Data Analyst good for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hjawa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been offered a position as a data analyst for a cancer research biotech company. i would be speaking to the patients and collecting data about them and arranging them in a way that can help clinicians seek useful information. Would this look good for med school? and would it provide experiences and skills that are useful for my future as a pre-med graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently been offered a position as a data analyst for a cancer research biotech company. i would be speaking to the patients and collecting data about them and arranging them in a way that can help clinicians seek useful information. Would this look good for med school? and would it provide experiences and skills that are useful for my future as a pre-med graduate?
more info is needed.

do you have other volunteering, clinical, shadowing experiences?

Why are you getting this job? is this a gap year?
Would this look good for med school?
depends what your stats are and how the rest of the application looks.

would it provide experiences and skills that are useful for my future as a pre-med graduate?
what is your future as pre-med graduate?

If you mean physician, that nothing prepares better than medical school and residency and a good character.

I don't see how it could be a bad thing --- especially in today's world where "big data" and "data analytics" is becoming increasingly important.

Plus, one of the primary reasons for doctors and hospitals to adopt EHRs (electronic health records) is data mining and data analytics to look at large groups of patients and treatment outcomes so your job will be right in line with that mission.

Do you have a degree or background in biostatistics? I'm also exploring a career in healthcare data analytics so I'd like to hear from similar-minded folks!

Having a job is good for medical school.
Having a job like this is clinical experience, so double good.

Reactions: 1 user