[DATABASE] Leading Biomedical Researchers - By Field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CattleBruiser

BattleCruiser
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because it is difficult to learn who the experts in fields other than your field are, yet can be incredibly useful for us, I thought it was a good idea to tap into the power of SDN to make a database/list of sorts since an official source with this info does not seem to exist. This thread is intended for everyone to share their respective field and who the leading expert or experts in that field is/are. Please copy the previous list like they do in acceptance/rejection threads and add your scientist to keep it organized and easy to browse. Hopefully this will be useful. I'll start.

FORMAT: Field - Professor - Institution - Keywords (i.e. receptors, 3 max)

------

Developmental Biology - Irv Weissman - Stanford University - stem cells, cancer

Oncology - Ron Levy - Stanford University - immunotherapy, lymphoma, tumor vaccine

Bioengineering - Robert Langer - MIT/Harvard - drug delivery, angiogenesis, tissue engineering

Members don't see this ad.

isn't this just based on opinion? why not use HHMIs as a starting point at least...

and bioengineering as an entire field? oncology? dev. bio? these are way too broad, but when we get more specific, it's hard to classify some people into distinct fields.

although the idea of a database is nice, it might not be functionally useful... probably why one doesn't exist. not to be a debbie downer, i think at best, a superficial one can be generated.

Last edited:
yeah the HHMI investigator list is a good start, but from another thread I got the impression it was hard to understand who the leaders were in other fields so if everyone contributed about their field it could be another resource. Also I think being based on rep is not a bad thing if you've heard about them a lot during your research because they must have had some big contributions to your field to have earned that rep so I wouldn't say this is all opinion.

edit: also the field is broad, but I think the keywords can help narrow it down for people. Whatever people can add will be better than nothing imo

Members don't see this ad :)
well, to keep it broad and not too specific yet, i'll contribute a few for now.

------

Bioengineering - Joe Vacanti - Harvard/MGH - tissue engineering

Oncology - Lew Cantley - Harvard/BIDMC - PI3K signaling pathway

Oncology - Pier Paolo Pandolfi - Harvard/BIDMC (formerly Memorial Sloan Kettering) - molecular signaling in cancer models (jumps around a lot of hot areas - PTEN, mTOR, Akt, etc)

Oncology - Bill Kaelin - Dana Farber - tumor suppressors (VHL, Rb)

Oncology - Michele Pagano - NYU - E3 ligases/ubiquitination

i could keep going with oncology, but i'll stop here and see how the list picks up. maybe you can keep updating the original post and organize accordingly.

Bioengineering - Joe Vacanti - Harvard/MGH - tissue engineering

Oncology - Lew Cantley - Harvard/BIDMC - PI3K signaling pathway

Oncology - Pier Paolo Pandolfi - Harvard/BIDMC (formerly Memorial Sloan Kettering) - molecular signaling in cancer models (jumps around a lot of hot areas - PTEN, mTOR, Akt, etc)

Oncology - Bill Kaelin - Dana Farber - tumor suppressors (VHL, Rb)

Oncology - Michele Pagano - NYU - E3 ligases/ubiquitination

Biophysics - David Weitz - Harvard - soft condensed matter

Can we sort this thing out by school. For example: school, field this school is good for, leaders of the field in this school. Right now it seems like we should all go to Harvard....

Right now it seems like we should all go to Harvard....

harvard is just plain huge with all the affiliated institutions/hospitals haha. plus for people looking into grad programs, not everyone wants to join a huge well known lab.

Can we sort this thing out by school. For example: school, field this school is good for, leaders of the field in this school. Right now it seems like we should all go to Harvard....
Yea, feel free to do that, this is an open thread for anyone to add/rearrange/etc.

As for the Harvard thing...I'm from the NE area and did some summer projects there so yea that's the only reason I'm more familiar with certain schools (cough *Harvard* cough) and where you went to undergrad also matters in who you know is a beast in the field...so yea sorry for the skewed list, but we really need more people to post. I know there are MD/PhD students from all over on the forum not just east/west :)

The only people qualified to pick who the leading researchers in their respective fields are other faculty

there is a reason it is "hard to find", and quick opinions of others is not good advice to use

Faculty in the "Faculty of 1000" are exceptional. http://f1000.com/thefaculty

Members of the National Academy of Sciences

Living Nobel Prize Winners

remember, that actually joining up with junior faculty, at a time in the career before huge recognition, can actually be a really good career move. They are extrememly motivated to help you succeed.

This just seems like making a list of respectable names to apply to. I think this is an inappropriate place for this and it will probably come out inaccurate and less than useful.

Faculty in the "Faculty of 1000" are exceptional. http://f1000.com/thefaculty

Members of the National Academy of Sciences

Living Nobel Prize Winners

remember, that actually joining up with junior faculty, at a time in the career before huge recognition, can actually be a really good career move. They are extrememly motivated to help you succeed.

This just seems like making a list of respectable names to apply to. I think this is an inappropriate place for this and it will probably come out inaccurate and less than useful.
see if you would have posted this 3 days ago this thread would not have been here... anyways thanks for the link.