Dalhousie or Temple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lake Powell Lvr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one would you rather go to and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would be crazy to go to Temple rather than Dalhousie. First of all Dalhousie is in a much better location. This may not matter much to you if you don't have family like me. Also Dalhousie's class size is only 35. I am not sure what the class size is at Temple but I bet it is at least double that. From the research I have done in talking to Dalhousie alumn and current students they say the clinical is awesome. My buddy is in his first year up there and said that he spends almost 2 full days a week in the clinic observing and assisting and he said in your second year you get 5 patients of your own to do all the work on. Everyone from Canada is way cool too from what I've seen. The biggest reason you should choose Dalhousie is because I'm going there and if your from Utah like I'm guessing you are , I need someone to split a semi with for my move to save some $$$$$.

They are both great schools!

I guess it all depends on where you want to live and where you would want to settle down after.

Dal's in a small city (Halifax) in the Eastern Canada...kinna isolated from rest of Canada. But Halifax is a great small town, everyone's really nice up there, really safe...So go to Dal if you want to experience a nice small town Canadian atmosphere..

Temple on the other hand...its in philly..north philadelphia...enough said. I'm sure you'll see some interesting cases by going to this school though..

Members don't see this ad :)
As a Canadian, I'd pick Dalhousie. People in the maritimes are ultra friendly and nice, and trust me, that could make a huge difference in your first few years of clinic. The atmosphere is great, Halifax is a port city with all the amenities you would ever need and it is soooo unbelievably safe, with probably very little gang activity. Real estate is also very reasonably priced. It gets pretty cold obviously, but Philadelphia isn't exactly Miami either... The ocean tends to have a bit of a moderating effect too at times.

Sooo there u have it! If I was in your situation it'd be an automatic decision. Good luck at whatever school u wish to attend.

Thanks for all the posts, all great points and helpful too.

i interviewed at Temple. The place sucks. Seriously, imagine being in the ghetto, with cold, dull, weather, and then you go inside temple and it doesn't get any prettier. I seriously thought about leaving half way through my interview because i was feeling so depressed just being there. Go to Dalhousie <--what is that by the way :D

As a Canadian, I can tell you that the Maritimes is beautiful and the people are great, but its BORING AS HELL.....Halifax is the largest city and it has a population of only 370,000.....I have many friends from the Maritimes and they couldnt wait to get out......

Sure you'll be within a university setting and Im sure there are many things to do, but outside of the university, good luck. (I guess you could hit on the Japanese tourists who come to Prince Edward Island for the Anne of Green Gables tours)

However, if thats your cup of tea, and you can handle that for 4 years, I'd definitely goto Dalhousie. It'll save you tons of cash, and Dalhousie is a very reputable university in Canada if that matters to you.

Halifax is still is bigger metropolitan centre than any city in Utah... maybe Salt Lake is a bit more urban, but other than that, the only differences probably lie in the weather.

HermieDDS said:
First of all Dalhousie is in a much better location.

Uh, not if you prefer any sembelance of nightlife and culture in your time at dental school.

HermieDDS said:
Everyone from Canada is way cool too from what I've seen.

OhMiGawd! They're all like totally awesome... this one guy in my clinical with a maple leaf on his backpack has the cutest smile. I think i'm going to ask him to the Winter Harvest dance... :laugh:

docious said:
Uh, not if you prefer any sembelance of nightlife and culture in your time at dental school.

OhMiGawd! They're all like totally awesome... this one guy in my clinical with a maple leaf on his backpack has the cutest smile. I think i'm going to ask him to the Winter Harvest dance... :laugh:
No offense but LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was like totally cool! OMG!

duh? said:
No offense but LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was like totally cool! OMG!

Okay guys, let all get along. I appreciate all the relevant posts, thanks!

First of all Dalhousie is in a much better location.

docious said:

Wasn't this your own view on Philly? And BTW there is plenty of culture in NS.

Posted By docious
N. Philly is a rough area, no question......

N. Philly is a rough area, no question... arguably one of the worst in the country

OhMiGawd! They're all like totally awesome... this one guy in my clinical with a maple leaf on his backpack has the cutest smile. I think i'm going to ask him to the Winter Harvest dance... :laugh:[/QUOT

Dal is an amazing school! And I imagine the tuition would be pretty good for you guys as well. If Dal was in the states, it would resemble a small Ivy type school. I can't believe you're even comparing it to Temple! (well, I can understand cuz you're American and might want to stay close to home). I think you gotta go with Dal.

Audio said:
Dal is an amazing school! And I imagine the tuition would be pretty good for you guys as well. If Dal was in the states, it would resemble a small Ivy type school. I can't believe you're even comparing it to Temple! (well, I can understand cuz you're American and might want to stay close to home). I think you gotta go with Dal.
ok so - if ur american and go to a canadian school ....and after move back to the usa that do you have to do to practice in USA....what types of exams?

Audio said:

Agreed. The more I've thought about it, the clearer the decision is. Although FYI, tuition isn't much different than Temple, taking into account the currency conversion, and getting residency in Philly which I think I can do. Dal's international student tuition is almost 2 and a half times as much as Canadian citizens' tuition. (I need to become a Canadian dangit) Actually, if tuition rates stayed the same as they are now, which they won't, Temple ends up being $15,000 cheaper in the long run.

But of course I'd love to have the student-teacher ratio of Dalhousie. So, as long as things go well, I'm going to Dalhousie. I'm so excited!

Canadian dollar's getting stronger and stronger!! It used to be at like 65 cents ( for 1 US dollar) but now it's at 90 cents! Experts say its forecast to be even with American dollar within 5 years~

Good for Canadians and not so much for Americans.

Lake Powell Lvr said:
Agreed. The more I've thought about it, the clearer the decision is. Although FYI, tuition isn't much different than Temple, taking into account the currency conversion, and getting residency in Philly which I think I can do. Dal's international student tuition is almost 2 and a half times as much as Canadian citizens' tuition. (I need to become a Canadian dangit) Actually, if tuition rates stayed the same as they are now, which they won't, Temple ends up being $15,000 cheaper in the long run.

But of course I'd love to have the student-teacher ratio of Dalhousie. So, as long as things go well, I'm going to Dalhousie. I'm so excited!