DAT score reports

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smile786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am confused about the score report process. I heard that once you take the exam, your score pops up after a few seconds. Also, I heard that after seeing your scores, you are allowed to decide if you want to keep the score for dental schools to see. Is that possible? If so, I don't see how that makes sense because people will take the exam as many times they want and cancel their scores if they are not satisfied with their results? If someone knows, can you please clarify this with me? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You sign up for the DAT at ada.org
At this site you also choose which schools you want your score sent to. You can choose NOT to send scores out to schools.
After taking the DAT your scores will pop up on your screen immediately. You cannot cancel these scores.
If you chose NOT to send out the scores to schools then they will never find out if you did bad.
HOWEVER if you take the DAT again and do well and have those scores sent out, your previous scores will be released also.
If you do well the first time you can go back to the ada.org website and login and have your score sent out to various schools.

You do get to see the scores right away, but I don't think you can opt to hide them from dental schools. Once you take it, it counts. But you can take it again later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also remember the new policy. You can only take the test THREE times. Your third one is your last. Make it count the first time.

Thank you. One more thing, what if I choose not to send the scores to schools until I see the scores and then decide to send the scores like after couple of months, will they charge me?

The first 5 schools you send it to are free (when you take the test I believe). If you choose to wait and see what you made to send your scores, each score report is $15 I think.

Oh that sucks! Thank you guys for the help.