going to eventually go this route. Any information/advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

A PT that I work with has a dual degree, MBA I believe. She currently works in the inpatient hospital setting and does not receive any extra compensation in her salary for the dual degree.

She has business plans for the future, and obviously her MBA will help her with that. At the current time, however, her salary is the equivalent to all the other PT's with her experience.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was afraid of...massive debt, little compensation...things do not add up!

As a clinician, it won't have any benefit to warrant a higher salary. However, if you're interested in going into a more administrative or managerial role in a rehabilitation center or hospital in the future, it would definitely be an asset.