This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alikhan9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if people can post some of their reading comprehension strategy or given any links of breakdowns with method, and anything else that might have improved your score that you implemented.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I was wondering if people can post some of their reading comprehension strategy or given any links of breakdowns with method, and anything else that might have improved your score that you implemented.

Dat bootcamp has a full list of strategies for rc. I'd provide a link but I'm on mobile. Personally I like the vanilla method of just reading once and answering questions. It's worked out well for me so far

I read quickly, looked for keywords, wrote down what paragraph the keywords were in, then answered the questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dat bootcamp has a full list of strategies for rc. I'd provide a link but I'm on mobile. Personally I like the vanilla method of just reading once and answering questions. It's worked out well for me so far
Which one do you recommend it seems the BY4YOU strategy is a bit risky

I read quickly, looked for keywords, wrote down what paragraph the keywords were in, then answered the questions.

Do what he said ^. I did this and managed a 23, I only did 2 practice tests (for this subject, practicing only helps on getting down timing since you won't know the passages), and I don't consider myself to be skilled at reading comprehension, I'm the type of person who has to read something a couple of times to really get a feel for what I just read. Writing down keywords also helps enforce whatever you just read in your head too (in my opinion).

I got a 27 on RC. All I did was read the first question (on the actual DAT the first thing you click into for RC is the article, then you press next and it's the article AND the first questions, so basically you just skip the very first part and go to where the first question is) and then read in the article until I found the question's answer. Finished with 20 minutes left and went back and changed 1 or 2 of the questions.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a 27 on RC. All I did was read the first question (on the actual DAT the first thing you click into for RC is the article, then you press next and it's the article AND the first questions, so basically you just skip the very first part and go to where the first question is) and then read in the article until I found the question's answer. Finished with 20 minutes left and went back and changed 1 or 2 of the questions.

So you basically read until you find the answer to your question, answer the question, and then repeat?

Which one do you recommend it seems the BY4YOU strategy is a bit risky
It's whatever you're comfortable with. I personally don't like those strategies because of the risk, I end up feeling anxious the whole time that I answered a question without knowing all the details surrounding it

So you basically read until you find the answer to your question, answer the question, and then repeat?
Yep. I originally planned and practiced with the mapping strategy combined with the strategy I just talked about, and I even wrote down all the numbers for the paragraphs. But then I started feeling really lazy so I didn't map it at all, haha. It was really hot in the room and I was tired!

I pretty much did this too and got a 26. I just read the question and found the area of the article in which it was talked about and answered. Most of the questions come straight out of the text there weren't too many for me where I had to think about the concept of the article as a whole or anything.

So first focus on the first question then read the passage until you find the answer and then did you right down keywords in the paragraphs and answer the rest of the questions using that?

I didn't take the DAT yet, but I usually get 25 or 26 on the bootcamp practice tests. I read the first 3 or 4 paragraphs carefully and then click through all the questions, answering the ones that were relevant to the paragraphs I just read. I continue to do this strategy of reading a few paragraphs at a time and answering all the questions I can. It gets easier as you go because be reading through the questions, you know what to look for in the paragraphs. I usually end with 15-20 minutes extra.

I didn't take the DAT yet, but I usually get 25 or 26 on the bootcamp practice tests. I read the first 3 or 4 paragraphs carefully and then click through all the questions, answering the ones that were relevant to the paragraphs I just read. I continue to do this strategy of reading a few paragraphs at a time and answering all the questions I can. It gets easier as you go because be reading through the questions, you know what to look for in the paragraphs. I usually end with 15-20 minutes extra.
Wow you say you read often in your spare time? Because my reading background is not to strong