DAT 20 and up club-Study tips for us rookies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcataz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know most people in here have successfull averaged 20+ on the academic and PAT section of the DAT. Could you answer the following.

1. What were your DAT scores?

2. What books/prep courses did you use?

3. When did you start studying for the DAT?

4. How did you prepare for the exam? How many hours a day did you study?

5. What study methods were a waste of time? What methods do you wish you spent more time working on?

6. How much material did you remember prior to studying for the DAT? Were you clueless in the beginning or did you feel that you had a firm understanding of the material?

7. Do you believe that you can work your way to a 20 regardless of your intelligence and test-taking ability?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the Kaplan BB for a good foundation. Don't spend so much time reading though, read 10%, do practice questions 90%. Even if you know that you will miss lots of questions on practice tests, this will gauge where you are at. Kaplan subject tests, questions from Cliff's AP Bio, Achiever and questions from various websites like sparknotes and cliffnotes.com helped as well.

WTF. Who keeps on bringing up these old azz threads. Where do people even find them.

WTF. Who keeps on bringing up these old azz threads. Where do people even find them.
LMAO, Klutzy, stop posting on the old ass threads, so you won't see them anymore. Dude, you are actually contributing to this:laugh:
This thread is REALLY OLD ASS though. It is a 2003 thread. 5 years ago!

Hey hoang posted on this one a month ago lmao. I am just curious where people find these threads.

bumping for some awesome info! any recent testtakers care to contribute any info? unless the test hasnt changed much in the last 7 years :p

7 years old? It seems like 20s at least 20s and 21s are the average score on the test now. sigh...

7 years old? It seems like 20s at least 20s and 21s are the average score on the test now. sigh...

nope, thats just on SDN...

Average DAT is still around 17, and average for those who get accepted is about 19.2-ish

Members don't see this ad :)
This was my first Kaplan test. I took it before I cracked a book.
PAT 19
AA 13

***********.COM and and old copy of the Kaplan Flash cards.

DAT Q VAULT

RC 22, 22, 21
QR 22, 17, 19, 19, 21
Bio, 18, 19, 19, 18, 21, 20, 18, 18, 17, 17
GC 21, 17, 18, 22, 20, 19, 19, 18
OChem 17, 17, 18, 22, 20, 18, 19, 19, 19, 18

Real DAT
PAT 22
QR 18
RC 20
BIO 22
GC 20
OC 20
Total Science 21
Academic Average 20

My scores from August 11

Bio: 20
GC: 20
OC:22
RC: 23
QR: 18
PAT: 21
AA: 21
TS: 21

All I used were Chad's videos for chem and math and watched them twice. My math score isn't very good but just because I've never been good at math.

Bio I used the Campbell-Reece AP Biology review 7th addition and read through it twice.
I tried Kaplan Blue Book but it sucked a lot. The bio is not worth looking at. It focuses too much on plants and stuff that's not as important and has a lot of mistakes. BUT, I have a strong bio background. A lot of what was on my test was never mentioned in the Campbell review. I just knew it from past experience.

I didn't study for RC.

PAT I used DAT Destroyer and took one full practice test then three of just the one section I had trouble on (block counting)

If you get a bad score, don't get too down. Here are my first scores from April:

Bio: 19
GC: 18
OC: 16
RC: 21
QR: 14.............not good.....Freaked myself out thinking about seeing my scores in a few minutes
PAT: 19
AA: 18
TS: 18

All I did was go over Chad's videos again, focused more, and studied longer and harder, while planning a wedding, but it seemed to work out.

I took two practice tests before my first DAT but none before the second. Kaplan Blue book I got a 19 AA and the 2007 ADA test and got a 19 AA

If this happens to you, just buckle down and get back to work.

Happy studying!

The secret to the DAT is TIME. Spend a lot of it studying. Study the sciences using text books and study guides at the library. I particularly liked Schaumm's Biology review. Just study everything you can get your hands on. I even studied an AP Biology review book. I studied full-time. I started beginning May 1st and took the test June 20th. I studied at least 6 hours a day. I had already studied in my free time during my last semester of school, so I spent all this time working on my weak areas. My recommendation to you is to study your arse off and then study some more. My GPA was very bad my freshman and sophmore year so I knew that my only shot at dental school was to do well on the DAT. I think everyone should study like their future depends on that test, because it actually does.

I scored a 22 in every category except I got 21s in math and perception. On the practice test that the DAT people send you I got a 26/26. Needless to say I feel the real exam is much more difficult. Some people disagree, but it is probably just attributed to a little luck either way. The real DAT was much more difficult than I expected. I really thought I would pull off a score in the mid-twenties. While I was taking the test I felt my dream of being a dentist slip through my fingers. I figured I was only gonna get like a 17 at best. When it came time to hit the button to see my scores I was about to break down. When I saw I got a 22 I almost passed out with relief. Still, I immediately felt that I should have studied even more. Still, my score was good enough to get me into 5 schools.

Just a FYI on why I was so paranoid, I took freshman Biology 3 times. Got a C-, F, and C- in that order. Not to mention a C in Calculus, C- in Gen. Chem I, C+ in Botany, and a D+ in Gen. Chem II. They were all in my first 2 years. My next to year were much, much better.

Moral of the story- STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. And as a side note don't drink too many beers your first 2 years, particularly when you go to a school like BYU. Needless to say I didn't quite fit in.
Thank you, knowing im not the only one who did poorly my freshman and sophomore makes me feel confident about not giving up. I will definitely take into consideration your tips! Thanks again. :) && Congrats!

Hi everyone,

I know most people in here have successfull averaged 20+ on the academic and PAT section of the DAT. Could you answer the following.

1. What were your DAT scores? See my siggy

2. What books/prep courses did you use? breakdown

3. When did you start studying for the DAT?breakdown

4. How did you prepare for the exam? How many hours a day did you study?breakdown

5. What study methods were a waste of time? What methods do you wish you spent more time working on?no waste of time here. I wish I had spent more on math and reading comp

6. How much material did you remember prior to studying for the DAT? remembered a lot of orgo and bio. Were you clueless in the beginning or did you feel that you had a firm understanding of the material? I was clueless with math and gen chem

7. Do you believe that you can work your way to a 20 regardless of your intelligence and test-taking ability?
Test-taking ability is 1/2 the battle, intelligence and hard work is key.

I wanted to post on here to give some advice for others taking the exam in 2013. I took my DAT last week and was definitely happy with the results. I didn't score crazy high like I've seen some people post about, but I was pleased with my score.

For Bio, I used Cliffs AP Bio and read through that thing 2x, 3x or more on subjects I assumed would be heavily tested upon. I made thorough study guides time and time again, and that really helped to lock the info in.
I also spent a lot of time going through an actual Bio textbook at the lib, gaining a bit of detail where I was lacking. I've got experience in Anatomy and Physiology, but little actual Bio experience. I scored a 20 on my bio section.

Gen Chem & Ochem--Again, I've only taken 1 semester of Orgo, I'm taking Ochem 2 next semester. I used Chad's videos at course saver .c o m, and that material is invaluable. If you ever read this, Chad, thank you! Seriously, so worth the money. I based most of my chemistry on Chads material and the DAT Destroyer (10/10 for chemistry, 7/10) for other subjects. I scored 19 in Gen Chem, and a 23 in Orgo.

QR--I used DAT Destroyer primarily. My lowest score was in this section, so I won't offer too much advice other than practice enough to where you feel relatively comfortable. I've read this is the least important section, but it's still not to be taken lightly. I scored an 18 in this section.

Reading--I practiced using DAT Bootcamp--great resource for all subjects btw--and I felt the practice tests for reading specifically were much more difficult than the real DAT, which was a good thing. I scored a 24 in this section.

PA--I enjoyed Perceptual Ability, and I used CrackDATPAT. Considering the first test I took I scored like a 15 on, it definitely was worth the money. Invest time in practicing AND reviewing this sectioning. Do research on specific sections where you're lacking--there are TONS of free techniques(pattern folding, cube counting, etc.) out there that will aid in improving your score. I scored a 21 on the real DAT, although I feel like given a second shot I could do better. Invest the time, and its totally do-able.

I studied hard for this test--I really gave it my all day in, and day out. I studied for 2.5 months, with a lot of time invested. For anyone out there struggling, I am 100% confident in saying that if you dump everything you have into this test, you CAN succeed! Keep up the hard work--if you do it right the 1st time, it'll be the only time you have to take it. GOOD LUCK! Believe in yourself, your ability, and what you're capable of. Keep your head in the books!

Other materials I used in case anyone is interested DAT:

DAT Bootcamp--10/10
DAT Achiever--Yes, it was hard as hell. My best AA was like a 16, so dont get discouraged.
Cliffs AP Bio--9/10
***********--10/10
DAT Destroyer--Chem 9/10 (although much more difficult than actual DAT, it is great prep material). Everything else was decent.

If I can answer any questions, give me a shout! :cool:Now, off to finish the personal statement. Wish me luck!

With confidence, integrity, and hard work, anything is possible.

AA-21 Science AA-21

Hi everyone,

1. What were your DAT scores?

2. What books/prep courses did you use?

3. When did you start studying for the DAT?

4. How did you prepare for the exam? How many hours a day did you study?

5. What study methods were a waste of time? What methods do you wish you spent more time working on?

6. How much material did you remember prior to studying for the DAT? Were you clueless in the beginning or did you feel that you had a firm understanding of the material?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1)
Perceptual Ability: 22
Quantitative Reasoning: 30
Reading Comprehension: 24
Biology: 21
General Chemistry: 21
Organic Chemistry: 22
Total Science: 21
Academic Average: 24

2)
Kaplan Blue Book
DAT Bootcamp
DAT Destroyer
Total Cost was around $400 (a ton less than a Kaplan course)

3)
Started June 1st and took the test July 30. Also was taking 2 classes and went went on a week long vacation

4)
Most important thing for me was to start by reading the Kaplan Blue Book front cover to back cover soaking in as much information as possible. After I had been through all of that, I went back to the chapters I had marked to come back to because I knew I needed more work. After that, I got DAT Bootcamp. DAT BOOTCAMP WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL I USED TO STUDY. I started out in June doing about an hour and a half for a week or 2. I wasn't that dedicated at first because I knew I had time. After that I stepped it up to about 3 hours daily until about July. I bought DAT Bootcamp early July. After I had that, I would do 2 sections of practice test and review all mistakes 5 days a week. I would generally take the weekends off. 3 weeks from the test, I started doing 2 practice tests a week. Practice tests are essential because it lets you become comfortable with the duration of the test. DAT Bootcamps tests and explanations are amazing and you'll learn a ton from your mistakes. I was getting about 20 on every section and like 19 overall at this point. A week from my test, I had taken about 12 practice tests because I believed that was the most important for me. I felt very comfortable at that point, and the week before my test, I only studied about 3 hours a day. The most I studied a day was probably 7 hours. I am a very focused and motivated person, so this was no trouble for me.

5)
What methods were a waste of time? DAT Destroyer was probably the biggest waste of money that I experienced. Yes, I did some of the problems from each section the week before the test, but I don't think I learned much from it. DAT Destroyer is best used as a final supplement that will boost your 20 AA to a 22+ because the questions are hard and you'll be challenged to expand your way of thinking. Definitely don't start with those questions after you have reviewed all your materials. Otherwise, I don't think I wasted a lot of time with my study materials.

6)
When starting studying, I wouldn't say I was clueless, but I definitely didn't remember all the details. I remembered bigger pictures and overarching themes. I had learned everything in the Kaplan Blue Book before I started studying at some point in my education, so just reading that book was enough to jog my memory.

7)
My general view of life in general is that anyone can do anything if it is what they really want. Am I happy with my 24 AA? Hell yes. Do I think I could do better if I studied another month and took it again? No doubt in my mind. One of my favorite quotes is that if you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. If dentistry is what you truly want to do, I think you should be able to set apart the time to try your hardest and focus on doing your best. In the end, nobody is perfect, so you see all of these high scores on SDN, but realize that humans are incredible creatures and your brain is your most valuable tool. If you don't think you can do something, you probably can't. If you KNOW you can do something and work your hardest, you will succeed. I guess what I'm trying to say is do your best. I believe anyone is capable of getting above a 20 AA, but you have to work for it. It won't come easy. With that, I'll just leave everyone with a good luck on your studying. I believe in you.
congratulations on your score! could you explain what you did/ how you would recommend to prepare for the quantitative section to get such a high score? What did you do to prepare for the quantitative section of the exam?