DAT BREAKDOWN...low PAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rckb88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently took my test and I am pretty happy with my scores but a little worried that my PAT score is too low. I didn't really study for the PAT section but I am scared to retake and risk dropping my other scores.

PAT-19....too low?
QR-21.....forgot I left 2 questions blank so I'm mad about that
RC-19
Bio-20
GC-19
OC-20

TS-19
AA-20

After studying for about 6 weeks I found that the BEST resource out there is DAT BOOTCAMP! It has practice tests that are completely representative of the actual DAT. Also, the 2009 DAT online was extremely helpful (except the QR on 2009 was a lot harder I got a 17 on that and a 21 on the real thing). For gen. chem and organic all you need is CHADS! Literally the best way to learn all you need to know for the test. I watched all of the videos twice and did the quizzes after each one. I started out by using Kaplan online and the Kaplan books and it didn't help at all! Huge waste of money. All in all, just study hard and take as many practice tests as possible. It is completely worth the few weeks or months of studying and being anti social for the feeling of relief after you get your scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Your AA and TS scores are about average for many schools, as is your PAT. If you feel like you can score higher with another 1-2 months of studying, and you can afford it, then by all means retake. Getting an extra 2-3 answers correct in each section could boost your AA and TS to 22, and I'm sure your PAT would increase with more practice. However, even with the 19 PAT, as long as your GPA is solid and you apply broadly you should get at least a few interviews.

my gpa is a 3.75 and a 3.68 science gpa 250 volunteer and 200 shadowing hours do you think that will help?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 17 on PAT and got into a school whose average is a 19, near 20

You have good scores on everything.
Don't retake, IMO.

Like you have a solid GPA to back the DAT, and your DAT is good.
I also had a 20AA, and 19TS.

I think you will be okay, honestly.

A lot of schools don't value PAT as highly as AA, but 19 PAT isn't bad, but average. 20 AA falls in 80-85% range, and your GPA is great. I don't think you have anything to worry about! Your volunteering and shadowing are pretty good too. Make sure you have some other decent EC's, good LoR, and ace those interviews and you're golden.