DAT bio trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

As many of you may know, DAT Bio isnt the most exciting to study. I'm sure this is material that we have all been learning and relearning since highschool, so I find it tough to sit down and relearn photosynthesis and cell division. Does anybody have tips on how to make this less tedious? It really isnt the difficulty of the material, but as many people have said in previous post, its just boring really. So far I have basically been following Ari's guide, reading the chapter on day one. On this day, it is basically the only thing for bio that I do. Then the next day, I go about rereading and taking detailed notes (usually 4-5 pages per chapter). I'll also look through Feralis and fill in gaps and sometimes look at youtube for fuzzy topics. I feel like I'm almost doing too much on day 2, or getting side tracked from it just being plain boring. I know it'd be better when I get to doing practice problems, but for now I feel like I need a new way to approach this section. Does anybody have any tips that they used/are using to get by easier? If this is the best way to approach it, then I am fine doing it, but I want a method that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out yet leads me to success.

Members don't see this ad.

"I want a method that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out yet leads me to success"

You're asking for a lot buddy! I can't remember the last time I enjoyed studying.

Reactions: 1 user
If you aren't aiming too high try crash course bio. It can only take you so far though

Members don't see this ad :)
As many of you may know, DAT Bio isnt the most exciting to study. I'm sure this is material that we have all been learning and relearning since highschool, so I find it tough to sit down and relearn photosynthesis and cell division. Does anybody have tips on how to make this less tedious? It really isnt the difficulty of the material, but as many people have said in previous post, its just boring really. So far I have basically been following Ari's guide, reading the chapter on day one. On this day, it is basically the only thing for bio that I do. Then the next day, I go about rereading and taking detailed notes (usually 4-5 pages per chapter). I'll also look through Feralis and fill in gaps and sometimes look at youtube for fuzzy topics. I feel like I'm almost doing too much on day 2, or getting side tracked from it just being plain boring. I know it'd be better when I get to doing practice problems, but for now I feel like I need a new way to approach this section. Does anybody have any tips that they used/are using to get by easier? If this is the best way to approach it, then I am fine doing it, but I want a method that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out yet leads me to success.

Idk man bio is very tedious. Something you just need to plow through. As dental school basic sci education is essentially just memorization of bio stuff, this will prepare you for that.

I think the aim of this post is off. I know that I can't just skip bio because it's boring. Rather, I was asking if anybody had a method that they used to help them study for bio. I'm not looking for an easy way out, just looking for help just as somebody would ask for help on study methods for ochem or biochem in regular classes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did destroyer 2017 bio section and tried to memorize as much as I could from the explanations... did it in 3 weeks and got a 24 on the bio section. If you have a decent bio background, then you could do what I done.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel you haha - taking notes takes a long time for me.

I went straight to Destroyer after a basic understanding and am using that to fill in the gaps on high yield bio topics

I feel you haha - taking notes takes a long time for me.

I went straight to Destroyer after a basic understanding and am using that to fill in the gaps on high yield bio topics

I did destroyer 2017 bio section and tried to memorize as much as I could from the explanations... did it in 3 weeks and got a 24 on the bio section. If you have a decent bio background, then you could do what I done.

I think I'll do this. I've always kinda been able to easily understand biology so I'll just get a base line on stuff I haven't touched in a while and see how I stack up against destroyer. Did you just make notecards about what you didn't get right in bio or what?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You can do notecards. I summarized the explanation for every question I got wrong or wasn't completely sure on.

Reactions: 1 users
I decided to stick with videos and read notes afterward. I just find cliff book too boring to read during the review session.
Then destroyer later.

Ahh the infamous Biology section on the DAT. Some questions will be so random that there is so much preparation you can do. I would just straight up read the Feralis Bio Outline several times over a span of two weeks. I memorized most of the details like any other Biology undergraduate class. Memorization is not only key for some sections in the DAT, but also most of the classes in dental school. I don't want to scare you, but you need to focus on your memorization skills and strategies.