DAT done!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daneosaurus

D4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did ok...nothing spectacular. But I'm freaking done. Not retaking, barely had time to study as it is.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1403026993.932556.jpg

Breakdown:
I'm going to make this as detailed as possible - the detailed ones helped me the most.

Study sources:

Bootcamp (10.5/10)
Chad (10/10)
Destroyer/Math Destroyer (bought orgo odyssey, didn't use it) (8/10)
Clif's AP Bio, 3rd edition (9/10)
Princeton Review: Cracking the DAT (6/10)

Big shoutout to Ari, Chad, and Dr. Romano (dingus). Originally, I had started studying in February to take this thing on May 16. This was the Friday two weeks after my Spring classes ended and immediately before my Summer classes began. I started putting in the work, bought Bootcamp, ordered Destroyer, wife rented Princeton Review from Chegg, I ordered Clif's. I knew all the ideal schedules that others had made previously would never apply to me as I never have 8-10 hours/ day to do nothing but study, let alone 10 weeks (looking at you, Ari). I'm a nontrad. I stretch myself far too thin, so I figured I would take 3 months and give myself 3 months at 3/hours a day. Well, that worked for a while, until I started getting tests back in orgo 2 with low C's!!! In an act of panicked desperation, I gave myself an additional month to study, so I could try to salvage my ochem grade (made a B, in large part, due to the ACS ochem final - her tests were stupid hard). I stopped studying for the DAT around mid April. I resumed on May 9 and studied every day until yesterday where I refused to go in bedroom for fear of opening my books. I'd say I only had about 5.5 weeks of real, hardcore studying. Sometimes I'd only get two hours of sleep a night because I have many obligations to attend to.

DAT Day:

Went to bed at around 11:00pm after taking a drive out to the Prometric Center, just so I'd know where to find it (one less thing to worry about the day of). Got up at 6:00am and my wife cooked me egg whites, turkey bacon, and grits (yeah, I'm from the south). Left at around 6:50 and grabbed some Starbucks. Listened to Vampire Weekend on the car ride there so I could sing along (yeah, I'm a dork) and get my mind off of the unspeakable doom that lay ahead (as I saw it). Arrived early (better than being late) and ate a banana and finished my coffee. Walked in at 7:45, guy at the desk was super nice. Gave me a locker and I waited around for maybe 10 mins.

Bio:
Bootcamp scores: 30/24/25/18/27
DAT: 17
Honestly, not sure what the hell happened. I'm a bio major. I was killing it on Destroyer and Bootcamp. I did have to learn A&P from scratch, and I was nervous as hell as the test started, but I am positive I got the first 5 or 6 questions correct. I marked everything I was unsure of and put down my best guess. I'd say I knew about 25 of them, was able to narrow 10 down to two answer choices, and straight guessed on 5. No plant questions (except one photosynthesis), no Hardy-Weinberg, no microscopes, very little ecology.

Gen Chem:
Bootcamp: 16/17/15/21/24
DAT: 21
Uh...dafuq? This was BY FAR my worst section when I was studying. I hadn't touched this stuff in over 2 years. So I spent the most time with it. I guess it paid off. Bootcamp was more difficult than the actual thing. Destroyer was WAY too difficult. I'm really surprised that this was my highest science score. All that time you practice estimating logs in your head? I only had one question on it, but I nailed it thanks to practicing so much on it. I don't think I had a single straight stoichiometric or solubility question. I completely forgot colligative property calculations which is probably one of the ones I missed. Not much calculation, but you need to know a number of definitions and the really conceptual stuff like periodic trends (Ari was right on the money with this observation). Know how to read a set of experiments and determine rate laws. Acid base chemistry, etc.

Orgo:
Bootcamp: 19/25/29/-/-
DAT: 19
I had just taken orgo 2, so I knew this stuff really well. Not surprised by my score, as nothing caught me off guard, but I didn't study as much as I should have. Know names of reactions (aldol condensation, diels-alder, etc). People who have never taken orgo, I have no idea how you do it - more power to ya. Can't really offer much advice here - straight forward section.

Break!!!! Wait, what? Yes, I have a tendency to finish multiple choice tests quickly (not always, as you'll see later) and I finished the SNS portion with 7 minutes to spare. This was after reviewing all my marked questions and changing (mostly bio, probably came back to bite me) answers. Peed, took a sip of water, stretched and resume.

PAT:
Bootcamp: 21/16/19/17/19
About what I expected, nothing too fancy. One poster mentioned something about a rock shape. I loled (more like a muffled guffaw) as my first shape looked like a freaking rock! I set up my grids for hole punching and charts for cube counting. EVERY PART WAS EASIER THAN BOOTCAMP. I was surprised at how much easier angle ranking (wider angles, sometimes all four were aligned parallel to the bottom of the computer screen!) and TFE (my nemesis) were in comparison to bootcamp. Pattern folding was extremely similar to bootcamp.

Scheduled Break:
Ate a banana, took a five hour energy, drank half a bottle of water, urinated again, ate some peanuts. Got back with 5 minutes remaining - eff it lets do this thang!

RC:
Bootcamp: -/-/-/-/-
Did not study for this. Not even a little. English is my native tongue and I am literate. Seriously not even sure what the big deal is. 3 articles - 2nd one was super interesting (gecko adhesion). I used search and destroy, but ended up reading the 2nd article because I'm a nerd. Read the whole paragraph for the approximately 2 tone and inference questions in the entire section.

Finished with 10 mins left. Another unscheduled break? You bet ya! The water had somehow gotten through my body (not a single kidney question - I studied the hell outta kidneys!) and I knew I needed focus on QR.

QR:
Bootcamp: 15/17/19/21/17
DAT: 16 :(
I guess I should have expected this, as I didn't do great on Bootcamp, either. There seriously is just not enough time for this section. I thought the questions were easy, but I just started solving them, and realized after the 5th or 6th one that I was taking far too much time (what was I thinking?!) I had already burned 10 minutes of this thing! I'm not bad at math, in fact I have taken a few semesters of calculus. I just like to think it all through and work at my own pace - the DAT just didn't agree. The math on here is simple, it trips me up. The real DAT was much easier than bootcamp, but same style of problems (if that makes any sence), I had 3 or so trig problems (my favorite precalc subject). When I got towards the end I saw I had 10 minutes left and 13 problems remaining, so I scrambled to get them all done, chose a random answer for the last 3 and picked the easiest one to actually attempt to solve, as I only had a minute left. I'm still uncertain as to whether my final answer selection made it in time.

TL;DR: DAT is not fun, isn't that hard, but you need to study and not be nervous (maybe my biggest downfall).

I'm not incredibly impressed with myself, but not that disappointed. These scores are good enough to get me in somewhere, but not Columbia as I was dreaming. Oh, well. It's over now, good riddance and I'm NOT retaking.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Great job! Those are very respectable scores. I know you're glad to be done :banana:

Stay off the forums and recover for a few days ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I took the DAT today as well!

I got a 17 on BIO and QR too! Was it just me or were the questions just incredibly hard???!

Congratz on your scores! You deserve a break. What is with QR this summer did it get much harder?

Let us know what schools you get accepted to!!!

Nice scores, I take my dat in august

Posted using SDN Mobile

Bio was much harder than I thought it would be. QR wasn't hard at all, in fact I was surprised by how easy it was. But I spent 10 mins on the first five problems. By then end of it, I only had 10 mins remaining and 13 problems left to do!!! :(

Was there a reason that you didn't use Ari's "3 pass" method- to tackle the easiest questions first, the ones you need a minute to work out second, and the impossible ones last?

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL I feel like my brain is going to be dead by the time I get to QR too. Was Bio just extremely random, too in-depth, or a mixture of both?

By that time I was in no mood for strategy. Lol

This is actually something all future test takers should understand. By the time I got to QR section I literally was in no mood for strategy either. I used the calculator for every question. I did somehow pull off a 21 so I can't say my method was bad, but I had def prepared differently at home compared to how I actually dealt with the QR section. Be prepared for your brain, and eyes, to be worn out by this section!

Reactions: 1 user
Good job on your scores. I've read QR section is the least weighted so as long as schools don't have a minimum score per subject, you should be fine.

This is actually something all future test takers should understand. By the time I got to QR section I literally was in no mood for strategy either. I used the calculator for every question. I did somehow pull off a 21 so I can't say my method was bad, but I had def prepared differently at home compared to how I actually dealt with the QR section. Be prepared for your brain, and eyes, to be worn out by this section!
It's true. It's a test of attrition and I was just ready to get it over with. I had a minute left for the last 3 questions, so I marked each one and attempted to work out which one was the easiest.

Well congrats on the scores and on being done. I know it must be a good feeling. NO MORE STUDYING!:soexcited: Can't wait for the breakdown.

Ahh! I can't believe I missed this earlier today! Blame Brazil for their ****ty game :p

Congrats on the scores dude, welcome to freedom! No more studying for this stupid exam!!

Good job. What was so hard about Bio? Did they ask very specific quedtuons?

Same here, and I had to use the restroom as well.

I'm shocked that your bootcamp bio scores were so misrepresentative of your actual score :confused:

I'm shocked that your bootcamp bio scores were so misrepresentative of your actual score :confused:
Don't let that detract you from Bootcamp. The test was extremely similar to Bootcamp's questions. I pretty much choked. Changed answers, blanked on a few (I almost never change answers!).

Last edited:
Deleted due to realizing I may be giving too much info about the specifics of the test. There's a confidentiality agreement you have to agree to before you can take the test.

Last edited:
Same here, and I had to use the restroom as well.

Ahh that's terrible haha. During my test the guy said I can't leave the room at all unless the computer screen says break, so even if I wanted to use the bathroom I wasn't allowed to.

Danepost: 52640 said:
I did ok...nothing spectacular. But I'm freaking barely had time to study as it is.[4[/ATTACHH]

Breakdown:
I'm going to make this as detailed as possible - the detailed ones helped me the most.

Study sources:

Bootcamp (10.5/10)
Chad (10/10)
Destroyer/Math Destroyer (bought orgo odyssey, didn't use it) (8/10)
Clif's AP Bio, 3rd edition (9/10)
Princeton Review: Cracking the DAT (6/10)

Big shoutout to Ari, Chad, and Dr. Romano (dingus). Originally, I had started studying in February to take this thing on May 16. This was the Friday two weeks after my Spring classes ended and immediately before my Summer classes began. I started putting in the work, bought Bootcamp, ordered Destroyer, wife rented Princeton Review from Chegg, I ordered Clif's. I knew all the ideal schedules that others had made previously would never apply to me as I never have 8-10 hours/ day to do nothing but study, let alone 10 weeks (looking at you, Ari). I'm a nontrad. I stretch myself far too thin, so I figured I would take 3 months and give myself 3 months at 3/hours a day. Well, that worked for a while, until I started getting tests back in orgo 2 with low C's!!! In an act of panicked desperation, I gave myself an additional month to study, so I could try to salvage my ochem grade (made a B, in large part, due to the ACS ochem final - her tests were stupid hard). I stopped studying for the DAT around mid April. I resumed on May 9 and studied every day until yesterday where I refused to go in bedroom for fear of opening my books. I'd say I only had about 5.5 weeks of real, hardcore studying. Sometimes I'd only get two hours of sleep a night because I have many obligations to attend to.

DAT Day:

Went to bed at around 11:00pm after taking a drive out to the Prometric Center, just so I'd know where to find it (one less thing to worry about the day of). Got up at 6:00am and my wife cooked me egg whites, turkey bacon, and grits (yeah, I'm from the south). Left at around 6:50 and grabbed some Starbucks. Listened to Vampire Weekend on the car ride there so I could sing along (yeah, I'm a dork) and get my mind off of the unspeakable doom that lay ahead (as I saw it). Arrived early (better than being late) and ate a banana and finished my coffee. Walked in at 7:45, guy at the desk was super nice. Gave me a locker and I waited around for maybe 10 mins.

Bio:
Bootcamp scores: 30/24/25/18/27
DAT: 17
Honestly, not sure what the hell happened. I'm a bio major. I was killing it on Destroyer and Bootcamp. I did have to learn A&P from scratch, and I was nervous as hell as the test started, but I am positive I got the first 5 or 6 questions correct. I marked everything I was unsure of and put down my best guess. I'd say I knew about 25 of them, was able to narrow 10 down to two answer choices, and straight guessed on 5. No plant questions (except one photosynthesis), no Hardy-Weinberg, no microscopes, very little ecology.

Gen Chem:
Bootcamp: 16/17/15/21/24
Uh...dafuq? This was BY FAR my worst section when I was studying. I hadn't touched this stuff in over 2 years. So I spent the most time with it. I guess it paid off. Bootcamp was more difficult than the actual thing. Destroyer was WAY too difficult. I'm really surprised that this was my highest science score. All that time you practice estimating logs in your head? I only had one question on it, but I nailed it thanks to practicing so much on it. I don't think I had a single straight stoichiometric or solubility question. I completely forgot colligative property calculations which is probably one of the ones I missed. Not much calculation, but you need to know a number of definitions and the really conceptual stuff like periodic trends (Ari was right on the money with this observation). Know how to read a set of experiments and determine rate laws. Acid base chemistry, etc.

Orgo:
Bootcamp: 19/25/29/-/-
I had just taken orgo 2, so I knew this stuff really well. Not surprised by my score, as nothing caught me off guard, but I didn't study as much as I should have. Know names of reactions (aldol condensation, diels-alder, etc). People who have never taken orgo, I have no idea how you do it - more power to ya. Can't really offer much advice here - straight forward section.

Break!!!! Wait, what? Yes, I have a tendency to finish multiple choice tests quickly (not always, as you'll see later) and I finished the SNS portion with 7 minutes to spare. This was after reviewing all my marked questions and changing (mostly bio, probably came back to bite me) answers. Peed, took a sip of water, stretched and resume.

PAT:
Bootcamp: 21/16/19/17/19
About what I expected, nothing too fancy. One poster mentioned something about a rock shape. I loled (more like a muffled guffaw) as my first shape looked like a freaking rock! I set up my grids for hole punching and charts for cube counting. EVERY PART WAS EASIER THAN BOOTCAMP. I was surprised at how much easier angle ranking (wider angles, sometimes all four were aligned parallel to the bottom of the computer screen!) and TFE (my nemesis) were in comparison to bootcamp. Pattern folding was extremely similar to bootcamp.

Scheduled Break:
Ate a banana, took a five hour energy, drank half a bottle of water, urinated again, ate some peanuts. Got back with 5 minutes remaining - eff it lets do this thang!

RC:
Bootcamp: -/-/-/-/-
Did not study for this. Not even a little. English is my native tongue and I am literate. Seriously not even sure what the big deal is. 3 articles - 2nd one was super interesting (gecko adhesion). I used search and destroy, but ended up reading the 2nd article because I'm a nerd. Read the whole paragraph for the approximately 2 tone and inference questions in the entire section.

Finished with 10 mins left. Another unscheduled break? You bet ya! The water had somehow gotten through my body (not a single kidney question - I studied the hell outta kidneys!) and I knew I needed focus on QR.

QR:
Bootcamp: 15/17/19/21/17
DAT: 16 :(
I guess I should have expected this, as I didn't do great on Bootcamp, either. There seriously is just not enough time for this section. I thought the questions were easy, but I just started solving them, and realized after the 5th or 6th one that I was taking far too much time (what was I thinking?!) I had already burned 10 minutes of this thing! I'm not bad at math, in fact I have taken a few semesters of calculus. I just like to think it all through and work at my own pace - the DAT just didn't agree. The math on here is simple, it trips me up. The real DAT was much easier than bootcamp, but same style of problems (if that makes any sence), I had 3 or so trig problems (my favorite precalc subject). When I got towards the end I saw I had 10 minutes left and 13 problems remaining, so I scrambled to get them all done, chose a random answer for the last 3 and picked the easiest one to actually attempt to solve, as I only had a minute left. I'm still uncertain as to whether my final answer selection made it in time.

TL;DR: DAT is not fun, isn't that hard, but you need to study and not be nervous (maybe my biggest downfall).

I'm not incredibly impressed with myself, but not that disappointed. These scores are good enough to get me in somewhere, but not Columbia as I was dreaming. Oh, well. It's over now, good riddance and I'm NOT retaking.
I think we may have gotten the exact same test! My first PAT question was a "rock" keyhole and my 2nd RC article was on gecko adhesion as well!

congrats on finishing and your scores are fine! I have several friends who got into ASDOH and UW with the same scores! Woohoo welcome to the other side! :D

Congratulations! You did great considering the amount of other obligations you have. The study schedule I wrote is pretty intense no doubt, it was written more for traditional students with more time. Maybe someone could write one designed more for non-traditional students, you could help out a lot of people if you did :)

Congratulations! You did great considering the amount of other obligations you have. The study schedule I wrote is pretty intense no doubt, it was written more for traditional students with more time. Maybe someone could write one designed more for non-traditional students, you could help out a lot of people if you did :)
Thanks, Ari. I'd love to make up a study schedule for those with no time to study, but honestly, I'm not sure I'm the best to do it, given my scores. If not for my military experience, I would really not like my chances for interviews/acceptances.