DAT General chemistry question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Ho

Reaction score
What kind of questions are the general chemistry section based off of? Is it more conceptual or calculated based? Or is it equal?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I heard, if the other sciences, like bio or orgo are easier, the gen chem would be more brutal with a lot of calculations. But you should prepare for both conceptual and calculation questions, as both types are free game.

What kind of questions are the general chemistry section based off of? Is it more conceptual or calculated based? Or is it equal?
There are many versions of the DAT, students don't all get the same test. It will be combination, and can be but NOT necessarily equal. I have talked to thousands of students through the years and I hear different things. The only way to avoid a retake to is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. No one has a crystal ball to know what you will be presented on test day.

Wishing you the best.
Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I took the DAT, I had a very good mix of calculations and conceptual questions. I never found the calculations to be particularly grueling though, and the math ended up always being pretty simple. Just know your scientific notation and vaguely how to convert between pH and [H+], e.g. But you should prepare for BOTH equally - everyone can get a different mix of one or the other. While I had an even split, others have received nearly all calculations, while others nearly all conceptual. Don't take any chances, just learn everything the best you can.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Both. Calculated based is very simple you could probably do them without the calculator. I would def focus more on the concepts.