DAT done!! Need to retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBJ28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took my DAT and received a 18 AA
My concern/question is if I need to retake the DAT

My GPA is 3.56 and I have a ton of EC stuff and LOE is pretty solid.

After some research I see most schools average is an 18.

Do I have a chance to get in with these scores/credentials?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, not trying to sound needy or be annoying, but how big of a chance? lol
Is it a pretty good chance with these scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
The national avg: about a 3.55 gpa and 19.8 dat...so you have a slightly below avg chance. By applying to more than say 12 schools you should have a reasonable chance, so your overall chances may be higher or lower depending on how many schools you applied to.

Sorry, not trying to sound needy or be annoying, but how big of a chance? lol
Is it a pretty good chance with these scores?

To be brutally honest, your chances are not very good. You're going to want a much higher AA given the recent upward trend among enrollees and not just linger at the average. Your GPA is also average, you should try to compensate that with a higher DAT score. Aim for 22+

To be brutally honest, your chances are not very good. You're going to want a much higher AA given the recent upward trend among enrollees and not just linger at the average. Your GPA is also average, you should try to compensate that with a higher DAT score. Aim for 22+

You do not by any means need a 22+! more like a 20+. Obviously shoot for a 30 but the idea that you would need to score in the 97+ percentile to "make up" for a 3.56 doesn't make sense.

What do individual scores look like?

PA 17
QR 17
RC 18
BIO 16
GC 18
OC 19
TS 17
AA 18

My biggest obstacle wasn't content, it was time! I seriously had to rush a good amount on couple sections just because of time was dwindling down. Thats not an excuse, I should have prepared better.

PA 17
QR 17
RC 18
BIO 16
GC 18
OC 19
TS 17
AA 18

My biggest obstacle wasn't content, it was time! I seriously had to rush a good amount on couple sections just because of time was dwindling down. Thats not an excuse, I should have prepared better.

That 16 in bio will probably hurt you :( It probably isn't impossible to get in with those scores but it sounds like you might have been unprepared and could easily bring those scores up with the proper study plan. If you think you can do better, you should probably retake.

Don't get too down, I got an 18 my first time too. Take some practice tests to work on speeding up. Chad's videos also give a lot of shortcuts to simplify math and formulas and stuff for chemistry so you can do more in your head more quickly.

Good luck

Hmmm. That Bio score might be a problem. Are you applying this cycle? I think you do have a chance as long as you apply to the easier dental schools. And if know you're EC's are outstanding, then better for you.

If you're not applying this cycle, I'd retake and try to improve those scores. Your stats aren't terrible. They're good but I would not feel safe with them.

ur scores look great to me! average at the very minimum!

You do not by any means need a 22+! more like a 20+. Obviously shoot for a 30 but the idea that you would need to score in the 97+ percentile to "make up" for a 3.56 doesn't make sense.

Well that's what I meant by "aim" for a 22+ lol. Gotta aim high to score high. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for the advice! it really is helping!

Do schools look at the individual Bio section score? i thought they take into account the overall TS score?

Also, I am applying this cycle yes. Currently getting my app together and will send it in the next couple days. Im trying to apply early as possible (heard the earlier the better). If I do retake wouldn't that push my applying early back even more?

And what schools are considered the easier ones?

Figured I would let you know, Your scores are similar to what I got when I took it the first time. 18AA and one score that was a 16. I applied to 6 schools and didn't get into any. My GPA was about yours as well.

Many schools have a hard cutoff of no sections below a 17, but from talking to schools, the 16 still held me back in all schools.

I applied and hoped for the best, but looking back I should have just studied hard, retook the DAT and applied the following year. Its alot of money just to cross your fingers.

I studied hard for about 3.5 weeks and retook the DAT this year and got 20+ in all sections. That would be my advice, study hard, retake the DAT and apply with confidence.

Thanks everyone for the advice! it really is helping!

Do schools look at the individual Bio section score? i thought they take into account the overall TS score?

Also, I am applying this cycle yes. Currently getting my app together and will send it in the next couple days. Im trying to apply early as possible (heard the earlier the better). If I do retake wouldn't that push my applying early back even more?

They can see all scores. So if they're in the mood to like a 16, that's it. It's assumed that there are hard cutoffs, but you'll generally only find words like 'suggested # in all sections' or similar phrases. You'll rarely see a 'must be #' like you do with GPA.

That being said, we all know it's a numbers game. So, whatever they feel like doing on the backend we can't argue. It's an easy thing to point out when you call and ask why you were denied. I'm sure that's a valid reason for some, but then the stats come out and you see their range of scores and you see a 16. Basically, it's a gamble and expect a resistance.

If you have the cash, I suppose you move forward with a lot of schools. Get on it soon so you're at least ahead of the August DAT rush. If you know for SURE that a school will hold your application until you retake, I'd contact them individually after you submit.

If you retake, you're pretty much doing so for next cycle. Scores arriving in November are sort of late...unless they are earth-shattering.

Figured I would let you know, Your scores are similar to what I got when I took it the first time. 18AA and one score that was a 16. I applied to 6 schools and didn't get into any. My GPA was about yours as well.

Many schools have a hard cutoff of no sections below a 17, but from talking to schools, the 16 still held me back in all schools.

I applied and hoped for the best, but looking back I should have just studied hard, retook the DAT and applied the following year. Its alot of money just to cross your fingers.

I studied hard for about 3.5 weeks and retook the DAT this year and got 20+ in all sections. That would be my advice, study hard, retake the DAT and apply with confidence.

Not arguing that this was the cause of last cycle's outcome, but only applying to six schools didn't do you any favors either. OP, apply to many more than that. Twenty plus in all sections is awesome though. Perhaps it was meant to be and you'll get more choices of schools (and tuition) to consider this time.

I have to ask because My bio section was my highest individual score.

What state school dean told you that??

Thanks

I think the real question here is....

What are you going to do about your screen name when Lebron turns 29?!?!

Thinking-guy-meme.png

decisions.. decisions..

I think the real question here is....

What are you going to do about your screen name when Lebron turns 29?!?!

Thinking-guy-meme.png

decisions.. decisions..

how do you know he's referring to lebron's age? It could be the number of rings that he predicts lebro will get. who knows.

PA 17
QR 17
RC 18
BIO 16
GC 18
OC 19
TS 17
AA 18

If this was me, i would retake. that 17 in TS looks bad

As someone who wasted years with a low DAT, I say definitely retake. Especially since you admit you did not adequately prepare. Your scores show that with a little work, you can easily break a 20+ on every section. Here is the best source for material to use: http://forums.sdn.net/showthread.php?t=992975

I'd say retake but anything above a 21 is great but unneeded unless you want to go to a place like Harvard.

I just meant look into the ones with lower admissions stats and larger incoming class sizes, like BU and Temple for instance.
Can't remember other ones, but I'd grab the ADEA book and look them up.