DAT scrap paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocDoon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Can anyone explain what the scrap paper situation is like on the real DAT? I know you get laminated sheets with markers, and I've been using that when i practice but I use up two sheets front and back quickly. Will this be a problem on the real DAT or does prometric swap out sheets fast enough so it won't lose me time? Any other details about prometric and the actual DAT are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I had them swap the paper during the break, so I didn't lose any time. If I remember correctly, it's grid paper (laminated, as you said), which was kind of annoying.

I had them swap the paper during the break, so I didn't lose any time. If I remember correctly, it's grid paper (laminated, as you said), which was kind of annoying.
How many sheets do you get? I write a lot when I take tests and also have big handwriting so I'm afraid that I will have to swap out while time is ticking

You get 2 sheets of laminated grid paper. The top ~25% is taken up with some policies regarding the sheets. During my exam, I was strictly told I couldn't write anything on the sheets until after the actual exam started (aka couldn't quickly do my PAT grids)

Members don't see this ad :)
How many sheets do you get? I write a lot when I take tests and also have big handwriting so I'm afraid that I will have to swap out while time is ticking
Hey Doc! I don't know if every prometric is like this, but for mine, the proctors are monitoring the room and you can signal them to exchange the grid papers (You can only have 2 at a time) by just raising your left hand. So what I did was after I am done using one of them and while working on the fresh one, I would just raise my left hand while doing the test and they will come by to swap it for me. I was worried about losing time at the QR since I write big, but it was quite efficient! So just swap the old one asap when you're working on the new one and you'll never run into issue with the scratch papers. Again, I don't know if every prometric does this. I recommend calling the specific test center you are testing to see if they do it like this.

When I took the exam I got the 2 laminated sheets and 2 markers. The sheets were dark blue with a grid pattern. Very difficult to read, no eraser, and the markers kept dying. I was able to fill in my PAT grids before the exam during the tutorial. I would not recommend asking the proctor if this is allowed. Unless they explicitly say that you are not allowed to just start filling the grid during the tutorial. If they yell at you just stop immediately. From what I hear the rules on this vary. (Your call). I wish I had used these boards to practice with instead of paper because I found them hard to deal with. I had a habit of using a lot of space and going through paper like crazy when practicing the QR. Realistically the proctors won't bring new sheets as quickly as you would like (they were in another room for my exam) so practice conserving space on your scrap paper. Good luck!