DAW-1 on Unithroid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CetiAlphaFive

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a bit confused here.

We got an Rx where M.D. wrote "brand name necessary" for Unithroid.

Is Unithroid a brand or generic?

I know the same caution applies re: TSH, but I wondered about the actual definition of "brand"

My state board already (on another issue) told me that "brand necessary" for a generic NDC is meaningless, but this threw me for a loop

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I'm confused too but isn't Unithroid brand for levothyroxine?

Unithroid is the exact same pill as generic levothyroxine by Lannett. It's nothing more than a cash grab for a "branded" levothyroxine

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unithroid is the exact same pill as generic levothyroxine by Lannett. It's nothing more than a cash grab for a "branded" levothyroxine
Oh, so it's like the pantoprazole we used to get with "Protonix" printed on them?

Niiiiiiiice.

Thanks man. Calling M.D. to throw it in their face as I type. lol

(I'm kidding. Mostly.)

Some people need to use a certain generic because they have an allergy or other intolerance to excipient ingredients. Do the DAW-1 and fill the prescription.

Some people need to use a certain generic because they have an allergy or other intolerance to excipient ingredients. Do the DAW-1 and fill the prescription.
Interesting.

So, taking your statement at face value and dismissing the idea that Therapeutic Index is the most important factor, here is a comparison of the inactive ingredients of Lannett 00527-1346-_ vs Mylan 00378-1811-_:

Mylan:
(D&C Red No. 27 Aluminum Lake, D&C Red No. 30 Aluminum Lake), butylated hydroxyanisole, colloidal silocone dioxide, crospovidone, magnesium stearate, mannitol, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, sodium lauryl sulfate and sucrose.

Lannett generic / Unithroid:
(D&C Red No. 27 Aluminum Lake) Colloidal silicon dioxide, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, corn starch, acacia and sodium starch glycolate.

So, we can assume that they're allergic/intolerant (whatever that means) to the things in the Mylan excipients that aren't in the Lannett NDC.
Should we inform the patient that they have an allergy to D&C Red No. 30 Aluminum Lake, BHA, PVP/povidone, mannitol, SLES, or sucrose?

Should we alert the M.D. that the patient has a potential allergy to everyday substances found in a vast array of medical equipment, other medications, foods, etc...?

Reactions: 1 users
And it's acquisition cost more than 4.5x as much as levothyroxine

Abbott pulled the best scam ever convincing t-4 was some magical drug is impossible to have bioequivelence. I'd rather deal with a drug seeker than someone in a tizzy over synthroid

Interesting.

So, taking your statement at face value and dismissing the idea that Therapeutic Index is the most important factor, here is a comparison of the inactive ingredients of Lannett 00527-1346-_ vs Mylan 00378-1811-_:

Mylan:
(D&C Red No. 27 Aluminum Lake, D&C Red No. 30 Aluminum Lake), butylated hydroxyanisole, colloidal silocone dioxide, crospovidone, magnesium stearate, mannitol, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, sodium lauryl sulfate and sucrose.

Lannett generic / Unithroid:
(D&C Red No. 27 Aluminum Lake) Colloidal silicon dioxide, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, corn starch, acacia and sodium starch glycolate.

So, we can assume that they're allergic/intolerant (whatever that means) to the things in the Mylan excipients that aren't in the Lannett NDC.
Should we inform the patient that they have an allergy to D&C Red No. 30 Aluminum Lake, BHA, PVP/povidone, mannitol, SLES, or sucrose?

Should we alert the M.D. that the patient has a potential allergy to everyday substances found in a vast array of medical equipment, other medications, foods, etc...?

:bang: :beat:

Whatever.

:bang: :beat:

Whatever.

I mean, if you're going to use poor logic to justify recommending that someone practice like a bare minimum, lick & stick pharmacist, don't be surprised when that someone puts your statement under a microscope and shows it to be sub-par.

We have an obligation to think critically. What's the point of having a doctorate if you're not actually going to at least try to be an expert?

Last edited:
The good old Synthroid fairy back again just dawning a slightly different disguise. Magically making a molecule that always seems to work better like she always has.

Making that poor 1 in 10,000 patient who actually does have some sort of absorption problem look crazy.

rph3664 isn't entirely off base. I've witnessed myself a patient who didn't tolerate a certain manufacturer of fentanyl patches due to what I assume was the adhesives. One manufacturer caused a gross rash and another did not.

rph3664 isn't entirely off base. I've witnessed myself a patient who didn't tolerate a certain manufacturer of fentanyl patches due to what I assume was the adhesives. One manufacturer caused a gross rash and another did not.

This ain't fenny patches...and you ain't no delta airlines, either.../obscurejoke

This isn't even a brand/generic issue. They're the same damn pills. They're both made by Jerome Stevens Pharmaceuticals in Bohemia,. NY

This isn't even a brand/generic issue. They're the same damn pills. They're both made by Jerome Stevens Pharmaceuticals in Bohemia,. NY

Maybe I should add "TO BE CONTINUED" to my posts so that people will actually read the thread