DAT Achiever -- 3D Explanations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecrown

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have used this guide, can you help feedback on how to best utilize the 3D animated solutions at the PAT sections? I found the questions much more challenging than rest of other guides and heard that many have scored above 20 for their PAT as a result of using this awesome program. I only got a 16 on the first PAT mock test and am hoping to drill my mental perception more thoroughly before deciding to attempt the other two tests. Any secrets/comments/insights shared will be greatly appreciated... thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought Kaplan is the only guide that gives you 3D explanations. Where do you get this software from?

LMav said:

Thanks for the link given. I've just downloaded the software and tested the DEMO. Wow! The 3D solutions are truly amazing. How on earth this promising program has not been widely known in the DAT circle? :mad: I've tried Kaplan and Topscore and have all of their PAT tests scored beyond 20 but am worried if these are true reflection of my ability to do the same on coming DAT. I will proceed to order "DAT Achiever" and feedback to you guys how I think about it. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
ecrown said:
For those who have used this guide, can you help feedback on how to best utilize the 3D animated solutions at the PAT sections? I found the questions much more challenging than rest of other guides and heard that many have scored above 20 for their PAT as a result of using this awesome program. I only got a 16 on the first PAT mock test and am hoping to drill my mental perception more thoroughly before deciding to attempt the other two tests. Any secrets/comments/insights shared will be greatly appreciated... thanks.

Here's what I have done:

Aperture Passing: Upon seeing the model, do not rotate it right away. Mentally figure out for yourself the three generic views (top, front, end so called). You may want to unshade the model and zoom it to the right dimension before rotating it to tally with what you have perceived.

Orthographic Projection: Right click on the drawing and click View -> Overview Window... to pop up that little tiny page housing the 12 views related to the answers first. Figure out what/why you have answered wrongly as you try to reveal these views by enlarging (resizing) the Overview Window. Only then you should begin to animate the drawing in "Continuous Play" mode. Do not pamper yourself with this advanced feature. As the model is being animated, challenge yourself what exact view should come next. Doing this will kill two birds with one stone as you're at the same time drilling yourself for the Aperture Passing section. A proven way to tell how well you have mastered Top/Front/End questions is to play the show manually in reverse mode. Try it out, it works one way to another.

Angle Ranking: I don't know why so many threads have been saying that angle ranking has been the toughest in the PAT. If PAT will one day be based on this section alone, you probably do not need any practice guide anymore. Everyone can ace the PAT easily then. There are at most 3-5 difficult questions in the actual test which can appreciably be overcome via elimination and intelligent/sensible guesses.

Paper Folding: Listen,,, there are many two hole punches and at least one three hole punch in the actual PAT. You should also take note of multiple 1/4 or 3/4 folds. Sometimes 1/8 fold too. Like angle ranking, they are also meant to form a bonus section if and only if you have been well prepared to handle them. You should position the solution window and move it such that the next image only appears right after you've mentally unfolded it one at a time. That should be the way to learn. Don't be spoon-fed.

Cubes: If you don't score full points here, you are automatically asking for trouble. Pay attention to missing cube and use the method as described by the guide. I supposed you should be fine with this.

Form Development: Again, before you rotate the model, can you tell what patterns lie on the hidden sides/parts?

Hope the above info help to a certain extent. I'm truly thankful to this guide that has made me score significantly higher than the national mean.

That's probably the most truthful reply I'will ever get from this thread. Gracia... gigit. BTW, does "gigit" mean biting in another language? :thumbup: :love:

Just taken my first set of PAT test from DAT Achiever and I'm humiliated with a comparitively low score of 17, :oops: in spite of getting a 20 from Kaplan, and 21-24 from Topscore. Haven't tried SNS, RCT, and QRT but heard that these have also been set to be tougher than the real exams. I'm seriously going over the PAT solutions now, and with the great input from gigit, this 3D tool is truly helping me acquire several other perceptive modes at greater speed and accuracy. I'll try if I may do better in subsequent tests and hopefully to get a competitive score on that.

Clipse said:
Has anyone else tried this software? What do ya'll think?

I just got it few days ago (so nice, no shipping required... and you get your License Key the same day you pay for it).

I've tried one test on the sciences and true enough questions are very challenging... good thing it has very detailed reporting tool telling me where I need to improve further.

I'm about to try the PAT test this week after going through what I've learnt from Barron, Kaplan, and Topscoreas as I don't want to abruptly waste these tests... I've heard so much about the complexities and difficulties in this section and am yet to experience them soon. Will get back to SDN again when I'm done with that. :luck:

Clipse said:
Has anyone else tried this software? What do ya'll think?

I can fully assure you that this will ever be the best PAT guide you are going to see in the pre-dental circle. RCT, SNS, QRT also form a set of close representations of the DAT. You'll learn alot from this guide through the solutions provided.

Yes, this is the software that has prepared me for the worst. Very cool 3D-pictures. :thumbup: :thumbup:

tresbon said:
I just got it few days ago (so nice, no shipping required... and you get your License Key the same day you pay for it).

I've tried one test on the sciences and true enough questions are very challenging... good thing it has very detailed reporting tool telling me where I need to improve further.

I'm about to try the PAT test this week after going through what I've learnt from Barron, Kaplan, and Topscoreas as I don't want to abruptly waste these tests... I've heard so much about the complexities and difficulties in this section and am yet to experience them soon. Will get back to SDN again when I'm done with that. :luck:

Just got my first PAT done ... and not bad, I got an 18. I have been told by the author that those able to get an 18/19 will eventually score 19-22 on the actual test day. I found that all sections of DAT Achiever Perceptual Test are alot harder than other test guides I've used except for Angle Ranking and Cubes (which are not a big deal to me as I've consistently been acing these two easy sections anyway). The 3D rotation has a lot more functions and features and seems to be much more flexibly maneuverable than Kaplan's "crippled" models.

My advice to you guys is go get this software and get yourself well prepared for the real DAT & PAT. :idea: :thumbup:

I need to retake my DAT and am glad to have learnt of DAT Achiever from the SDN. Just got it last week and was surprised to realize how close their questions and answers are compared to the real test I took. Some of the science and math questions seem like exact copies to the DAT. I wished I've got this software much earlier.

I already got a 19 for my PAT, but I think I've no reason not to score better than this in the next test, with a top-notch 3D aid, that's now readily provided to sharpen my perceptual ability a great step further.

gigit said:
Here's what I have done:

Paper Folding: Listen,,, there are many two hole punches and at least one three hole punch in the actual PAT. You should also take note of multiple 1/4 or 3/4 folds. Sometimes 1/8 fold too. Like angle ranking, they are also meant to form a bonus section if and only if you have been well prepared to handle them. You should position the solution window and move it such that the next image only appears right after you've mentally unfolded it one at a time.

Hope the above info help to a certain extent. I'm truly thankful to this guide that has made me score significantly higher than the national mean.

I think gigit must have overlooked what he meant by the standard folds. Conventional ones (horizontal/vertical/diagonal) no doubt pertain to 1/4 or 1/2 fold. 3/4 would easily go beyond the square boundary and hence violate the folding rule. I've seen 1/8 fold in the test and nothing that I can recall on 3/8. However, since 3/8 < 1/2, it can be one of the posiible ones.

The bottom line is: Be well prepared in this section of the test and get near to perfect score on it just like angle ranking and cubes. DAT Achiever has in this very respect fulfilled its purpose in getting you guys supposedly structured. You truly need these stringent practices to compensate for your lacks in the other three tougher ones. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering why people with 0+ posts are usually the best advocates of just ONE company...

dat_student said:
Wondering why people with 0+ posts are usually the best advocates of just ONE company...

It wouldn't bother me for as long as they're advocating for the right things...

Come on dat_student, how ready are you now to get a 30 for yor QRT? Interested in solving the following conceptual physics question using mathematical representation?

What will happen to the water level of a container having a piece of sizable ice partially floating there when the ice fully turns into water?

A. Water level drops
B. Water stays the same
C. Water level goes up

(Tips: Explain your answer using simultaneous equations.)

dat_student said:

All these people are the same, the owner of the software has created accounts with several different names and pimping his product. Personally I would not buy it, and I hope other predents are wise enough to discern what this guy has been trying to do.

tresbon, seoul, mac60, pcgirl, mitshi, dlink, gigit, ecrown and few other names are the same PERSON. DO NOT BE FOOLED INTO BUYING THIS JUNK SOFTWARE

mitshi said:
Come on dat_student, how ready are you now to get a 30 for yor QRT? Interested in solving the following conceptual physics question using mathematical representation?

Well, now I am claiming that I'll get single digit scores across the board (including QR).

mitshi said:
What will happen to the water level of a container having a piece of sizable ice partially floating there when the ice fully turns into water?

A. Water level drops
B. Water stays the same
C. Water level goes up

Water is an exception. It expands as it freezes. But because of buoyancy & lower density of ice I'd guess the water level stays the same. (assuming (1) the container isn't filled to the max. (2) there is no overflow (3) we have a rigid container).
side note: The real DAT won't have physics regardless of whether I want to get 30 or 1. :laugh: :laugh:

Blackstars said:
All these people are the same, the owner of the software has created accounts with several different names and pimping his product. Personally I would not buy it, and I hope other predents are wise enough to discern what this guy has been trying to do.

tresbon, seoul, mac60, pcgirl, mitshi, dlink, gigit, ecrown and few other names are the same PERSON. DO NOT BE FOOLED INTO BUYING THIS JUNK SOFTWARE

I wouldn't have responded to this post had my user-name not been included here.

Two weeks ago, Blackstars pm me to trade his DAT Professor with my DAT Achiever, but unfortunately I told him DAT Achiever can only be run from my computer. Apparently, he's not happy with what he couldn't get for "Free" and decided to bash unreasonably on this software. This is a terrible attitude and definitely undesirable in all walks of life.

I hope he'll not turn into a "black sheep" amidst his dental dream pursuit.

I've found DAT Achiever to be very helpful especially with the 3D stuff (this is the only guide that gives you the most comprehensive solutions). For those who want to try the DEMO of this software, click on the following link for your own perusal:

http://www.3tquest.com/page2.html

:thumbup: :love:

ecrown,
Thanks for helping us learn about "DAT Achiever" but do you think this is the best software? Do you recommend any other software (Kaplan, TopScore, etc.) or books?

:)
dat_student said:
ecrown,
Thanks for helping us learn about "DAT Achiever" but do you think this is the best software? Do you recommend any other software (Kaplan, TopScore, etc.) or books?

If I say yes to your first question, you will term me as an advocator for DAT Achiever. But if I say no, I cannot imagine how others are going to bash me on that...

DAT Achiever, Topscore, and Kaplan are all equally good in SNS and QRT, in my opinion. Questions from these softwares are challenging and they all come with good explanations. I would not comment much of RCT for them as I strongly feel this depends largely on the candidates themselves.

But since this thread dwells on 3D stuff for PAT, I'm just telling what I've seen and experienced from DAT Achiever. The only other software having partial 3D rotation is Kaplan, but I will not recommend it since I heard Kaplan's PAT questions, like Topscore's, are alot easier than the actual ones.

I hope the above impartial views help to a certain extent. :)

gigit said:
Form Development: Again, before you rotate the model, can you tell what patterns lie on the hidden sides/parts?

When turning/rotating a formed object at 180 deg, note the following fundamental rules:

Any pattern turned around the axis of rotation will turn into an inverted image; however,

the same pattern appearing on side(s) perpendicular to the axis of rotation will give rise to a complementary one.

Hey "guys", thanks for your input... I'll have to think abit more before buying the software...uhm... :idea:
NO! :smuggrin:

hsc2104 said:
Hey "guys", thanks for your input... I'll have to think abit more before buying the software...uhm... :idea:
NO! :smuggrin:

Too bad this thread is meant for those who have been using DAT Achiever & some who have at least seen its DEMO...

and certainly not for an idiot like hsc2104 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just a word of reminder to those weak in this section:

When folding a flat pattern into a cube (especially) with various picture/figure on each side, instead of "twisting your neck & eyes three times", simply do so by reversing it with just one 90 deg shift. This will not only save you time but will more accurately relate each side to another when you eventually need to rotate the completed model one or several steps further.