D2 @ NYUCD AMA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatePractice5

Reaction score
Answering any and all questions...

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chances of acceptance
3.2 GPA
Taking Dat July 21st
Collegiate Athlete(Wrestling) 6264hrs
Academic Enrichment experience- 348hrs
Club Founder/President- 560hrs
Patient Care Tech/CNA- 1120hrs
Dental Shadowing #1- 32hrs
Dental Shadowing #2- #6hrs
SHPEP/Shadowing- 288hrs
Volunteer Wrestling Coach- 72hrs
Mission trip- 80hrs
Minority- African American
Very Disadvantaged background
Strong Personal Statement
Strong LOR’s
GPA dropped due to personal issue mentioned in application

I’ve already received the email from NYU to pay the supplemental fee, is that a good sign?
What's your overall vs science gpa? Your shadowing hours are pretty low compared to the ones I generally see. Those hours are used to see if you overall have a good idea of what being a dentist is like first hand. So I hope you're actively working on that as we speak. You have a lot of diverse experiences which is great. GPA is 3.0+ so that is always a starting point. Generally speaking, being a minority gives you a better chance than the average applicant so you have that going for you. All in all, get those shadowing hours up and aim for a 20+ DAT and you have a great shot. Supplemental fee doesn't mean much in terms of future acceptance. But you should be in good shape like I said.

What's your overall vs science gpa? Your shadowing hours are pretty low compared to the ones I generally see. Those hours are used to see if you overall have a good idea of what being a dentist is like first hand. So I hope you're actively working on that as we speak. You have a lot of diverse experiences which is great. GPA is 3.0+ so that is always a starting point. Generally speaking, being a minority gives you a better chance than the average applicant so you have that going for you. All in all, get those shadowing hours up and aim for a 20+ DAT and you have a great shot. Supplemental fee doesn't mean much in terms of future acceptance. But you should be in good shape like I said.
I attended shpep and I got atleast another 40-60hrs shadowing there. My Science GPA is a 3.1.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) How much educational debt do you expect to have at graduation?
2) How much do you expect to earn as a dentist?
3) What do you expect your monthly student loan payment to be?
4) How long do you expect it to take to pay off your educational debt?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 8 users
How do you like nyucd? I’ve heard scary stories where a good amount of people have to repeat a year and the admin can be very tough on their students.

1) How much educational debt do you expect to have at graduation?
2) How much do you expect to earn as a dentist?
3) What do you expect your monthly student loan payment to be?
4) How long do you expect it to take to pay off your educational debt?

Big Hoss

1) I pay around $112,000 per year. 30k per year deans scholarship. Normal tuition and fees around $142,000.
2) I've done my research. I'd say realistically, starting out $165,000 - $210,000. Not getting into details.
3) Probably $2,500 a month to start out. Gradually paying bigger lump sums here and there from investments. But I expect to pay everything off within 10 years of graduation. These numbers tend to freak the average dental student out. But that's not me. I'm not the average dental student. Most of the kids in dental school aren't real go getters and they haven't really had to work for anything financially in life. Everything has been handed to them. It's so many ways outside of being a dentist to make the necessary money needed to pay off these loans. This wouldn't phase a true hustler. Its just gotta be in you.
4) I answered this in bullet 3. I can only speak for myself. I know some grandpa will come on here and try to give me a sob story on how some of these things aren't realistic, but they can only speak for themselves. And most people tend to offer opinions based on their own insecurities.

I didn't bother to read this over for grammar. So yeah.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
How do you like nyucd? I’ve heard scary stories where a good amount of people have to repeat a year and the admin can be very tough on their students.

Most of the rumors are bs to be honest. Every school has them. The faculty care a ton and there are some really good professors. Dr. Spielman for example. I think he is retiring or has retired so you probably won't get to experience him. Pretty much don't miss class and stay on top of things. It is tough but you have time to get the most out of your studies. You just have to be dedicated. If you miss things they always record class so you have that. And your class would have a discord where you can collaborate and ask your classmates questions. So the support is great. The facilities are great and you're in New York. Of course every dental school has its perks and sometimes there are mishaps but you have to realize that is also life. It is what it is. Just try to be the best student you can be so you can be the best dentist you can be. Take this serious. But don't forget to have fun. Everything is very doable. Some classes yes they are notorious for having people repeat exams (remediation) like neuroscience or head and neck anatomy. But you get a ton of support. They want you to pass and move on. It wouldn't make them look good if that wasn't the case. They give you plenty of time to retake exams that may have caused you to score in a certain range during the summer. Its not a big deal. You pass the exam and you move on. The admin are tough but thats because they care and want to produce great professionals. Its not that big of a deal. And this isn't coming from a straight A brainiac.

1) I pay around $112,000 per year. 30k per year deans scholarship. Normal tuition and fees around $142,000.
2) I've done my research. I'd say realistically, starting out $165,000 - $210,000. Not getting into details.
3) Probably $2,500 a month to start out. Gradually paying bigger lump sums here and there from investments. But I expect to pay everything off within 10 years of graduation. These numbers tend to freak the average dental student out. But that's not me. I'm not the average dental student. Most of the kids in dental school aren't real go getters and they haven't really had to work for anything financially in life. Everything has been handed to them. It's so many ways outside of being a dentist to make the necessary money needed to pay off these loans. This wouldn't phase a true hustler. Its just gotta be in you.
4) I answered this in bullet 3. I can only speak for myself. I know some grandpa will come on here and try to give me a sob story on how some of these things aren't realistic, but they can only speak for themselves. And most people tend to offer opinions based on their own insecurities.

I can tell you don’t have a background in finance if you think a $2500/mo payment is going to pay all that off in 10 years. I understand you mentioned “gradually” but if you’re not averaging ~6k/mo not a chance you get that paid back in 10 years.

Reactions: 4 users

If you're paying $112k per year for 4 years with a 6.5% interest rate, your principal is $448k and your total loan amount over 10 years would be ~$600k.

If you're repaying at $2500 a month, over 10 years, you will repay $300k, which is less than half of what you owe. That will require some substantial "bigger lump sums" to make up the difference if you plan to be debt free in 10 years.

Not trying to give you a "sob story on how some of these things aren't realistic." Your math just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
If you're paying $112k per year for 4 years with a 6.5% interest rate, your principal is $448k and your total loan amount over 10 years would be ~$600k.

If you're repaying at $2500 a month, over 10 years, you will repay $300k, which is less than half of what you owe. That will require some substantial "bigger lump sums" to make up the difference if you plan to be debt free in 10 years.

Not trying to give you a "sob story on how some of these things aren't realistic." Your math just doesn't make sense.
And your math doesn’t even include living expenses…… especially new York living expenses. So it’ll be more than that.

Reactions: 2 users

My father flips homes in our inner city. Buys properties, restores them and resells. Makes several hundred thousand dollars per flip. I will join him. So, aside from being a dentist this is where most of my income will come from. Which ultimately translates to paying off loans faster. This is why I said I can only speak for myself. I was asked a question about myself. My father offered to pay my tuition but I declined. It's my own debt. So it's not his responsibility. I will start off paying about $2,500 per month and then like I mentioned I will gradually pay huge amounts at a time.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
And your math doesn’t even include living expenses…… especially new York living expenses. So it’ll be more than that.

This does include living expenses. I'm paying about 142k total with living expenses included. 30k of that per year is a scholarship. The other 112k are loans. The educational expenses are about 100k. The left over money is for living expenses.

I just graduated across the river and I don’t know a single recent grad who is making that much in the area. People are fortunate to find full time work which pays 120k.

This is why you can only speak for yourself. I'm not staying in NYC. Thanks.

My father flips homes in our inner city. Buys properties, restores them and resells. Makes several hundred thousand dollars per flip. I will join him. So, aside from being a dentist this is where most of my income will come from. Which ultimately translates to paying off loans faster. This is why I said I can only speak for myself. I was asked a question about myself. My father offered to pay my tuition but I declined. It's my own debt. So it's not his responsibility. I will start off paying about $2,500 per month and then like I mentioned I will gradually pay huge amounts at a time.

You and I both know, the biggest question for pre-dents regarding NYU dental is "How does one survive with the massive debt load that comes from attending a school with such exorbitant tuition?" For you, the answer to that question is "joining my very lucrative (non-dentistry) family business." For the majority of people who don't have a rich family to fall back on, that's not a useful answer. If anything, it reiterates why one should not go to these programs: the degree that you're getting is not going to get you a job that can service your debt.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
You and I both know, the biggest question for pre-dents regarding NYU dental is "How does one survive with the massive debt load that comes from attending a school with such exorbitant tuition?" For you, the answer to that question is "joining my very lucrative (non-dentistry) family business." For the majority of people who don't have a rich family to fall back on, that's not a useful answer. If anything, it reiterates why one should not go to these programs: the degree that you're getting is not going to get you a job that can service your debt.

My advice would be to have some kind of 30 year fixed income repayment plan. Let's say $2,000 per month. The goal here should not be to wait 30 years until the debt is paid off. Just manage your money and be responsible. You can still have a great life financially where you pretty much can do as you please. Just have some kind of savings. And at the end of each year after saving put maybe 15-30k extra onto your loan account. Even with interest you could be done paying this crap off by 40. Its not rocket science. And this should be seen as an investment. Its not about coming from a rich family. You shouldn't be relying solely on your dental income anyway. Everyone should have multiple streams of income period. What if you get fired one day or you get sued? This is why I made the hustler comment. Because most kids have had things handed to them all of their lives. So do not go into dentistry if you have to take out loans and you don't have a plan on how to tackle the debt.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
most kids have had things handed to them all of their lives.
My father offered to pay my tuition

The cognitive dissonance here is strong.

The fact that you have an established, safe secondary stream of income insured by your family is your dad paying your tuition, just not up front. That's why you can pay this off in 10 years and why you're telling other people to pay their's off over 30.

Your above advice is fine for the average pre-dent: amortize the loan over many (not 10) years, get some savings, invest said savings in non-dentistry streams that are hopefully growing at a faster rate than the loan interest. But for pre-dents who are considering NYU, they should know that if they go here on full loan, it will be very hard for dentistry alone to sustain them, particularly if they want to "only" work one job.

Reactions: 2 users
The cognitive dissonance here is strong.

The fact that you have an established, safe secondary stream of income insured by your family is your dad paying your tuition, just not up front. That's why you can pay this off in 10 years and why you're telling other people to pay their's off over 30.

Your above advice is fine for the average pre-dent: amortize the loan over many (not 10) years, get some savings, invest said savings in non-dentistry streams that are hopefully growing at a faster rate than the loan interest. But for pre-dents who are considering NYU, they should know that if they go here on full loan, it will be very hard for dentistry alone to sustain them, particularly if they want to "only" work one job.

Sir or ma'am. The initial questions started with "What do you" and "How long do you". These questions were directed towards myself. Not dental students at NYU overall. I'm not here to give anyone financial advice. If you don't want to spend that kind of money in tuition and fees guess what? You don't have to. This is just how it is. Don't apply to NYU. This is life. Deal with it. This is not a "safe secondary stream of income". The work that I put in as a dentist and a business entity will dictate how much money I make and how fast I pay off loans. No one is handing anything to me. Good luck to you. You're going to need it.

Sir or ma'am. The initial questions started with "What do you" and "How long do you". These questions were directed towards myself. Not dental students at NYU overall. I'm not here to give anyone financial advice. If you don't want to spend that kind of money in tuition and fees guess what? You don't have to. This is just how it is. Don't apply to NYU. This is life. Deal with it. This is not a "safe secondary stream of income". The work that I put in as a dentist and a business entity will dictate how much money I make and how fast I pay off loans. No one is handing anything to me. Good luck to you. You're going to need it.
You started an AMA thread where pre-dents who are interested in going to NYU look. What @HKSZYU probably means is that you are an outlier to the norm and are not providing useful answers to those that are curious about the program.

Reactions: 3 users
I was going to say…… this sounds more like a puff piece than an AMA thread.

I’m a D3 in dental school, and I’ll just say this. It doesn’t matter where you go to school, go to the cheapest option. They all suck, teach you the bare minimum and most the learning happens in the real world. It’s just a hoop to jump through in the giant game of fiery hoops to become a dentist. That’s why so many people have gotten on this thread and talked finances, because you mine as well do it in the least amount of debt as possible. Most of us don’t have daddy’s money to fall back on to pay or help pay for dental school, so that’s why people think it’s distasteful to brush off finances when D school costs an unrealistic amount . And that’s why it should be mentioned that NYU is a school you attend apparently if you’re parents are rich or if you didn’t get into any other school.

I’ll tell you this, I love dentistry, and I worked in the dental field 3 years before dental school, but I’d completely change professions before I’d attend a place like NYU and bury myself in debt I’d be stuck with for most of my working life. You can be financially free and just as happy working many other jobs that may not ‘pay’ as much but not spend your career trying to pay off a mountain of unrealistic debt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.