DACA student - What are my options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadXOXO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a NC student graduating from college with a BA in Mathematics & Psychology this coming Spring. I am beginning the process applying to dental school but I've run into a roadblock: Some dental schools have never met a DACA student. I have no problems with my GPA or DAT score, it's my immigration status that is holding me back.

There are two dental schools in NC which are pretty much shutting their doors (ECU only accepts NC residents with green cards and UNC only accepts students with green cards) so I think it is time for me to move around the US, become a resident in a certain state, and apply to dental school there. So here are my questions:

1. What states should I steer away from due to racial profiling, unfriendly to immigrants, difficulty to get a driver's license, etc?
I'm crossing out Arizona and Nebraska off my list. Any other states?

2. Which states are the most supporting and accepting of DACA students and immigrants?

3. What states would consider me as a resident & accept me with just DACA?
I know there is a list for undergrad colleges but does this also include the dental schools in that area?

4. What other options should I think about doing?

I know this is a very touchy subject so thank you so much in advance for helping me out.

Members don't see this ad.

Cross UAB off your list if AZ is off your list as well. AB has some weird law as well.

I don't think there is a list for DACA. Are you able to secure federal loans? If so, a bunch of the private schools don't care what state you're a resident of and you might be considered an international. NYU, Boston, Tufts, Louisville (takes internationals, not private), Case Western off the top of my head.

Other states that are friendlier are Illinois, NY, California. But also some of the most competitive schools. Make sure you move for a job rather than applying to dental school and you usually have to wait a year or 2 otherwise you won't change residency depending on the state.

If you are engaged or in a long term relationship to a citizen, I would think about marrying soon to expedite your green card.

I am a NC student graduating from college with a BA in Mathematics & Psychology this coming Spring. I am beginning the process applying to dental school but I've run into a roadblock: Some dental schools have never met a DACA student. I have no problems with my GPA or DAT score, it's my immigration status that is holding me back.

There are two dental schools in NC which are pretty much shutting their doors (ECU only accepts NC residents with green cards and UNC only accepts students with green cards) so I think it is time for me to move around the US, become a resident in a certain state, and apply to dental school there. So here are my questions:

1. What states should I steer away from due to racial profiling, unfriendly to immigrants, difficulty to get a driver's license, etc?
I'm crossing out Arizona and Nebraska off my list. Any other states?

2. Which states are the most supporting and accepting of DACA students and immigrants?

3. What states would consider me as a resident & accept me with just DACA?
I know there is a list for undergrad colleges but does this also include the dental schools in that area?

4. What other options should I think about doing?

I know this is a very touchy subject so thank you so much in advance for helping me out.

Hi there!

There is a lot of movement happening on this!

Check out the group "Pre-Health Dreamers" -- www.PHDreamers.org. They are this network of undocumented pre-health students connecting with each other to find the answers to these questions. A majority of folks are interested in medicine (some are even applying and have been accepted to medical schools) but others want to pursue pharmacy, nursing, public health, dentistry, or even research (PhD).

Reactions: 1 user
You will be asked to show proof that you can pay 2 years worth of tuition out of packet by showing a bank statement. More than anything, besides of being considered international, financial aid will be the biggest issue.