Dangerously incompetent resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Struggling567

Reaction score
Hi,

New here. I just started an IM residency this year. I know many threads have been posted similar to this, but I was just looking for advice.

I feel that, essentially, my poor communication skills and lack of knowledge make me a dangerous intern. I did well in medical school and had no problems matching, but I took a year off during med school for research, and have lost a good deal of knowledge (didn’t read much at all).

Consequently, I’m doing fairly poorly in comparison to the other interns, struggling to come up with ways to manage basic things like insulin regimens for diabetics and diuretics for CHF patients. I ask the upper level for permission on everything, including Tylenol orders—I think I’mdriving them crazy. I can’t read an EKG to save my life. I arrive earlier than the other interns and finish later. They’re teaching med students at the end of the day while I’m struggling to finish notes. I anchor badly, and miss pertinent hx and PE findings.

Yes, I have tried to fix these things—reading more—but I can’t remember much of what I read from UpToDate. I’ll read the entire chart of a patient and not be able to remember much of it an hour later. I’ll call a consult and sound like an idiot for my lack of knowledge of he patient. I’ve already run afoul of a consultant, who emailed my PD about my incompetence. My program is fairly supportive, so I was told it didn’t affect me, but now I’m ‘that resident.’

I just dread hurting someone for my incompetence; there’s no way on earth I could see myself functioning as an upper level. I barely sleep at night worrying what things I forgot to do. I genuinely want to quit residency before I cause serious damage.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi,

New here. I just started an IM residency this year. I know many threads have been posted similar to this, but I was just looking for advice.

I feel that, essentially, my poor communication skills and lack of knowledge make me a dangerous intern. I did well in medical school and had no problems matching, but I took a year off during med school for research, and have lost a good deal of knowledge (didn’t read much at all).

Consequently, I’m doing fairly poorly in comparison to the other interns, struggling to come up with ways to manage basic things like insulin regimens for diabetics and diuretics for CHF patients. I ask the upper level for permission on everything, including Tylenol orders—I think I’mdriving them crazy. I can’t read an EKG to save my life. I arrive earlier than the other interns and finish later. They’re teaching med students at the end of the day while I’m struggling to finish notes. I anchor badly, and miss pertinent hx and PE findings.

Yes, I have tried to fix these things—reading more—but I can’t remember much of what I read from UpToDate. I’ll read the entire chart of a patient and not be able to remember much of it an hour later. I’ll call a consult and sound like an idiot for my lack of knowledge of he patient. I’ve already run afoul of a consultant, who emailed my PD about my incompetence. My program is fairly supportive, so I was told it didn’t affect me, but now I’m ‘that resident.’

I just dread hurting someone for my incompetence; there’s no way on earth I could see myself functioning as an upper level. I barely sleep at night worrying what things I forgot to do. I genuinely want to quit residency before I cause serious damage.

Thanks.

You're what, about 6 weeks into intern year? These feelings aren't unusual. Do you have an upper level that you trust and feel you can confide in? If so, maybe talk with them about some of your concerns. If your upper levels are any good, they won't care about you asking even dumb questions at this time of year. Things will get better. You'll get better. You'll stop asking so much. It's ok.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm lucky that I'm in a program with very kind upper levels who are always willing to give advice. However, I do wonder if there is a point at which an intern is determined to be too incompetent to continue.

I'm lucky that I'm in a program with very kind upper levels who are always willing to give advice. However, I do wonder if there is a point at which an intern is determined to be too incompetent to continue.

Honestly, usually they will be giving you clues this is the case. Although, that can happen too late. The microscope is a horrific place to be. But so far it doesn't sound like you're there.

What do you mean that you're "that resident." Can you tell us more?

What feedback have you gotten? What feedback are you asking for?

Reactions: 1 user
We all start somewhere.

I applaud you for having the courage to realize there are deficits.

Now time to craft a corrective plan.

At the heart of all of this is improving your ability to organize information and complete tasks.

First of all, there is no "shining" as an intern. There's just differing levels of pain and humiliation. Create a reasonable goal for yourself, which isn't shining special snowflake, but surviving.

Things you do as PGY1 intern that make attendant's or resident's job easier or more difficult?
is probably my best most organized post on the topic of how to be good
Things you do as PGY1 intern that make attendant's or resident's job easier or more difficult?
I also list how to be baaaad

Comfortable shoes for wards
For shoes, this is "step one" of your success
This goes with my advice, always buy a good bed, and a good pair of shoes, because if you're not in one you're in the other.

Directions out of Burn Out Central?
more on basic self care

Creating rounds list on EPIC?
A *detailed* guide on setting up Epic if that is your system, but can be easily adapted as a system for collecting prerounding data in the am

Stressed out already!
some basic tips, below that is a post on what your job really is

Stressed out already!
same thread, post that is a *detailed* guide on organizing your to-do list and notes that you carry for presenting in your pocket
the pharmacist is your friend
, get good at typing and holding a phone to your shoulder at the same time (depending on your system you can bring a plug in headset in your pocket to really go hands free!)

Grave concerns about lack of oversight & teaching at new program
thoughts on approaching the program about problems

Grave concerns about lack of oversight & teaching at new program
more on efficiency, same thread

How does one fail a rotation?
more on efficiency, and asking for feedback, what your job as an intern actually is

I feel like I suck at talking to interviewing pts and eliciting info
taking a faster history, railroading your patients in conversation and smoothing their feathers

What interns should know day 1.
what to know, what to carry, post below the immediate one linked is my list of useful topics to have a handle on for clinic and wards

What should I have in my white coat pocket as an intern? (books, charts, food, and ect...)
more on what to have with you, custom pockets

Night Float weekend
Some ideas about night float - I recommended the book from the EM Resident Association "Top Clinical Problems in EM" for night float, ICU, & EM rotation
especially as an intern, my first concern was not missing emergencies!

What do you log as work hours?
why you must not only lie about work hours, but how to not get caught in the EHR doing so

Resident friend joked about suicide
Setting up medical care, particularly mental health, for yourself NOW

Alcoholics Anonymous in residency
If you have any substance abuse issues that need looked after. There's also a section in there where I talk about disabilities and how they can mesh with your program (given how common substance abuse and chronic pain our in our cohort I thought it worth adding here)

How to apply for disability accommodations
I wrote this guide for a disabled med student, but the lessons learned here are useful for residents with disabilities as well

Disability Insurance in Residency
definitely think about disability insurance! if it happens to you, you'll likely wish you were dead instead depending how much life insurance for your family you bought unless you bought enough disability insurance

I feel like a hypocrite, but I feel like I'm ready to quit intern year
thoughts about maintaining a professional facade

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...under-anesthesia.1145407/page-2#post-16691284
watch your mouth at all times

Feeling overwhelmed
work place topics to avoid

Unfriendly residency/hospital environment?
my 3 rules for how to get along better ie kiss ass better is buried here

Professional Email Signature format for Residents
Now that you have a nifty title, how should people address you?

Discussing Code Status
End of life chemotherapy: unnecessary, costly, and decreases quality of life
My thoughts on code discussions & setting goals of care...
"annoying" time consuming "chores" shunted to interns in some institutions.... and arguably where you have the *most* impact on patients' sense of well being

How to run a code
not just on running a code but... closed loop communication! that concept will spare you headaches

Tips and Tricks to stay alert on Test Day?
my test tips and tricks.... the ITE matters more than you will be led to believe, and may be helpful for step 3... don't **** those off

Does Zofran cause sedation in your experience?
a few pearls on nausea, anti-nausea meds, anti-emetics, delirium

Be as CYA saavy as @Law2Doc . He is a shark and just the sort of mindset you will be dealing with and needing to impress in many of your attendings/admin. Everything that @Perrotfish ever said, just remember almost none of your attendings will be as cool as him. I think @Doctor4Life1769 gives great advice especially on politics. @aProgDirector gives great level advice but I wouldn't go in expecting your PD to be as reasonable as they are. Check out their past posts on stuff to learn more about how things work.

My personal mantra, is that your job is to be safe, fast, and pleasant, in that order. Also, you are a notemonkey making love to a pager. Keep your head down and don't make waves.

As I say in my posts above, get as much admin crap out of the way before you start, learn your EHR if you can, gather resources to make your life easier (white coat pocket cards, USEFUL review books, and phone apps), and as others said, live as close to the hospital as you can, get all your affairs settled (dental work, car repairs, new tires, rental car benefit on your auto insurance, disability insurance, preventative care, IUD, dry cleaning, moving, and finding all the stuff you need in your new town like a new doc, drycleaner's, auto mechanic, etc) because you won't have time later.

1) Self care.

If you can, work on getting better sleep. It is the foundation of your day, efficiency, learning, retention, communication.

Where I write about self-care I have tips for sleep. You can also search my post history on that. Not medical advice, but a statement of fact, some people find melatonin to help. It's helpful to know the pattern of dysfunction in your sleep for addressing it. However things like blocking out light, when you last have caffeine, not having any alcohol, can affect quality for the sleep you *are* getting. Maximize your sleep and its quality.

Be sure you are taking the time and seeing to it you have access to good food and water. Gotta keep the machine fueled and oiled. Don't underestimate what fatigue and not enough food and water can do to your brain function.

2) Organization.

I hope that you have Epic, because my detailed posts on that might help you. You come in early - do you have a good system for speedy pre-rounding and taking down that data in the AM?

Do you have a system for efficient rounding on patients to ensure you're on time with that? Somewhere in my post history I discuss how I used a timer on my phone to be sure to have time to not only see the pts, but hopefully go over with my senior so I looked less idiotic.

Do you keep a good well-organized to do list? Are you helping to keep track of the little things? Even if you're not coming up with great plans, being on top of things like start/stop courses of things like abx can really help your team. Same with f/u of cx, img, consult results and the like. Keeping track of requirements towards d/c - what forms/assessments SNFs want, making SW aware, checkboxing on your to-dos those requirements, plus other things like are they ambulating, PO, etc. These are little annoying details.

For abx, I had the Sanford guide. Aside from the hospital biogram, that really helped me to come up with solid plans for my uppers, and made it easy to put in my note how long a course, so the start/stop date too.

Basically to start, you want to be helping to micromanage all the data even if you're not putting it all together. And taking care of scut. Freeing up your uppers in this way makes you less of a bother.

3) History

Somewhere I discuss taking a history in a systematic fashion that can help you not to miss data you should be collecting from patients. It helps if you start to develop and think about, based on a given CC, what specific ROS should you be asking? For example CP should prompt 3 questions always: quality, radiation, SOB on exertion. GI issues you should always ask about n/v, bowel movements, blood in any of the above. Each of these have a given basic ddx. Thinking in this fashion seems obvious, but I like checkbox medicine, so sitting down and writing down and thinking about this stuff helps consolidate your thinking and history taking.

That data gathering, so that your seniors and attendings have what they need to come up with good plans, is essential. So just doing a good job of covering your HPI, ROS, PMHx, also does a lot for them. Because there's nothing more annoying than not being able to make a plan because you have to go actually talk to the patient just to ask a simple pertinent ROS q, when you're an upper.

4) PE

I have a system for VERY quickly recording PE findings in the AM, because trying to keep track of what all the lungs sounded like and on what side for all 10 patients, even if only a few were abnl, was beyond me early on. The way I recorded that made that part of my presentations MUCH smoother. Let me know if that interests you.

I find the most nitpicky exam to not miss things and to record, to be the neuro exam. I had a pocketcard that helped with this. I had Maxwell's because it's cool and has a Snellen on it. I had a dot phrase template that was *just* the more detailed neuro exam and was easy to modify to record abnl findings. I would insert that more detailed PE section where needed. I had PE dot phrases that were customized to the rotation or note type at hand.

5) Communication & Notes

Organization and checkboxing will help your communication. What are the issues with your communication at this point?

Remember you want to be safe, fast, pleasant, in that order. OTOH, it's important to be liked. Go with being liked over trying to look smart. Above I discuss how to ask seniors for help and feedback. It's essential as a struggling resident that you ask for help and feedback early and often. You would think they would tell you if you're on the chopping block, but sometimes they don't. OTOH, if you are that resident, someone will often at least tell you so if you ask.

During my first presentation to an upper or senior I didn't know, when I got to Vitals, PE, Labs, I would take a breath and ask if they always wanted values on vitals, or if they wanted me to say "normal" for each, or even just say the ones that were abnormal. Same with PE, do they want you to say something for each section, or just pertinent findings? Same with labs. Some attendings do want you to list every single value. You'd think they'd just stop and tell you but they don't always, instead they sit and glare at you, this way you also show that you're trying to be proactive about better presentations.

That's all I got. It was a weak point for me, and it seems most difficult to figure out how to get better with this, but I think you will.

My notes were taking a lot out of my hands to type - my senior had a trick for abbreviating words in Epic but having them spelled out in the note anyway. Seniors had various templates. You can get with IT/Epic/EHR helper people to figure out time saving things regarding dot phrases, tabs, and if you see a template of someone's you like, you can often find it and steal it for your own without having to ask anyone about it. There's also a way to create your own template where you just hit tab and then click on a whatever of a number of drop down choices. This made my PE notes both extremely quick and easy, but also detailed enough for honesty, billing, and keeping good track of things.

Good templates can really help your organization, not missing things in your history and PE.

6) Plans

So what you don't remember U2D? For now just use it to figure out what to do. Things will start to stick, I promise.

Safety - here's a few ideas. One is that I carried the Top Clinical Problems in Emergency Medicine (I think that's the name) pocketbook that you can get cheap from EMRA site. It's not a bad thing to have on hand so that you consider emergencies and what to do. (Seniors and attendings alike liked it, and would steal it at times even during codes). If I was scared it was reassuring, and then it let me know I had time to consider all the non-emergent things and the patient probably wouldn't die as I did so.

Also, that no matter what, there are always orders that you can safely put in on your patients - do those. You can hold off on the others to ask your seniors. The first step of not killing the patient isn't a bad one.

When doing an admit, I discuss in a post linked above, a trick from a senior so you can get orders in quickly and get the patient upstairs without being too worried you've overstepped on orders. Things you're struggling with, the more specific a question you have to the senior, the better tips they can give you. I wasn't getting patients upstairs and staffed quickly enough - so my senior shared how they do it faster which I discuss.

I relied a lot on references I could carry too - Sanford Guide as I said, PocketMedicine, EM book. The Clinician's Guide to Laboratory Medicine had algorithm pages I liked.

I have pocketcards like the COPD Pocket Consultant & EMRA Clinical Prediction Card - very useful Wells Criteria PE & DVT, and PE r/o criteria, and PORT score. Although you could just find those - the card also has Ottawa ankle, foot, knee, Nexus and Canadian spine, CT Head. All of which can help you on rotations and clinic depending. I used the PE/DVT portion almost daily it felt like.

The ACLS Acute Coronary Syndromes and Stroke is good too. My 3rd year senior going into critical care at a prestigious fellowship program used to snag my ACLS Cardiac Arrest, Arrythmias, and Their Treatment card when they were on call. I felt better having it.

Maybe I should have said first, I think it's good before a rotation to look up an "Intern Survival Guide" for it online. You can find free ones. Somewhere on SDN as well people suggest those sorts of resources for whatever rotation is at hand. It helps immensely.

As for anchoring, a key thing is to come up with a good ddx to help you not do things. Sometimes anchoring happens because you're just not pulling off the top of your head enough possibilities. This is where the EM book, PocketMed, or U2D can be helpful to look over, as well as a good system to guide your history taking.

One of my posts above discusses a list of topics, like DM, COPD, musculoskeletal issues, that you want to review ddx & basic plans for each.

MedCalc, USPTF phone app, other phone apps and calculators, can be really useful.

7) EKGs

My weak point as well. People like Dubin's and it's a fairly quick read. People don't like Dubin's because he was nailed for child porn. EKG pocketbrain is an option. I have a 12 Lead EKG Quick Reference Guide. Lilly's Pathophysiology of Heart Disease has a section I like.

8) Conclusion

I think identifying weakness as you have is a good thing. My advice as well is to figure out what seems to be holding you back time/efficiency wise, and then come up with a plan to address that. If it's EKGs, then you get references and study them when you've carved out time by getting your note templates tweaked and faster. For me at one point I felt like just typing was an issue, so I spend 5-10 min a day in a free online training app until between work and the practice it sucked less.

I apologize for the long post. I hope it's not overwhelming. I hope it gives you some real ideas/strategies for getting better besides a pat on the back that it will all be OK (not criticizing anyone here or anyone that will have words of encouragement). You don't have to implement everything overnight.

I have more practical tips should you need them, and tips for NF. Just ask where you would like me to expound.

Good luck, remember that you can be more helpful to the team than you think, even if you're struggling on plans. There are concrete ways to address knowledge we can discuss, and that part will come with time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
If you come up with organization, make the EHR do some work for you, and gather the proper resources at hand, it will help. Once you gain some extra time from efficiency, you can start to focus on improving knowledge base with reading and practice Qs.

First, chill out, you have a plan and tips. Chill out so you can get some sleep. You're not going to kill anyone if you ask for help, which you're doing.

People want to help you do well. They will guide you. You're only 6 weeks in, and all of your feelings are normal. It might not seem like it, but the people that you look to as the best interns right now, most of them are sweating bullets, having a hard time sleeping, and possibly even crying actual tears on the daily. So no one really has a good perspective on how they are doing right now, the best and competent intern 6 weeks in could be walking on eggshells about being fired. Everyone is overwhelmed, even the new seniors.

That's not to say that you don't have big areas to improve as you suspect, but also that it could very well seem worse than it is. Don't let it get you down, each day really is a new day, so just try to take steps to be better today than you were yesterday.

Avoiding panic, catastrophizing, anxiety, are the best things you can do to immediately improve communication and presentations as well. Put aside worry, it won't help.

Gosh, I think somewhere on SDN someone posted a nice format for how to address doing consults on the phone. Maybe someone can chime in.

Lastly, if my advice helps you not at all, you're not struggling to that point, than you're not doing as bad as you think. Just in case it comes up how useless my advice is. If it's useless that's a good thing for you.

Gosh, I think somewhere on SDN someone posted a nice format for how to address doing consults on the phone. Maybe someone can chime in.

that was probably me...had a GI fellow teach me the "how to call a consult for dummies"

When you call
1. Hello, this is *insert name here* and I am an intern (important to say your level of training) on *whatever team you are on* and I am call to request a consult.
2. The patient's name is *insert name, MR#* and (s)he is in Room *** (important for consultant to know where the pt is located).
3. The pt is a --give a concise 2-4 sentences on the pt. The first sentence should be something like this is a 29 yo AAF with a medical history significant for DM2, HTN, HLD, who was admitted for hyperglycemia with a blood sugar of 800. The next couple of sentences should be more focused on why you are placing the consult (ie the GI fellow is not going to care about the details of the pt cardiac history unless it pertains to the consult).
4. My question for you (and this is very VERY important since there should ALWAYS be a question) is *state your question*.
5. Now wait...the fellow will ask you questions...it will be important that you have information about the pt- have the computer open, have notes on the pt, etc. If you do not know an answer, don't LIE or fudge an answer...just say that you don't know but you will find out and get back to them...and do that.
6. Ask if there is anything you can order that can help them and say thank you for your help.

you do this and you will be a rock star at calling consults and people will know that you know how to call a consult.

oh and for the consult that is getting called because your attending want one? You can always say that " my attending on the service would like to request a consult at the end of #1.

this was probably one of the most useful things i learned all during my intern year.

To the OP, the fact that you are concerned, means that you are not a dangerous intern...that would be the person that thinks they do know everything 6 weeks into their intern year...as suggested above, find a senior that you can talk to that seems organized and capable and ask them for advice.

Reactions: 18 users
There was a handy app i used as an intern called md on call - good for the quick review prior to seeing the patient for thr common on call complaints

Reactions: 1 users
that was probably me...had a GI fellow teach me the "how to call a consult for dummies"

When you call
1. Hello, this is *insert name here* and I am an intern (important to say your level of training) on *whatever team you are on* and I am call to request a consult.
2. The patient's name is *insert name, MR#* and (s)he is in Room *** (important for consultant to know where the pt is located).
3. The pt is a --give a concise 2-4 sentences on the pt. The first sentence should be something like this is a 29 yo AAF with a medical history significant for DM2, HTN, HLD, who was admitted for hyperglycemia with a blood sugar of 800. The next couple of sentences should be more focused on why you are placing the consult (ie the GI fellow is not going to care about the details of the pt cardiac history unless it pertains to the consult).
4. My question for you (and this is very VERY important since there should ALWAYS be a question) is *state your question*.
5. Now wait...the fellow will ask you questions...it will be important that you have information about the pt- have the computer open, have notes on the pt, etc. If you do not know an answer, don't LIE or fudge an answer...just say that you don't know but you will find out and get back to them...and do that.
6. Ask if there is anything you can order that can help them and say thank you for your help.

you do this and you will be a rock star at calling consults and people will know that you know how to call a consult.

oh and for the consult that is getting called because your attending want one? You can always say that " my attending on the service would like to request a consult at the end of #1.

this was probably one of the most useful things i learned all during my intern year.

To the OP, the fact that you are concerned, means that you are not a dangerous intern...that would be the person that thinks they do know everything 6 weeks into their intern year...as suggested above, find a senior that you can talk to that seems organized and capable and ask them for advice.

This is amazing. I wish I'd had this as an intern.

This is amazing. I wish I'd had this as an intern.
He did point out that if you are calling a GI consult you should always have the answer to “what did the rectal show” and that if your answer was I didn’t do a rectal then they would tell you do do the rectal and call me back

The funny thing was it was a 2week elective at the beginning of July...in a field o wasn’t particularly enthused about...everything happens for a reason and that rotation was worth it for just that < 5 mins of teaching. It is practically the 1st thing I teach to the med students, interns, and residents.

First of all, I've found that the interns/residents who are worried about their performance and also those who are coming in early and staying late are never the ones that are "that resident." Most of doing well in residency is showing up, being engaged, and being willing to do what it takes to care for patients. The interns I always worried about most were the ones that DIDN'T call me, especially when they were in over their heads. Everyone is nervous this early in the year, and it takes a while to feel comfortable placing orders without someone looking over your shoulder. IF you're ever in doubt, call for help. As mentioned above, figure out an organizational system that works for you. Ask your attendings how they prefer presentations (do they want whole story on new patients or just the highlights if they're already reviewed the H&P, vital ranges vs recent vitals vs "normal with the exception of," all labs addressed or just pertinent and concerning labs, problem vs organ system assessments and plans). It's always better at the start of intern year to give more information than less. If your senior has time, run through the plan on your patients prior to rounding. Sit down with the team or senior after rounds and run through for each of your patients what the plan is and what needs to be ordered, consults placed, etc. Make a checklist and then check each item off.

Reactions: 5 users
Also, it sounds like you may be dealing with some anxiety. I speak from experience. I never wanted to be on medication for anxiety, but I finally decided to try an SSRI after I wasn't sleeping well thanks to recurrent worrying before sleep and awakening to phantom pages and patient-care related dreams. Anxiety and poor sleep can make it very difficult to focus and care for patients, and it makes residency so much harder than it needs to be. Make sure you are taking care of yourself, and if you feel like you are feeling overly anxious and having difficulty with sleeping and focusing, it may be time to talk to your doctor to consider options.

Also, it sounds like you may be dealing with some anxiety. I speak from experience. I never wanted to be on medication for anxiety, but I finally decided to try an SSRI after I wasn't sleeping well thanks to recurrent worrying before sleep and awakening to phantom pages and patient-care related dreams. Anxiety and poor sleep can make it very difficult to focus and care for patients, and it makes residency so much harder than it needs to be. Make sure you are taking care of yourself, and if you feel like you are feeling overly anxious and having difficulty with sleeping and focusing, it may be time to talk to your doctor to consider options.
Glad you said it before I did. Prozac is a wonderful drug.

This is a very good consultation calling template. The only thing I have changed over time is in #3. I like to put the chief complaint or consult reason before the PMH although it’s not traditional.

For an endocrine consult, it could be “Patient is a 29 yo female admitted for severe hyperglycemia with a FSG of 800. She has a PMH of type 1 diabetes, HTN and HL...”

I would limit the PMH to the 3 most pertinent... unless it’s relevant, no one cares about gout, osteoarthritis, hyperlipidemia, glaucoma. I want to know severe heart or lung conditions or major chronic problems.

I have received many calls like this “Mr so and so is a 70 yo man with a PMH of colon polyps removed 5 years ago, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, osteoporosis, T&A at 5 years old. His social history is notable for cat ownership. His labs are... blah blah blah. His vital signs are... We are calling because we want to switch his PCA to oral opiates can you help?”

Especially early in your training the consultant knows what he or she wants to hear about so it’s better to get the reason out there at the beginning then to have a wordy presentation that is only partially relevant. It’s not the end of the world to be directed somewhat through follow up Qs.

When you call

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

Thanks.
Now that I'm one of the upper levels who is overseeing Jr residents, I can tell you that the most dangerous ones are the ones who are too confident to ask questions. Remember, one of the best ways to learn medicine is to keep asking questions. Ask your nurse, pharmacist, consultant, social worker, or whoever. They all know something we don't. There is no dumb question

Also, you can't eat an elephant all in one sitting. If you're reading the chart likes it a novel, it's no wonder that you're not retaining much and feeling like it's taking too long. Consulting the chart is often like consulting a non-judgy colleague. Have a question for when you access the chart - what meds are the patient on, when was that procedure, what did the MRI show?, etc. How do you know what questions to ask the chart? By what questions your seniors and attendings are asking you. Never make them ask for the same class of missing information more than once. Medicine is like a super complex game, you can stare at the rulebook all you want but it doesn't replace playing the game with experienced colleagues and a willingness to take feedback constructively.

"A little Zoloft never hurt anybody" (a cute, but technically incorrect phrase)

sertraline is nice choice in depressed patients with low energy levels

not a QT prolonging drug!
Most common side effects are (initial) GI upset, sexual dysfunction/anorgasmia

I took a year off between graduating and residency. I did mostly psych electives and optho rotations (counted as surgery ) my 4th year. I got the Intern survival guide, I think by Washington and kept that in my pocket and whenever xyz happened, I used that book. I thought I was THE worst intern ever. I did a TRI at a DO hospital and there were no teams, no senior resident for IM rotations. The attendings worked in the afternoon so if anything happened and the patient needed something I had to step up. We could call the attending - few called back. We could ask the ICU resident but they were usually busy and some got irritated. Some of this seems anxiety related, it was for me. Consider seeing a therapist in addition to meds. You seem to know your weaknesses and work on those. It's really early in the year. Rapid response codes on days I was the house officer- all me. I got through it. If I did it you can too. Others have mentioned some good advice. It turned out that while I was waiting to see if I matched in psych I was talking to the IM residents, my DME and they actually thought I was one of the better interns. It's just August, you will improve and you are probably doing better than you think.

Update: I'm really thinking of leaving before I get kicked out. I'm missing things on my patients left right and center, and am getting worse, not better. Examples: patient with indwelling Foley and UCx with GBS bacteria and leukocytosis--somehow I thought was just colonizing and didn't suggest abx. Next day, antibiotics started by my team. Others--forgetting to check up on a mag level of a patient on lasix that turned out to be 1.1, not f/u on I/Os of a patient being diuresed, knowing less than the medical students about important things on my patients, knowing less in general than third year medical students on key topics like pancreatitis, being unable to ascertain if bowel sounds are present or not, if acute abdomen is present. It's embarrassing how early I come in to still not make it to morning report--ever. I spend so much time with patients in the morning and miss key things on the hx. If patients refuse to do things, I can never talk them into doing it --although the interns or medical students can. Everytime an attending gives me feedback and asks how I felt things went, I nearly cry because I know I'm doing so poorly--they never tell me I'm in danger of being dismissed, but they don't deny it when I say I'm not at the level of my peers. I feel that the upper level is watching me more closely than the other interns, and if they have to split patients among us, will give me the easy, straightforward patients and my co-intern the more complex patients because they know I'll screw up and forget things.

I can't read anything anymore because I don't feel any motivation to do anything. I go home, eat and sleep. On my days off I just surf the web and sleep. I have no friends, and speak with family once a week or so. I want out, but know that this will just be one more thing in life I've failed, and will never be able to pay off the debt. I hate everything about life now, and can only see this getting worse--I just to fall asleep and never wake up

You need to take a temporary leave of absence (1-2 months) and get help now. Your stress level is worsening your performance, and you are burning out fast. After you have
had a chance to get counselling and spend time on your own wellness, then you can be in a better position to decide whether to continue in this program, specialty, or even career altogether - dont make that decision until you are in a better place.

Update: I'm really thinking of leaving before I get kicked out. I'm missing things on my patients left right and center, and am getting worse, not better. Examples: patient with indwelling Foley and UCx with GBS bacteria and leukocytosis--somehow I thought was just colonizing and didn't suggest abx. Next day, antibiotics started by my team. Others--forgetting to check up on a mag level of a patient on lasix that turned out to be 1.1, not f/u on I/Os of a patient being diuresed, knowing less than the medical students about important things on my patients, knowing less in general than third year medical students on key topics like pancreatitis, being unable to ascertain if bowel sounds are present or not, if acute abdomen is present. It's embarrassing how early I come in to still not make it to morning report--ever. I spend so much time with patients in the morning and miss key things on the hx. If patients refuse to do things, I can never talk them into doing it --although the interns or medical students can. Everytime an attending gives me feedback and asks how I felt things went, I nearly cry because I know I'm doing so poorly--they never tell me I'm in danger of being dismissed, but they don't deny it when I say I'm not at the level of my peers. I feel that the upper level is watching me more closely than the other interns, and if they have to split patients among us, will give me the easy, straightforward patients and my co-intern the more complex patients because they know I'll screw up and forget things.

I can't read anything anymore because I don't feel any motivation to do anything. I go home, eat and sleep. On my days off I just surf the web and sleep. I have no friends, and speak with family once a week or so. I want out, but know that this will just be one more thing in life I've failed, and will never be able to pay off the debt. I hate everything about life now, and can only see this getting worse--I just to fall asleep and never wake up
eed

What have you done to address your health? Not medical advice, I'm curious if you've seen a PCP or psychiatrist. Employee wellness is often an option, but I wouldn't know, you can set up a PCP and psych on your own with your insurance, preferably to folks outside your system and EHR. I was lucky that such individuals were a short walk from the hospital.

Personally, for career purposes, I would get on that stat. I've been known to slip into the bathroom in the afternoon to call to make appts during business hours if one can't make time to call otherwise.

I think in my intern megapost I talk about how to get discreet medical care while in training, and look for providers with experience with physicians which is a bonus. Sometimes the program or employee health can help with this. I would probably try on my own and if I really couldn't find the right people turn to the program or hospital for referral ideas. Many PDs have a list of PCPs and mental health providers for their residents, unsurprisingly.

I would get that care in place and the appointments made, and THEN go see my PD about this if possible. Having these providers in place is proactive, and will facilitate the process of asking for time off for health reasons. Beyond the practical that typically you need things signed from these people to get that time off, it shows that you are proactive, and thinking way far down the line can ultimately be somewhat protective in your career if things do go really south. It will also be time saving for the PD if you show up with those providers already on board.

You need the program to be aware of health issues before they start to enact any official actions on you, like forcing you to take a leave, putting you on probation, etc, if possible.

This advice is not meant to be medical - it's about the best way to manage mental illness with respect to your career.

Proactivity, adherence to treatment, and communication with providers and the program, is the name of the game. Documentation.

I know it sounds like a lot, and I know you're not in a good place to take great care of yourself all around, health or career-wise. If you can manage despite illness to pull off the above, you will be in the best place to not only get well but come back to a salvageable career.

I would point out as well, that even if you don't plan on asking for time off, or you think you're on your way out, that you should do the above anyway as one avenue of groundwork to come out of this in the best circumstances that you can.

While I mention that often the program or hospital has referrals for you, there are some caveats.

DO NOT get eval'd by someone of their choosing that is associated with the program/hospital or will report to them. You want medical and mental health care that is truly confidential. Do not give your PD or HR permission to speak with your providers, as a general rule. There are exceptions, but this I think requires a really good relationship with your providers and a trust that they will handle things in what you both agree are your best interests.

Do not sign over your medical records at any point if you can avoid it.

There will have to be some communication in the form of filled out forms and such. You can be involved in every step of what is written about you from your providers to your program.

Again why getting someone whose only interest is your welfare and not affiliated with the hospital is wise, and especially if they have some experience dealing with this stuff for fellow docs.

Lastly, you may want to consult an attorney who is familiar with ADA, employment law.

Document every interaction you have with the admin. Keep all written/email records. Write summaries with direct quotes and date them. You can also mail them to yourself and keep them unopened to create a time record.

You need to take a temporary leave of absence (1-2 months) and get help now. Your stress level is worsening your performance, and you are burning out fast. After you have
had a chance to get counselling and spend time on your own wellness, then you can be in a better position to decide whether to continue in this program, specialty, or even career altogether - dont make that decision until you are in a better place.

eed
In case you don’t feel this advice strongly enough, read this post again.

Go talk to your PD tomorrow about a leave of abscence. You need time to take care of yourself and you are not in the right state to do anything regarding your career right now. Your performance is declining rapidly. Patient safety may soon become an issue and you’ll get pulled anyway.

I don't know how cheap Lexapro is, but my doc gave me Prozac and it worked and therefore I recommend it.
eh, it's beyond the scope of this thread and getting into dangerous ground, suffice it to say there are medication options for mental illness with a decent side effect profiles, that are safe, effective, and affordable, that can do a lot to help. Most people are able to use them as a time-limited tool to treat an episode of mental illness, get better, and wean off medication under supervision. Some people may be on them more long-term, but usually this is because they find continued benefit. It isn't always necessary, but it's certainly worth seriously considering if a provider suggests its use.

This thread has been reported by several users due to the comments about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Members who have serious concerns about their career and would like to post details more anonymously may do so in the Confidential Consult forum.

At this time, given the nature of the thread and the concerns expressed, the moderation staff of SDN will close this thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.