DAT Breakdown!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForUs_J&S

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got home from staying out with a few friends after finishing my exam. Celebrating (aka dinner and coffee) was obligatory after some gruesome weeks.

Scores
PAT 19:shrug:
QR 21
RC 18 :bang:
BIO 23:rofl:
GC 21
OC 21
TS 22
AA 21

I began "studying" a few months ago but only ramped up the past 8 or so weeks. I honestly had a harder time than I imagined studying because of my job commitment. I have unpredictable hours which gave me anywhere from 0-4 hours of study time per day so I often had to rejumble my study schedule. Nevertheless, I am glad I can relax a bit now.

I used the usual - Chad's videos, Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Cliffs, Feralis, Bootcamp.
I'll start with GC because that is where I started to panic for the remainder of the test. :boom:

GC
I used Chad's videos and quizzes which are amazing. Bootcamp was good practice as well since the question types were similar. I went through Destroyer once. I planned to go through it twice but I ran out of time.

I had did not know how to do at least 5 of the first 15 questions which caused me to panic. There were several acid base questions that I had no idea what to do and ended up guessing. I'm sure I learned the concepts somewhere but I just had no idea where to start on solving these questions. These questions killed my morale and I think it really affected me for the rest of the test. I had to keep telling myself "just keep going hard so I can make up for the GC score" while going through the other sections.

Nevertheless, I somehow ended up with a 21, so my biggest regret is not being able to control myself after being thrown off. So, my biggest piece of advice is to just keep going because you never know. I was hoping for a higher score because I better on my BC exams.

PAT
I only used Bootcamp. I expected at least a 20 because my lowest BC score was a 19 and the consensus was that the real exam was easier. The keyhole was definitely easier but I ran out of time and had to guess the entire angles and a few questions on pattern and TFE. My internal panic attack from GC definitely affected me here.

Compared to BC, the questions are similar. I think getting profient in BC will prepare you well.

QR
I did 5 Math Destroyer exams and the first 40 questions in the DAT Destroyer. I also memorized the formulas in Math Destroyer this morning. I was always decent at math and got decent scores in BC so I didn't worry too much. I think that if you can get the "easy" ones right, you can score well. This section wasn't bad at all. I did guess a handful of questions because time was running down and I wanted to ensure I got all the "easy" ones right.

RC
Also, scored ~20 in BC so I don't know what happened. Again, my GC freakout killed me here. There isn't much else to say except that it's very similar to BC. I think the real exam passages were shorter though. I may be wrong but it seemed that way.

Bio
This was the section I worried about the most. I took intro GC over 4 years ago and OC over 3 years ago, so I spent more time studying them. As a result, I wasn't able to put in much time into Bio. Although I had taken upper level bio courses (which helped for some questions) in my last few years of school, I took intro bio in high school. However, skimming through Feralis brought back concepts quickly. I read through Cliffs once and skimmed through Feralis once. I found the Bio part surprisingly straightforward since I was scorings 18s in BC

OC
Chad's again. I also did Destroyer 1.5 times and did BC. I honestly think that's more than enough. Again, GC killed me here. I spent 40 minutes on Gen Chem so I rushed through OC in 20 mins. The questions themselves were just like BC. There isn't much more to say. I had 1 very funky question that wasn't covered in any materials. I averaged mid 20s in BC.

My personal lesson - Manage your time. This is common sense but when the real exam comes, you get nervous and you sometimes don't perform the same way you do at home. I had timing issues in PAT and RC at home but it was far worse during the exam. I also spent too much time doing GC (40 mins) which left me 20 min to rush through OC.

Don't panic if you see a few questions you don't know how to do. A few questions aren't going to kill your score, especially if you can eliminate some answer choices. Even if you have to guess, you have a dozen more questions to get right. My panic during the GC cost me big time and I am kicking myself in the foot about it. I feel like I could have score a few points higher in some sections if only I remained calm.

My question - How do the sub 20 scores in RC and PAT affect me? Do I need to retake the exam? I really don't want to but if I have to, what can I say? I'm going to consult my advisor but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores are pretty solid, nice job! Do you still have your BC practice scores for each section? Your jump from 18s in BC bio to 23 on the DAT is really unusual, did you feel like BC bio was a lot harder in general?

Congrats! Feels good to be done doesn't it?

So, my biggest piece of advice is to just keep going because you never know.

100% agree with this- my morale crashed after PAT- I thought I'd get like a 12 on it, but I ended up doing just fine and it was staying calm and forgetting about it that helped me do well on RC and QR.

To anyone reading this who has yet to take the DAT, internalize that advice in the quotes.

Scores
PAT 19:shrug:
QR 21
RC 18 :bang:
BIO 23:rofl:
GC 21
OC 21
TS 22
AA 21

My question - How do the sub 20 scores in RC and PAT affect me? Do I need to retake the exam? I really don't want to but if I have to, what can I say? I'm going to consult my advisor but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

IMHO, the PAT is fine, but the RC is not doing you any favors if you want to be a very competitive applicant. Dental schools look closely at RC because you're going to do a lot of reading in D1/D2 and you'll need to be able to process and internalize that information rapidly. However, considering that you did well in the other sections (great Bio btw :)), I think that, in addition to speaking with your advisor, you should contact a few of your top choices in dental schools and ask them about your situation. They may be fine with you not retaking.

Do you still have your BC practice scores for each section? Your jump from 18s in BC bio to 23 on the DAT is really unusual, did you feel like BC bio was a lot harder in general?

I had a +7.6 jump from my average BC Bio score to the real thing. But a key thing is- I learned a lot of content from the BC Bio that I didn't know before taking those practice exams...so if I were to retake the BC Bio exams now, I'd have done much better on them.

Moral of the story: BC Bio is very representative of the real thing, but if you drill the ones you got wrong and continue to expand your knowledge, you'll do much better than you did on BC Bio simply because you know more.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDDDAT - I retook each of them a couple of times. The first time around I got 18s and 19s. Second time around, I scored a bit higher. Questions about plants and physiology affected my scores.

I really think you need some luck on your hand since my two weakest parts - physiology and plants - were easy or nonexistent on the exam. When I "read" Feralis and Cliffs, I only skimmed it once. I'm sure my classes helped but the actual questions were easy. For example, I had nothing about plants (thank god), I had 2 diversity questions which were pretty common sense, and a handful of physiology questions that asked simple definitions. I did get a 23 on the 2009 ADA exam though.

embrojam - It's hard to not get myself down about it. Thanks for the advice.

Incis0r - Yes. I put in 100 hours of work and studying these two past weeks. Feels nice to sleep in :D. Studying for this exam was alot more challenging than I thought. Nothing to underestimate. Yes, I will speak to my advisor. I am praying that I don't have to retake this lol

Congrats! Feels good to be done doesn't it?

I had a +7.6 jump from my average BC Bio score to the real thing. But a key thing is- I learned a lot of content from the BC Bio that I didn't know before taking those practice exams...so if I were to retake the BC Bio exams now, I'd have done much better on them.

Moral of the story: BC Bio is very representative of the real thing, but if you drill the ones you got wrong and continue to expand your knowledge, you'll do much better than you did on BC Bio simply because you know more.

Very dependent on the version you get. My bootcamp avg bio score and ochem was 2-3 points higher than my actual, and some of my other sections were 2-3 points lower on BC than the actual test. I still scored extremely well but just wanted to let yall know that the "bc being representative" or easier than the test is not always true.

Hello ForUs_J&S, congrats on your scores! You did great. I had a question about the exam if you don't mind helping me out. I really suck at math and found out that DAT Bootcamp improved their QR section and have 10 new tests they uploaded on there a few weeks/months ago. How similar would you say they were to the actual exam? Do you think if you just practiced those questions, you can do well on the exam?

I did 3 or 4 BC tests and got 19s in all of them so I can't comment on BC. I think I got ~35 right in most of them. However, I didn't even review these exams. I would have but I didn't have time. Also, the threads around here recommended Math Destroyer over all of them. Lastly, I didn't think BC tests were overkill. Slightly more difficult but nothing crazy.

I think that the DAT Destroyer QR is most representative. I would also just know how to do combined work problems and probability which I recall from the first few Math Destroyer tests. Also, just know the basic geometric formulas and trig formulas. I didn't get any complicated ones but it will definitely help just to be able to memorize and plug and chug.

To be safe, I would do the Math Destroyer. It'll cover everything in DAT Destroyer and more so you'll secure a score.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a 16 on QR lol and I didn't have to retake! my reading was a 22, and my TS and AA were close to yours 23 and 21 respectively, you shouldn't need to retake, sometimes I've heard certain schools care about the reading score, so if anything, just do your research before sending out your apps is all! great job :) and enjoy the upcoming cycle, personally, I was excited once the test was over, and just looked forward to going on interviews! you're on your way :D