daily/weekly pt in military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staystrong

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of applying for HPSP scholarships. One really random question I had from reading around these forums is, what do dentists do during PT/exercise time on a average day in the military? Is it assigned running, or are you given free choice in what you want to do to exercise like lift weights, swimming, etc?

When people say things like "11-12:30 is lunch/PT", I'm just curious if it's free exercise or group runs or what. I realize it probably varies a lot, but I'm just looking for examples. Obviously a couple times a year you do the actual physical fitness test, but during the rest of the year I'm curious if you have freedom of choice in how you want to exercise.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Most of the time you don't do unit PT..you are in the clinic. If you do unit PT, you may run with them. Some people work out over lunch....hence the lunch/pt thing. That is voluntary. Most of the time, you are expected to do PT on your own time enough to pass the APFT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most units allow individual PT , but depending on the discretion of the commander, he or she can institute mandatory unit PT (e.g. if they get pissed off at the officers for some reason or another). I think we are the only unit on our huge base in Texas that has this many CPTs, MAJs, and COLs doing unit PT. In most other units, CPTs and higher commanders and don't do unit PT, so as you can imagine, it's quite a funny sight to see such large group of officers doing PT.

When I was a Navy dentist, did PT 3 times a week for 3 years, at 6 am, when stationed with the Marines at 29 Palms.

It is almost completely up to your individual unit commander, and the type of unit you eventually get stationed with.