DAT retake advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ama123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT a total of two times and for the first I received a 22/23/20 (AA/TS/PA). What happened wasthe dentist I was shadowing recommended taking the test again to up my PAT score because of my oGPA (around a 3.1) thus making me a bit more competitive. Now the issue is that I took the test a second time this week and my score came out to be 21/21/20 (AA/TS/PA). This score is a point lower compared to the other and my PA didn't change. I wanted to know how bad this looks to the admissions committee. I've read doc toothache's spreadsheet regarding all the schools that take recent/highest scores.

I don't plan on taking the test again to risk anything else happening but I figured that the next best thing would be to make sure my personal statement, essays and resume are on point? And also applying early would help a lot?

I'm a bit worried because I know how med schools look down upon lower scores on a retake. I don't want them to immediately throw my file in the rejected bin. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks you guys in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT a total of two times and for the first I received a 22/23/20 (AA/TS/PA). What happened wasthe dentist I was shadowing recommended taking the test again to up my PAT score because of my oGPA (around a 3.1) thus making me a bit more competitive. Now the issue is that I took the test a second time this week and my score came out to be 21/21/20 (AA/TS/PA). This score is a point lower compared to the other and my PA didn't change. I wanted to know how bad this looks to the admissions committee. I've read doc toothache's spreadsheet regarding all the schools that take recent/highest scores.

I don't plan on taking the test again to risk anything else happening but I figured that the next best thing would be to make sure my personal statement, essays and resume are on point? And also applying early would help a lot?

I'm a bit worried because I know how med schools look down upon lower scores on a retake. I don't want them to immediately throw my file in the rejected bin. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks you guys in advance.

Both scores are solid! I wouldn't dispair... The fact that you can score well on both tries is indicative of your hard work. Why you retook with a 22/23/20, even at the recommendation of a dentist, is a little beyond me, but great job (both times)!

No one really knows how they view things like this but it probably won't be a positive reaction. You're right on with your next moves. Get your PS in check and submit the very first day of the application cycle. Perhaps look into getting a few more volunteer / research hours between now and June to help improve your application because you're definitely below average with a 3.1. How's the sGPA?

I'm taking some science classes this semester to up the sGPA which at this point is about a 3.2. Volunteer experience is something I'm going for right now also. My PS is going to have to be very strong to get any kind of recognition. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's probably the worst advice your dentist had given to you.. Maybe you have SDNitis or not, but when I interviewed, which I have similar DAT to you, the interviewer said my DAT is high...You are right, the best you can do right now is prepare other materials and make them strong. And nice choice on taking more class to raise your gpa.
I'm sure your file won't be thrown right away, but I feel it could raise eyebrows on why you retook a test when you had a high DAT score.
Next time you take an advice from someone, ask the admission advisers, not your dentist..

Don't blame on dentist,his advices but your decision! you thought you could make higher scores ,but not ! That's one lesson .next time you should ask more people ! I think 21/21/20 will be OK