DAT Breakdown: 3/11/16

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OntheCusp2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have really benefitted from the posts of other predents sharing their experiences over the past few months. I finished the DAT today with this breakdown:
AA: 22
TS: 22
Bio:25
GC:24
OC:20
PAT: 24
RC: 23
QR: 20

cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.9
Major: Classics

Materials: Bootcamp, Chads, Destroyer. For extra help: Dat Genius, KBB, Crack Dat Pat tests.

I believe that creating a great plan is almost as important as carrying out the plan. To that end, I researched these forums extensively at the end of 2015 to find out what the top performers were doing to prepare for the test. The gist of what I saw was this: a lot of the folks who were doing really well we're using some amalgam of Bootcamp, Chads, and Destroyer as their three primary resources. Some mention of Achiever, Top Score, Crack Dat, Genius, Kaplan, Princeton Review, but these other resources seemed to be on the periphery or not even in the picture of the top performers' strategy.

Based on this, I decided to use Ari's ten week schedule, which uses destroyer, chads, and the bootcamp software. Before starting the ten week schedule, I wanted to get the basics of the test down, so during winter break I read through kbb and did the ten crack dat pat tests. By now I at least had a familiarity with the material.

I started the Bootcamp schedule January 1st. The Bootcamp schedule is ten weeks long and is broken into two phases. I followed the first phase of content review religiously. I really enjoyed this phase, because it relies heavily on Chad's videos. And what everyone says is true: Chad is awesome--you feel like he is your good friend by the end. The second phase I struggled to keep up with, because I had physics and organic chemistry with labs, work, and volunteering competing for my time.

During Phase two, I really benefitted from Destroyer, by Dr. Romano. These materials are great. The Bootcamp schedule has you go through Destroyer twice, which is important, and the explanations to the questions are very valuable. When Dr. Romano says memorize something, memorize it. What everyone says is true: Destroyer is harder than the real thing, and most of the Bootcamp materials seemed on par with or slightly harder than the actual test, which is great, because it is like swinging with a batting weight on. I never scored better than 20 on a bootcamp PAT or even finished one in an hour, but scored a 24 today and felt confident in about 95% of the problems, finishing with thirty seconds to go.

My Ochem was a bit low, but that has nothing to do with the above three resources or my phenomenal Orgo professor; I will take the third quarter in the spring, so I was a bit weak on carbonyl chem, even though I work in the orgo lab.

I decided to take the test in March, even though I had not finished Ochem, because I want to be able to apply early, and I want to be able to give my scores to my letter writers. Plus, it is a huge relief to have this challenge behind me. I contemplated postponing for two weeks to take care of finals, but after taking the 2009 paper test, recommended by Ari, I decided to stick to the plan. The way the 2009 went was this: by the end it felt like that point in the movie where they say, "it seems quiet, too quiet." I kept waiting for it to get as hard as my study materials, but that time never came. All 2009 sections were very similar to today's score, but a little lower than how I performed today. Like Ari says, this is a good indicator for judging your readiness.

Lastly, I want to share my opinion about why I liked Bootcamp, Chads, and Destroyer so much: all three are very reasonably priced, slightly harder than the real test without being demoralizingly hard, and then there is a transparent element to all three that makes them very likable. Ari does a lot of really cool things with the SDN community, like answer questions on here and pick students of the month, and he brings in people to talk about essays, and is constantly making his website better, by adding generators, full tests, trainer games, daily questions, videos from experts, blog posts, etc. Likewise, Dr. Romano and Nancy post on here quite a bit, and seem to have their pulse on what's actually on the test. Same with Chad: he clearly tells you everything you need to know and nothing you don't, and inlcudes great quizzes to do after each video.

In all three cases, the materials are clearly made by intelligent, hardworking people who enjoy enabling students to succeed on this significant, and challenging test. Thanks to all three and to the other students who posted their experiences and helpful wisdom on here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Wow good job! I hope to get the same scores soon too :O What were your BC scores for each section (if you still remember them)?

Congrats! It must feel so good to be done with the DAT! I am currently following Aris 10 week schedule and was wondering if you could go back what would you have done differently with your schedule and how you studied?

Hey Gaucho and SDDAT, thanks! One of my many weaknesses is organization/record keeping--you should see how sloppy my notes at school are :(, so I didn't write down my scores from each bootcamp section, but I can remember that 0n my first run through bio, I was at 20 +- 1. All my PATs were 19 or 20. My chem and OC were between 18 and 21. My RCs were terrible, sometimes 17 or 18, until I got my strategy down (Ari's vanilla method) then I got a 20 on the last one. The QRs were all around 19/20.

When I took the full lengths that Ari provides, I did really well on the bio, chem, ochem, because I'd already taken those tests before (I imagine that eventually, Ari will provide separate, unique tests for the five full lengths, so that students are not retaking sections they have seen before--but that is a pretty big undertaking, especially since he is a student as well and probably quite quite busy.)

If you take the 2009 paper test 1 week before your scheduled date, and you do really well (plus 20 in all sections) then you should be feeling realllly good. If the 2009 seems pretty hard, and you are missing a lot on it, then I would echo the wisdom of others: postpone three weeks. Great luck to you both!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Amazing scores, I'm taking mine and did reschedule it from 14th of march to 25th of april. Hopefully I can get the scores you have as my oGPA is 3.42, and sGPA is 3.1-3.2.

Any recommendations for the remaining weeks?

Amazing scores, I'm taking mine and did reschedule it from 14th of march to 25th of april. Hopefully I can get the scores you have as my oGPA is 3.42, and sGPA is 3.1-3.2.

Any recommendations for the remaining weeks?

Hey Aamiracle. I would be happy to give you some suggestions...What have you done so far to prepare? My three favorite resources are bootcamp, chads, and destroyer. If you can get 9 out of 10 correct in destroyer, 9'outnof ten correct on chads quizes, and can get good consistent scores on bootcamps tests, you will be very nearly there! What do you feel like are your biggest weaknesses right now?

Very nice, you have a lot of incredible scores! It's always impressive when someone scores well on the OC section without finishing the classes, it shows you're a very dedicated student. Thanks for the detailed breakdown too. Congratulations on your success!

Hello all,
I have really benefitted from the posts of other predents sharing their experiences over the past few months. I finished the DAT today with this breakdown:
AA: 22
TS: 22
Bio:25
GC:24
OC:20
PAT: 24
RC: 23
QR: 20

cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.9
Major: Classics

Materials: Bootcamp, Chads, Destroyer. For extra help: Dat Genius, KBB, Crack Dat Pat tests.

I believe that creating a great plan is almost as important as carrying out the plan. To that end, I researched these forums extensively at the end of 2015 to find out what the top performers were doing to prepare for the test. The gist of what I saw was this: a lot of the folks who were doing really well we're using some amalgam of Bootcamp, Chads, and Destroyer as their three primary resources. Some mention of Achiever, Top Score, Crack Dat, Genius, Kaplan, Princeton Review, but these other resources seemed to be on the periphery or not even in the picture of the top performers' strategy.

Based on this, I decided to use Ari's ten week schedule, which uses destroyer, chads, and the bootcamp software. Before starting the ten week schedule, I wanted to get the basics of the test down, so during winter break I read through kbb and did the ten crack dat pat tests. By now I at least had a familiarity with the material.

I started the Bootcamp schedule January 1st. The Bootcamp schedule is ten weeks long and is broken into two phases. I followed the first phase of content review religiously. I really enjoyed this phase, because it relies heavily on Chad's videos. And what everyone says is true: Chad is awesome--you feel like he is your good friend by the end. The second phase I struggled to keep up with, because I had physics and organic chemistry with labs, work, and volunteering competing for my time.

During Phase two, I really benefitted from Destroyer, by Dr. Romano. These materials are great. The Bootcamp schedule has you go through Destroyer twice, which is important, and the explanations to the questions are very valuable. When Dr. Romano says memorize something, memorize it. What everyone says is true: Destroyer is harder than the real thing, and most of the Bootcamp materials seemed on par with or slightly harder than the actual test, which is great, because it is like swinging with a batting weight on. I never scored better than 20 on a bootcamp PAT or even finished one in an hour, but scored a 24 today and felt confident in about 95% of the problems, finishing with thirty seconds to go.

My Ochem was a bit low, but that has nothing to do with the above three resources or my phenomenal Orgo professor; I will take the third quarter in the spring, so I was a bit weak on carbonyl chem, even though I work in the orgo lab.

I decided to take the test in March, even though I had not finished Ochem, because I want to be able to apply early, and I want to be able to give my scores to my letter writers. Plus, it is a huge relief to have this challenge behind me. I contemplated postponing for two weeks to take care of finals, but after taking the 2009 paper test, recommended by Ari, I decided to stick to the plan. The way the 2009 went was this: by the end it felt like that point in the movie where they say, "it seems quiet, too quiet." I kept waiting for it to get as hard as my study materials, but that time never came. All 2009 sections were very similar to today's score, but a little lower than how I performed today. Like Ari says, this is a good indicator for judging your readiness.

Lastly, I want to share my opinion about why I liked Bootcamp, Chads, and Destroyer so much: all three are very reasonably priced, slightly harder than the real test without being demoralizingly hard, and then there is a transparent element to all three that makes them very likable. Ari does a lot of really cool things with the SDN community, like answer questions on here and pick students of the month, and he brings in people to talk about essays, and is constantly making his website better, by adding generators, full tests, trainer games, daily questions, videos from experts, blog posts, etc. Likewise, Dr. Romano and Nancy post on here quite a bit, and seem to have their pulse on what's actually on the test. Same with Chad: he clearly tells you everything you need to know and nothing you don't, and inlcudes great quizzes to do after each video.

In all three cases, the materials are clearly made by intelligent, hardworking people who enjoy enabling students to succeed on this significant, and challenging test. Thanks to all three and to the other students who posted their experiences and helpful wisdom on here.

OntheCusp2016,

Congratulations! You Destroyed the DAT Beast! We love the 25 in BIO, that is a very challenging section for a lot of students because it covers a wide variety of topics and there are so many different versions of the DAT..not all DAT test are created equal, that's a fact.

Your hard work paid off and your great GPA proves you are a hard working student and dental schools will take notice

Be prepared for a lot of interviews to becoming your way.

Thank you for the VERY detailed breakdown and we are very delighted we were a part of your DAT toolbox that helped you achieve you goal.

Wishing you the very best in your journey to becoming a dentist.

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Hey Aamiracle. I would be happy to give you some suggestions...What have you done so far to prepare? My three favorite resources are bootcamp, chads, and destroyer. If you can get 9 out of 10 correct in destroyer, 9'outnof ten correct on chads quizes, and can get good consistent scores on bootcamps tests, you will be very nearly there! What do you feel like are your biggest weaknesses right now?

I've consistently watched Chad videos, since January, and rewatch them as I do forget some of the small details. Currently finishing up Gen chem videos and going to revisit QR as math is my weak subject. I get about 8/10 on his quizzes.

I have been going through destroyer, so far I've done half the orgo, half the Gen chem, and half the bio. although I'm not getting 9/10 of them right, more like 5/10, or less, I do understand most of my mistakes and highlight the hard questions so I can review them later on. Plan to have them all done exactly a month before my test, so I can review them again one more time before test.

Bootcamp is a resource I have but just haven't utilized to the max yet, I'm down to about 5 weeks till my test, on top of my 40 hour work week, I was going to use BC individual tests and practice tests weekly. Once I reviewed all materials thoroughly.

I manage to study 5 days of the week, some long hours some broken up.

Besides what plan I have set, do you stress anythin additional or less? I have to start math destroyer and the QR section of math still too, but it's my weak subject and I forget it so easily reason I held off till semi last minute to keep it fresh in my head.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I've consistently watched Chad videos, since January, and rewatch them as I do forget some of the small details. Currently finishing up Gen chem videos and going to revisit QR as math is my weak subject. I get about 8/10 on his quizzes.

I have been going through destroyer, so far I've done half the orgo, half the Gen chem, and half the bio. although I'm not getting 9/10 of them right, more like 5/10, or less, I do understand most of my mistakes and highlight the hard questions so I can review them later on. Plan to have them all done exactly a month before my test, so I can review them again one more time before test.

Bootcamp is a resource I have but just haven't utilized to the max yet, I'm down to about 5 weeks till my test, on top of my 40 hour work week, I was going to use BC individual tests and practice tests weekly. Once I reviewed all materials thoroughly.

Besides what plan I have set, do you stress anythin additional or less? I have to start math destroyer and the QR section of math still too, but it's my weak subject and I forget it so easily reason I held off till semi last minute to keep it fresh in my head.

Hey Aamiracle,
With about four weeks left, the bootcamp schedule would have you in a testing mode with the purpose of locating and taking care of weaknesses. I think if you are testing each section for 30 mins to an hour per day using bootcamp and destroyer, you will be on track, but getting others' opinions would be good too. You probably know this, but most of the value of bootcamp and destroyer is in the explanations, video and written, to the problems you miss. Good luck, you got this!

Hey Aamiracle,
With about four weeks left, the bootcamp schedule would have you in a testing mode with the purpose of locating and taking care of weaknesses. I think if you are testing each section for 30 mins to an hour per day using bootcamp and destroyer, you will be on track, but getting others' opinions would be good too. You probably know this, but most of the value of bootcamp and destroyer is in the explanations, video and written, to the problems you miss. Good luck, you got this!

Yeah, at this point I see myself just having some long nights to keep up with the material and keep re-learning what I forget. I haven't even hit a practice test yet nor gone through EVERYTHING in detail (bio being dense, math just being my subject of hate haha), but I do tend to get more serious with studying whenever the test gets closer, so hopefully it's enough time! Wish I could quit my job for a month even haha, but I appreciate the advice, thank you.

Chad is all our friend agreed. Also thanks for the breakdown, these are my sole motivation recently, thanks for reporting back

Good Luck DAT Cram! Chad is great, it is still amazing to me how a great video can reach and help so many people.