Dallas be like... Second Ebola patient in Texas (a nurse)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's say there was a minor ebola outbreak in Dallas hypothetically. What, in your opinion, should Emergency Rooms do in that case? To my understanding (or misunderstanding), there's no way to tell the difference between the early stages of ebola and the flu.

(Mods: This is intended strictly as a discussion of individual opinion of a hypothetical situation based on OP's article. If this comes too close to asking for medical advice, feel free to delete.)

Last edited:
Let's say there was a minor ebola outbreak in Dallas hypothetically. What, in your opinion, should Emergency Rooms do in that case? To my understanding (or misunderstanding), there's no way to tell the difference between the early stages of ebola and the flu.

(Mods: This is intended strictly as a discussion of individual opinion of a hypothetical situation based on OP's article. If this comes too close to asking for medical advice, feel free to delete.)
As a "qualified" person to answer your question, I think we can't really know that if it is ebola in the early stages because as you mentioned the symptoms are flu-like and flu season is coming. Maybe any patient that shows serious signs of flu-like symptoms should be isolated and monitored for any signs of infection.

10378126_10152727560206223_4861276698986809414_n.jpg

As a "qualified" person to answer your question, I think we can't really know that if it is ebola in the early stages because as you mentioned the symptoms are flu-like and flu season is coming. Maybe any patient that shows serious signs of flu-like symptoms should be isolated and monitored for any signs of infection.

10378126_10152727560206223_4861276698986809414_n.jpg
*flashbacks to finals week

Edit: but seriously I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to differentiate

Reactions: 1 users
*flashbacks to finals week

Edit: but seriously I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to differentiate
We came up with a solid plan to pick who has ebola.
duck-duck-goose-o.gif

Reactions: 5 users

tumblr_n0moiiuf6C1qaa8d1o2_500.gif

We deal with it the same way we deal with a URM admission thread.

Am I the only one dealing with all the ignorant people on facebook freaking out?

Am I the only one dealing with all the ignorant people on facebook freaking out?
Dude, of course my Facebook friends are from Texas and I haven't heard one moan or rant about ebola.

Reactions: 1 user
I especially like the ones blaming the president. This never would've happened if Barackolypse wasn't in office.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, of course my Facebook friends are from Texas and I haven't heard one moan or rant about ebola.
That's because most of y'all are gearing up to try to kill it. About 1/4 of my family is very Texas and I'm fairly certain they think it's some kind of invasion.

Texas is the best country in the state! We'll take care of them trespassers

I legitimately read the word "Obola" today in an article and I exploded. I'm actually dead.
Wow.

Apparently, a lot of this "obola" nonsense is due to the fact that he purportedly said that it was unlikely for the virus to come to the U.S. Now people are acting like he somehow broke a promise.

I legitimately read the word "Obola" today in an article and I exploded. I'm actually dead.
We all know it's part of his master plan to put us in FEMA camps. Let the rest of the sheeple drone on with their meaningless lives. I'll continue to make a difference by blogging in Moms basement.

Dude there is seriously a girl on FB who bitched about the story about a dog from Spain (though she said it was in America and omg it was spreading) that got Ebola and that he shouldn't have been killed and instead cured like the humans. -_-

Dude there is seriously a girl on FB who bitched about the story about a dog from Spain (though she said it was in America and omg it was spreading) that got Ebola and that he shouldn't have been killed and instead cured like the humans. -_-
Of all people you should agree, I mean have you looked in a mirrior (your avatar, not calling you ugly) =)

Reactions: 2 users
Don't worry guys, I got the cure.

Bzy6LUxCEAAxTJB.png

Since Obama couldn't take away our guns here in Texas he had to use the only thing that no native Texan would ever dare to harm with a gun: A black immigrant in desperate need of healthcare.

Since Obama couldn't take away our guns here in Texas he had to use the only thing that no native Texan would ever dare to harm with a gun: A black immigrant in desperate need of healthcare.
Damn, now IM dead.

But how do I cure the cancer this post gave me.
Don't worry, colloidal silver can cure anything. The only problem would be dying of silver poisoning.

That's because most of y'all are gearing up to try to kill it. About 1/4 of my family is very Texas and I'm fairly certain they think it's some kind of invasion.
Ebola toork urgh jebs!

:hijacked: Hey hey hey...this is my thread. Okay? lmao :welcome:

Bzy6LUxCEAAxTJB.png
I think it's obvious that Jerry Jones has the cure and is making the Cowboys play for it. "Superbowl or die trying"

If Ebola were to become a problem in the US, right now in Texas would be the perfect storm for it to happen. Texas has among the lowest (the lowest?) level of insured in the U.S., partly because the state refused to expand Medicare under the ACA, and the flu season is starting, so people might be less likely to seek treatment thinking they simply have the flu at first. I don't think it will happen, but right now, in Texas, there are some circumstances that would make it more likely than in other parts of the country and more likely than at other times of the year.

Yeah, as Texan...common folk freaking out on Facebook. Not educated at all, that's the problem with Cable news peddling medical information.

Yeah, as Texan...common folk freaking out on Facebook. Not educated at all, that's the problem with Cable news peddling medical information.

And cable news giving equal time to statistically insignificant possibilities (see climate change deniers getting equal air time for another example).

Bzy6LUxCEAAxTJB.png
I follow the Facebook page called "Things anti-vaxers say" that has stuff like this posted many times a day. Some of it is *#%&ing horrifying. Their poor children.

Wait, I thought the CDC had this under control? I thought it was "impossible" for Ebola to spread within the US? Schwaaaaa?
I think it turned out to be that she didn't follow protocol correctly.

I watched the video about the nurse who contracted ebola, they couldn't make a 2 minute video without doctor hate and doctor blaming. Nurses

I think it turned out to be that she didn't follow protocol correctly.

That's what the CDC is saying, but both the hospital and the nurse claim that protocol was always followed.

Regardless, perhaps we can tone down the arrogance and realize that we aren't so awesome at taming nature as we'd like to believe.

Why was a 26-year-old nurse who started working in critical care 3 weeks ago working on an Ebola patient??!

From what I know about this, it seems like the "not following protocol" was not actually blaming the nurse. basically she had to do a required procedure that may have increased the chances of contracting the disease. I think they were referring to the procedure as "not in protocol". I could be totally wrong also.

The nurses coworker just got sick as well. And of course she didn't listen to her travel 'ban' and flew on a plane anyway.

The nurses coworker just got sick as well. And of course she didn't listen to her travel 'ban' and flew on a plane anyway.
Damn, some people just want to watch the world burn!

The original patient though... He literally carried a woman with Ebola then got on a plane. -_-