MD d

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Passionseeking

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
e

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I know that my stats aren't crazy but I've read that this is competitive at top schools for URMs, I'd appreciate any input, from a school list to even if it's worth it to apply to them or not

To be completely honest with you, I believe your stats will most likely lead to a rejection from Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Penn, and Cornell. You may have a shot at Dartmouth and Brown, who aren't as focused on stats. I don't say this to be discouraging, but to prevent you from applying too top heavy.

If you had something exceptionally rare on your app (the so-called "x-factor") like being a Rhodes Scholar, Forbes 30 Under 30, Olympic athlete, something along those lines....then you'd still have a shot at the big names. But your MCAT is average, GPA is below average, and rest of application is pretty average. And average is fine, but doesn't typically cut it for the Ivies.

I think you're certainly competitive for many medical schools and should throw in a couple of Ivies as reaches if you have the money, but I personally wouldn't say you're competitive at most Ivies. Others may disagree. But I'm partially going based on my experience when I applied.

I (also URM) applied to Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Penn, and Cornell with significantly higher stats, a PhD with over a dozen publications, tons of community work and leadership experience, numerous awards, a patent, and an "x-factor". I got into Yale and Columbia, and didn't even get interviews at the others.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To be completely honest with you, I believe your stats will most likely lead to a rejection from Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Penn, and Cornell. You may have a shot at Dartmouth and Brown, who aren't as focused on stats. I don't say this to be discouraging, but to prevent you from applying too top heavy.

If you had something exceptionally rare on your app (the so-called "x-factor") like being a Rhodes Scholar, Forbes 30 Under 30, Olympic athlete, something along those lines....then you'd still have a shot at the big names. But your MCAT is average, GPA is below average, and rest of application is pretty average. And average is fine, but doesn't typically cut it for the Ivies.

I think you're certainly competitive for many medical schools and should throw in a couple of Ivies as reaches if you have the money, but I personally wouldn't say you're competitive at most Ivies. Others may disagree. But I'm partially going based on my experience when I applied.

I (also URM) applied to Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Penn, and Cornell with significantly higher stats, a PhD with over a dozen publications, tons of community work and leadership experience, numerous awards, a patent, and an "x-factor". I got into Yale and Columbia, and didn't even get interviews at the others.
Appreciate your response! Yea now that I look it's definitely a relatively average application lol. I was homeless for a bit and mentioned that in the disadvantaged section but I'm guessing that wouldn't change much.

How would you recommend I craft my school list?

I think several schools will definitely take that into consideration, and no school is a guaranteed no...esp. if you have connections at that school.

If I were you, I'd apply to all the NY schools (including the Ivies+NYU, but with the understanding that they're still reaches), all the HBCUs, and then any other schools you're interested in and have the money for.

Avoid public schools that don't accept many OOS/out of region students such as Washington and UC Irvine. I do think you're competitive for most schools and maybe somebody here like Faha or Goro can recommend a list for you. But you should consider what you're looking for in a school wrt location, curriculum, etc.

Other than that, I don't feel comfortable recommending any particular schools because I don't know what you're looking for. But the approach I took for my application was every state school, every HBCU school, 5 of the Ivies, and every private school I was interested in located in the South and Midwest (regions I wanted to be in). So Case Western, Duke, Emory, Michigan, Northwestern, SLU, Tulane, UChicago, Vanderbilt, WashU, and a couple in the Mid-Atlantic like Temple and Hopkins.

It’s not really helpful to group med schools by Ivys. Dartmouth and brown are not in the same league as HYPCC

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
Rochester
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Miami
Tulane
St. Louis
Northwestern
Indiana
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
Rochester
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Miami
Tulane
St. Louis
Northwestern
Indiana
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
This is amazing! Thank you so much for this list! I only want to apply once so willing to apply to more schools, would you recommend anymore?

10) played 4 sports, in track I hold 6 records that are still yet to be broken, president of clubs, started a tutoring business, lead role in plays, e.t.c
What events did you run? I was a track guy and absolutely love the sport. Sorry to interrupt the thread.

What events did you run? I was a track guy and absolutely love the sport. Sorry to interrupt the thread.
Haha dw it's all good, ran the 100m, 200m, 400m, and then the other 3 were relays

• Love
Haha dw it's all good, ran the 100m, 200m, 400m, and then the other 3 were relays

Nice! I also ran the 100 and 200, but did the long jump and 4 x 100 as my additional events.

Appreciate your reply. Good luck to you out there on the interview trail! You'll do great!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! I also rant he 100 and 200, but did the long jump and 4 x 100 as my additional events.

Appreciate your reply. Good luck to you out there on the interview trail! You'll do great!
Wow doing the long jump is super impressive, can't even see myself doing something that looks like that lmao.

And thank you I really appreciate it!

Wow doing the long jump is super impressive, can't even see myself doing something that looks like that lmao.

And thank you I really appreciate it!
Haha! Yeah, in hindsight, the long jump was terrible for my knees and I wasn't good enough to put that kind of damage on my body (22' 7" PR). But back then, it was all so fun!

Haha! Yeah, in hindsight, the long jump was terrible for my knees and I wasn't good enough to put that kind of damage on my body (22' 7" PR). But back then, it was all so fun!
Haha at least you'll always have the experience 😂

• Haha
This number is sufficient.
Hey if it's ok to ask, out of curiosity, what was your thought process making this list? Like besides stats what else did you incorporate?

Hey if it's ok to ask, out of curiosity, what was your thought process making this list? Like besides stats what else did you incorporate?
State of residency (SUNYs)
Cities with large AA populations (Boston, NY, Philadelphia, Cleveland, DC, Atlanta, St. Louis, etc.). Schools like students who match their patient population.
Some target AA URM (HBCUs, Miami, Indiana and others)
Small AA applicant pool. Only 300 AA applicants each year with a GPA of 3.4 or higher and MCAT of 508+. Over 150 MD schools so only 2 per school. Top 30 schools have to compete with all schools for those applicants so even the most competitive schools may interview an applicant with 3.5 GPA and 511 MCAT.

Reactions: 5 users
Cities with large AA populations (Boston, NY, Philadelphia, Cleveland, DC, Atlanta, St. Louis, etc.). Schools like students who match their patient population.
Small AA applicant pool. Only 300 AA applicants each year with a GPA of 3.4 or higher and MCAT of 508+. Over 150 MD schools so only 2 per school. Top 30 schools have to compete with all schools for those applicants so even the most competitive schools may interview an applicant with 3.5 GPA and 511 MCAT.
Oh wow that's amazing rationale, ty again!

Where do you find stats that like? I’ve been searching but can’t find anything.

Where do you find stats that like? I’ve been searching but can’t find anything.
The data is from AAMC from a 3 year period from 2013 through 2016. The odds are better now since there are more than 2,000 1st year MD positions with new schools and increases in class sizes .

Attachments

• GPAMCATGridblack2015.pdf
    221.8 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 2 users
The data is from AAMC from a 3 year period from 2013 through 2016. The odds are better now since there are more than 2,000 1st year MD positions with new schools and increases in class sizes .
Is there an updated version of this with new MCAT scoring system?

The recent ones have not been updated by race or ethnic background. If you want to compare the old MCAT to the new one the conversion is approximately:
25=500
30=509
35=517

Yeah. Being a URM adds maybe 5-8 points to your MCAT. An ORM 3.7/516 faces an uphill battle to get into top schools. Good luck…but you’re not quite Harvard grade. You might get lucky, but don’t count on it.