DAT Done. Advice please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnk024

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got done with the DAT and definitely felt like I did better than what I got. My sciGPA:3.1 and overall: 3.35. Not a great GPA so I def wanted to kill the DAT but clearly didnt. I'm thinking I should definitely retake but would like some input/advice. Thanks.

PA:19
QR:17
RC:18
Bio:18
GC:20
OC:19
TS:19
AA:18

Members don't see this ad.

You got an average DAT score with low GPA. Chances are you might get in if you apply to 20 schools who accepts low gpa. However, that's a gamble. Since you have whole summer left, just retake it and try to get 21, specially in science sections. Show dental schools that you're good at sciences. You have to do this because of your low science gpa.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

How did you study for the exam and how long? those are not bad scores at all but to increase your chances of getting in I would retake!

I studied for about 2 months but I have 2 jobs- 1 full time on the weekdays then another on weekend nights. I decided to quit my weekend job about 3 weeks ago and dedicate my weekends for studying. I felt quite prepared but I guess I wasn't. I know I have to retake it but should I even bother applying this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the generally rule of thumb is not to re-take unless you 100% sure you can score better. Some schools take the highest DAT you've scored, some take the average of your scores, but I believer the majority take the most recent one (double check with your ADEA guide if you have it).

Did you take Achiever or Topscore or ADA 2009? Typically you can predict what you'll score on the real thing based off those things.

I took 3 Acheivers. Got an avg14-15 on the first then 16-18s on the 2 others. And I'm sure if I take it again I'll do better. Do I have a chance of getting in anywhere this cycle? Or would it be a waste to apply?

You can definitely get in with those scores. The only thing that can realistic lower your chances is you GPA. However put your application in right away and just be prepared to retake. August is not late at all if you bang out a really good score this time around. Just put your application in right away and tell dental schools your retaking your exam in August. I had 3 or more friends last year take there DATs in late August, actually a friend of mine took hers in October and believe it or not, she got into NYU for this fall. So take a week off, regroup, and start studying again next week. Learn from your mistakes, and now you know what kind of questions they will ask so your definitely going to do well. I'm also retaking the exam this summer and hopefully God willing all of us do well. Good luck.

Your GPA is very low and your DAT is low. Personally, with your GPA, you need at least a 21 in AA and TS to have a realistic chance this cycle. Other people will tell you to apply with your current scores. Yes, you may have a very very very slim chance to get in. If you're good at math, don't bet on it :)

Agreed. If you think you might "eek" your way in, you probably won't get in.

Your GPA is very low and your DAT is low. Personally, with your GPA, you need at least a 21 in AA and TS to have a realistic chance this cycle. Other people will tell you to apply with your current scores. Yes, you may have a very very very slim chance to get in. If you're good at math, don't bet on it :)

LOL, when is 3.35 a very very very low GPA? I don't understand some of the responses that people make...

Look at the username.. Nikon D600, lol.. Really? Do I smell a troll?

3.35 is not a VERY low GPA, whichever way you look at it.
It may be average, but nowhere near VERY LOW.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep.
Extreeeeeeemely.

Ill let you go on with your thoughts, instead of arguing about it.

babowc, I understand why you are so sensitive. Just checked out your posts on SDN. Well, I think you'll have to retake that DAT too.

I am actually in the midst of studying it. I'm glad you're creeping on me, though. That's a great response to put me over the edge;)

It's not the fact that I'm sensitive, it's your idea of 3.35 being "very low". 3.35 is average. Period.

Your almighty greatness, do you have a 4.0 with 25 acceptances line up? You're so great! Now I'm really done with you.

P.S. that dream camera of yours... You sure do have small goals in life;), considering it's an entry FX body dumbed down on features.. I shoot 800s for the studio:)

It's not the fact that I'm sensitive, it's your idea of 3.35 being "very low". 3.35 is average. Period.

3.35 oGPA is not average. It's below average. ---> http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=998464

And while qualifiers like "very" are inherently subjective, I would argue that 3.1 sGPA is very low.

OP: You could spend thousands of dollars and cast lines all over the place, maybe you'll get a bite or two. If you're looking for advice, though, I think you should take a year to do the following - retake DAT if you think you can improve, take more bio classes to boost GPA, then throw your name in the hat for the 2014 cycle.

Last edited:
3.35 oGPA is not average. It's below average. ---> http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=998464

And while qualifiers like "very" are inherently subjective, I would argue that 3.1 sGPA is very low.

OP: You could spend thousands of dollars and cast lines all over the place, maybe you'll get a bite or two. If you're looking for advice, though, I think you should take a year to do the following - retake DAT if you think you can improve, take more bio classes to boost GPA, then throw your name in the hat for the 2014 cycle.

:thumbup:

Just got done with the DAT and definitely felt like I did better than what I got. My sciGPA:3.1 and overall: 3.35. .

PA:19
QR:17
RC:18
Bio:18
GC:20
OC:19
TS:19
AA:18

Dont put yourself down on the GPA. I had a sci GPA:3.21 and oGPA 3.35 with a DAT AA: 19 and PAT: 16 and got 2 interviews 2013. I'm reapplying and retaking the DAT. You need to retake to get 20+ in all sections to make up for the GPA

You have a shot, you can do it. I worked my butt off this past year and raised my sGPA:3.45 and oGPA 3.47 the only thing I'm doing is planning on working towards killing the DAT this summer. With better stats, you have a better shot.

One thing I've learned from Dental School interviewers is that the only thing that matters: GPA and DAT.

Dont put yourself down on the GPA. I had a sci GPA:3.21 and oGPA 3.35 with a DAT AA: 19 and PAT: 16 and got 2 interviews 2013. I'm reapplying and retaking the DAT. You need to retake to get 20+ in all sections to make up for the GPA

You have a shot, you can do it. I worked my butt off this past year and raised my sGPA:3.45 and oGPA 3.47 the only thing I'm doing is planning on working towards killing the DAT this summer. With better stats, you have a better shot.

One thing I've learned from Dental School interviewers is that the only thing that matters: GPA and DAT.

.. What terrible advice! If you've no volunteering hours or a decent/solid letter of rec, what makes you think they'll consider?

.. What terrible advice! If you've no volunteering hours or a decent/solid letter of rec, what makes you think they'll consider?

I think what he meant was yea sure volunteering, shadowing, ECs, LORs of course matter, no one can say they don't. But you do have to admit that GPA and DAT are the first door your application will go through when ADCOMs look at it. If you've done bad in those two, you're pretty much screwed =\

But anyway I agree with pretty much everyone else. 20+ on DAT and you should be fine.

I think what he meant was yea sure volunteering, shadowing, ECs, LORs of course matter, no one can say they don't. But you do have to admit that GPA and DAT are the first door your application will go through when ADCOMs look at it. If you've done bad in those two, you're pretty much screwed =\

But anyway I agree with pretty much everyone else. 20+ on DAT and you should be fine.

THANK YOU! That is exactly what I meant.

Everything else is in fact secondary...GPA and DAT are what give you a better opportunity for interviews and really matter to get schools to look at you. They need to know that you will be able to handle courses and do well in their school

Shadowing is obviously required since Dental school require a LOR from a dentist..So thats a no-brainer. Volunteering is important, but face it if you have 200 hours of volunteering and have an okay GPA and DAT, do you really think that they're gonna interview you based on that and all of the other good things you have done? DAT and GPA get schools interested...

I'm not trying to give horrible advice, just my personal experience and inspire to do well on the DAT since thats what can be changed dramatically before reapplying