Dating in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aclementine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this should be the least of my worries in med school, but I've never had a long term relationship yet... everyone is going to say... oh, chances are you're around med students all the time, so you're more likely to date another med student, but seriously:

what program/year is your current boyfriend/girlfriend in?
how/where did you guys meet?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm M1 and we met at our interview and have been dating since the beginning of class in august.

Tons of people date during 3rd/4th year rotations, and even during residency, crazy as it may seem.

Med students/doctors of the opposite gender are going to drive you crazy pretty soon. Trust me on this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that being said...I'm only attracted to male medical students/doctors myself...

We're both MSIIs. We met while I was getting my master's, and he was doing his post-bac, during our application year. We were both from the same home state, living out-of-state, and hoping to get into our state school. And we did!

I know this should be the least of my worries in med school, but I've never had a long term relationship yet... everyone is going to say... oh, chances are you're around med students all the time, so you're more likely to date another med student, but seriously:

Medical school. The chics are already successful, so you just have to find the one that's hot (or that you're physically attracted to) and that jives with your moral foundation / religion. It's math.

Tons of people date during 3rd/4th year rotations, and even during residency, crazy as it may seem.

Med students/doctors of the opposite gender are going to drive you crazy pretty soon. Trust me on this one.

If you have a poor Step 1 score, you should start dating the smartest chic in your year as soon as possible.

Joke.

1) Don't date anybody not in med school. You wont' have time for them.
2) If you date someone in your med school, chances are that you'll break up and it'll be awkward from then on. That's what happened in my school for most of the relationships I know about.

2) If you date someone in your med school, chances are that you'll break up and it'll be awkward from then on. That's what happened in my school for most of the relationships I know about.

It tends to have both outcomes at my school. I think we have a record of 7 or 8 marriages within one class, not to shabby for a class of 72 students. on the other hand a break up is a mess. everyone says "its like high school" when people talk, but I think thats just what happens when you put that many ppl together in that kind of enviroment, they talk. So ppl talk and if it goes south you may HAVE to work with that person.
On the other hand love is love, you have very little control over it happening just if you are going to do anything about it. Just weigh the pros and cons, if it goes south, talk about it and try to stay professional.

If you have a poor Step 1 score, you should start dating the smartest chic in your year as soon as possible.

Joke.

I've seen med student couples break up over mismatched step 1 scores. One didn't want the others poor score to keep them out of a competitive residency. Sad but true.

Reactions: 1 user
There's PLENTY of time to date in medical school...medical school is just another phase in life, not this special event that needs to put the rest of your life on hold or something. Residency is potentially much more time-consuming than school, so if you can't find time to date now, wow...you're going to be pretty lonely into your late 20's/early 30's...

Dating is not really the "least of your worries," in school...i mean think about it...most of us are in our early to mid 20's, you have to enjoy yourself. Now's the perfect time to date around if you're single....but I DON'T recommend sticking only to dating other students in your class. Give yourself some breathing room. Unless you REALLY make a perfect match with a classmate (or just really want to hook up after a tough test), explore the outside world...plenty to pick from, nurses/nursing students, pharm students, undergrads, etc. Don't think that there's some unofficial rule that you have to get with another med student. I have not seriously dated another medical student, and do not plan to.

PS: If you're a guy, check out teachers (a young cute one, of course)...they tend to be smart AND very nice, sweet etc. Good combo to mellow out a crazy, somewhat psychotic type-A med student...

Members don't see this ad :)
There's PLENTY of time to date in medical school...

False once you get to third year. I'd say that there's time to keep an already existing relationship going, but when you're on q4 call you probably are going to prefer to use your day off to sleep in and catch up on reading rather than dating. Plus your daily schedule is going to be pretty off from the early mornings and early nights, making meeting people even harder.

What about pharmacy students! We dont have a life either...

But I have a couple in my class who broke up (I think? they still sit by each other everyday) and its pretty interesting to just look @ them in class and also hear all the gossip involved... lol the guy yelled at the girl the other day outside of class and someone heard and now they're being called the white version of Chris Brown and Rihanna.

But do MD students see Pharm D. students as inferior, or "Not able to understand what their going through"? I've always wanted to know this, b/c I think we have alottttt in common as far as the social situation is concerned.

Alright check it out. 90% of your classmates will be either married or in a relationship they've had going for 8 years. Most female med students aren't gorgeous and have rather low self esteem, meaning that most are hanging on to whatever guy they've managed to get in their pre-medschool lives. They'll hang onto this guy relentlessly, even if he IS an automechanic or the cashier at Shaw's, because they're comfortable with him and for fear of ending up alone.

The other 10% will be either nothing you'd be interested in or that awful, snobby, I'm-from-a-rich-family and I'm-too-good-for-everyone type. These women are flying high on the pretentiousness they were taught as children, and will declare themselves too good for anybody but a venture capitalist from Harvard business school with 3 ponies in the stable and rock-hard abs. Most of these latter type aren't too pretty but act as if they are, and are altogether just as cocky.

MY ADVICE: GO FOR A LOCAL GIRL WHO ISN'T IN MEDICAL SCHOOL. You get a lot more bang for your buck. For the same effort you'll get someone more attractive, requiring less maintenance, and who will likely NOT have any delusions about being as intelligent as you, and will thereby not argue with you all the damned time.

Alright check it out. 90% of your classmates will be either married or in a relationship they've had going for 8 years. Most female med students aren't gorgeous and have rather low self esteem, meaning that most are hanging on to whatever guy they've managed to get in their pre-medschool lives. They'll hang onto this guy relentlessly, even if he IS an automechanic or the cashier at Shaw's, because they're comfortable with him and for fear of ending up alone.

The other 10% will be either nothing you'd be interested in or that awful, snobby, I'm-from-a-rich-family and I'm-too-good-for-everyone type. These women are flying high on the pretentiousness they were taught as children, and will declare themselves too good for anybody but a venture capitalist from Harvard business school with 3 ponies in the stable and rock-hard abs. Most of these latter type aren't too pretty but act as if they are, and are altogether just as cocky.

MY ADVICE: GO FOR A LOCAL GIRL WHO ISN'T IN MEDICAL SCHOOL. You get a lot more bang for your buck. For the same effort you'll get someone more attractive, requiring less maintenance, and who will likely NOT have any delusions about being as intelligent as you, and will thereby not argue with you all the damned time.

Funny.. but mostly true.

[/quote] MY ADVICE: GO FOR A LOCAL GIRL WHO ISN'T IN MEDICAL SCHOOL. You get a lot more bang for your buck. For the same effort you'll get someone more attractive, requiring less maintenance, and who will likely NOT have any delusions about being as intelligent as you, and will thereby not argue with you all the damned time.[/quote]

Did you mean this literally or figuratively lol?

False once you get to third year. I'd say that there's time to keep an already existing relationship going, but when you're on q4 call you probably are going to prefer to use your day off to sleep in and catch up on reading rather than dating. Plus your daily schedule is going to be pretty off from the early mornings and early nights, making meeting people even harder.

It's all about time management. I'm wrapping up third year myself and have found time to go out at least once per weekend on MOST rotations (granted general surgery was an exception...). I don't mean have a guys night out and get some beers AND go on a date (you have to pick one, 2 days going out weekly doesn't happen much), but it can be done.

And again I second NOT dating girls in medical school.

MY ADVICE: GO FOR A LOCAL GIRL WHO ISN'T IN MEDICAL SCHOOL. You get a lot more bang for your buck. For the same effort you'll get someone more attractive, requiring less maintenance, and who will likely NOT have any delusions about being as intelligent as you, and will thereby not argue with you all the damned time.[/quote]

Did you mean this literally or figuratively lol?[/quote]

Likely both. The snobby ones are also going to be much more prude and difficult to progress with, assuming you can somehow start anything at all.

I've seen med student couples break up over mismatched step 1 scores. One didn't want the others poor score to keep them out of a competitive residency. Sad but true.

LOL!... that's crazy!

Overall...Its about time management. Im a third yr and my bf is not in med school. We don't get to see each other everyday and our relationship is great. We're both incredibly busy and work about the same hours. I think it helps when both individuals are independent. It would be difficult for a med student to date someone very needy.

It's all about time management. I'm wrapping up third year myself and have found time to go out at least once per weekend on MOST rotations (granted general surgery was an exception...). I don't mean have a guys night out and get some beers AND go on a date (you have to pick one, 2 days going out weekly doesn't happen much), but it can be done.

You are right that it is highly rotation dependent. On Family Med, Psych, and outpatient peds there really is plenty of time. On Medicine, Surgery, OB/Gyn, and inpatient peds not so much. I guess I can't really see myself starting up a new relationship when I really only have one free night per week to work with (and by the end of the rotation will need for studying anyway), but you may be more skilled than I in the ways of efficient dating. For me, just being able to go out once a week does not a relationship make.

ok. wow.

Love it. I'm laughing my ass off right now. Thanks for the advice. Kinda figured it would be this way.

You know, actually this depends where you live. I would say the students at my med school (both male and female) are incredibly good looking. And they don't look like nerds either. Beautiful faces, rock hard sexy bodies...the men in my class are WAY hotter than any non-med students I've dated throughout my life. A lot of muscle studs. We have many students who have formerly modeled as well. So as for looks, I'm happy staying within my class.

Now their attitude on the other hand...*cough*

You know, actually this depends where you live. I would say the students at my med school (both male and female) are incredibly good looking. And they don't look like nerds either. Beautiful faces, rock hard sexy bodies...the men in my class are WAY hotter than any non-med students I've dated throughout my life. A lot of muscle studs. We have many students who have formerly modeled as well. So as for looks, I'm happy staying within my class.

May I comment on your sn...

Comment made. HAHA

I second the fact that medical classes are pretty attractive. It's kind a self-selection factors. Most of the med students do keep fit, go to the gym and take care of their bodies.

However, having said that, most of the attractive ones are in serious relationships / engaged/ married / have kids. If you do decide to date someone in your class, be warned there are a lot of unique factors to think about.

you have time for it. i really think dating someone (especially someone outside of medical school) helps you keep your life balanced. It can really bring so much incredible happiness into your life...but take it slow. Don't rush into something too fast and end up having to get over a broken heart while trying to study and get through medical school.

:laugh: There's a lot of truth here, at least relative to my own experience.

You are all obviously so modest too.

there are NO hot girls in medical school. Even the ones that were remotely attractive at the onset became somehow weird once you got to know them better (i.e a weird laugh or a sneeze that is ridiculously loud, or man-hands.. basically anything that theres a seinfeld episode about.) Its like there is a filter for hotness at med school. I suppose it goes for the guys too.

there are NO hot girls in medical school. Even the ones that were remotely attractive at the onset became somehow weird once you got to know them better (i.e a weird laugh or a sneeze that is ridiculously loud, or man-hands.. basically anything that theres a seinfeld episode about.) Its like there is a filter for hotness at med school. I suppose it goes for the guys too.

She eats her peas..........one at a time!

I second the fact that medical classes are pretty attractive. It's kind a self-selection factors. Most of the med students do keep fit, go to the gym and take care of their bodies.

However, having said that, most of the attractive ones are in serious relationships / engaged/ married / have kids. If you do decide to date someone in your class, be warned there are a lot of unique factors to think about.

Ummm Med students are not that hot... Seriously. Of course theres an exception to every rule, and I love when that rule is broken b/c theres nothing better than a hot Dr. w/ a beautiful smile, a killer walk, and a nice bigggg soft....heart?

What about pharmacy students! We dont have a life either...

But I have a couple in my class who broke up (I think? they still sit by each other everyday) and its pretty interesting to just look @ them in class and also hear all the gossip involved... lol the guy yelled at the girl the other day outside of class and someone heard and now they're being called the white version of Chris Brown and Rihanna.

But do MD students see Pharm D. students as inferior, or "Not able to understand what their going through"? I've always wanted to know this, b/c I think we have alottttt in common as far as the social situation is concerned.

and so I guess Pharmacy students are not looked up upon that much seeing as how no one really responded??? Well we think you guys are hot :p

PS: If you're a guy, check out teachers (a young cute one, of course)...they tend to be smart AND very nice, sweet etc. Good combo to mellow out a crazy, somewhat psychotic type-A med student...

Im dating a teacher right now and...man...you are right on the money. :)

Medical school. The chics are already successful, so you just have to find the one that's hot (or that you're physically attracted to) and that jives with your moral foundation / religion. It's math.

You go for chicks that are "successful"? Really? Personally, I couldn't care less.

we've been together for a year now he graduated from my school and now is a resident..i love him so much.. alhtough he is busy most of the time whenever i need help with my study he is allways there fore me :)

we've been together for a year now he graduated from my school and now is a resident..i love him so much.. alhtough he is busy most of the time whenever i need help with my study he is allways there fore me :)
so you're using him so you can get honors in all of your classes.

any current MS1 or older single females here?

I'll bite. I'm an MS2 single female. I find that regular "townie" type dudes don't want to date a woman who's going to be a doctor. Most guys in my class and even the year before and after are in serious relationships or married. Then there are a few that are just weird. I'm moderately attractive but I do have a pretty loud sneeze. What can you do.

I'll bite. I'm an MS2 single female. I find that regular "townie" type dudes don't want to date a woman who's going to be a doctor. Most guys in my class and even the year before and after are in serious relationships or married. Then there are a few that are just weird. I'm moderately attractive but I do have a pretty loud sneeze. What can you do.
please forward your resume, with one (1) copy of your transcript, official or unofficial, to my office. when your step 1 score becomes available, please forward that as well. additionally, please write a personal statement (limit 1.75 double-spaced pages, 13 pt comic sans MS font, 1.22 inch margin) describing the loudness of your sneeze and/or other irregular bodily noises.

once the committee has reviewed your file, you will then placed into one of three categories: glimmer-of-hope interview, we-can't-make-up-our-minds hold, or silent rejection. applications will be reviewed on the a random rolling basis and you will be notified of our decision when we feel like it.

sincerely,
THE committee

:hungover:

Reactions: 3 users
-

Last edited:
I'll contribute too - single female MS1 here... :-D, the few guys who have asked me out are 1) fellow classmates, or 2) have NO idea what studying life in medical school is like, and become rapidly frustrated with my limited availability. I am happily living it up tho, no need for a bf

Last edited:
to be honest, i think that whether we're hopelessly single or til-death-do-us-part married right now, we'll all be ok in the end :thumbup:

I'll contribute too - single female MS1 here...kinda tough because I'm 21 and in my good dating years :-D, but the few guys who have asked me out are 1) fellow classmates, or 2) have NO idea what studying life in medical school is like, and become rapidly frustrated with my limited availability. I am happily living it up tho, no need for a bf

You just against dating fellow classmates?

It's also just too much of a fishbowl. I dated one guy in my class and when things went awry, everyone was all up in the bidness. There's a dude I like now, but I would never tell him because if he rejects me I'll have to drop out of school. Only exaggerating a tiny bit there.

It's also just too much of a fishbowl. I dated one guy in my class and when things went awry, everyone was all up in the bidness. There's a dude I like now, but I would never tell him because if he rejects me I'll have to drop out of school. Only exaggerating a tiny bit there.

Touch his butt.

If he jumps, he doesn't like you.

If he giggles, he does. :oops:

Reactions: 6 users