dazed and confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope you guys can help. Here's the story:

1. fourth year med student applying for anesthesia residency
2. discovered very early in third year that I didn't like the field/culture of medicine, which was confirmed as the year went on.
3. As a fourth year, I have picked anesthesia more as a default (money, lifestyle, etc)...didn't particularly like the rotation, but didn't hate it (tolerable)like everything else I've rotated through.
4. I have done all the "soul searching" I can possibly do, talked to dean of students, attendings, other students, my brother who is an MD, etc. I still feel like medicine is not for me.

My question is:
1. Should I go through with a residency in anesthesia and do part-time work with the hopes that only being at the hospital 3 days a week will be a tolerable job that pays enough to live very comfortably?
2. Thinking about the MBA - are there possibilities to work with WHO or a similar organization without a residency? Thinking about living abroad...any thoughts on flexibility of degrees and job opportunities through US organizations?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would still like to use my knowledge as an MD, but not in a clinical setting.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Moha,

If I were you, I would continue with the GAS residency until you figure out what you would want to do. If nothing else, it is a steady paying job that does have some forward advancement. Really. not a bad way to kill time.

If you truly don't like the field/culture of medicine, why would you want to work for the WHO or work abroad in the field of medicine? You'll only dig yourself deeper.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically because I want a desk job. Not a good reason, but a reason nonetheless. I met my husband abroad, and would love to return to his country. I'm looking for a possible job that pays okay, and my MD is really the only thing going for me....thus WHO. I wouldn't want to practice medicine...maybe a consultant or really anything behind a desk so that I don't have to deal with the "culture of medicine" directly. But maybe I'm dreaming too much, and maybe a desk job like that would be even worse with a lot more politics and beaurocratic BS. Maybe I just need a really long vacation away from here!

moha said:
Basically because I want a desk job. Not a good reason, but a reason nonetheless. I met my husband abroad, and would love to return to his country. I'm looking for a possible job that pays okay, and my MD is really the only thing going for me....thus WHO. I wouldn't want to practice medicine...maybe a consultant or really anything behind a desk so that I don't have to deal with the "culture of medicine" directly. But maybe I'm dreaming too much, and maybe a desk job like that would be even worse with a lot more politics and beaurocratic BS. Maybe I just need a really long vacation away from here!

at the VERY least, do your internship and finish step 3 to get licensed. The value of your MD etc. goes way up. You didn't spend the last 4 years studying your butt off just to throw it away. One more year would ensure that you will at least be a "semi" real doc. You could even do the year at an easy program, just make sure you do it. You could use this time to apply to MBA programs etc.

:( If you discover Medicine is not for you I will urge very strongly to walk away altogether from the Health field. My best friend went to Med School, graduated and applied to the school of Anesthesia only to find out after 18 months that he hated medicine. After all the education, money, and hard work he found he could not deal with the stress.

Once you discover that what you thought you wanted is not what you is best for you the idea of even getting involved in the field in another capacity is not a good idea. I will lead to early burn out, job dissatisfaction, stress, and mistakes that would cost you dearly in the long run.

I suggest for you a good dose of time off away from all and think what really is matters to you before you go continue in your pursuits.

Regards,

Falco3030
moha said:
I hope you guys can help. Here's the story:

1. fourth year med student applying for anesthesia residency
2. discovered very early in third year that I didn't like the field/culture of medicine, which was confirmed as the year went on.
3. As a fourth year, I have picked anesthesia more as a default (money, lifestyle, etc)...didn't particularly like the rotation, but didn't hate it (tolerable)like everything else I've rotated through.
4. I have done all the "soul searching" I can possibly do, talked to dean of students, attendings, other students, my brother who is an MD, etc. I still feel like medicine is not for me.

My question is:
1. Should I go through with a residency in anesthesia and do part-time work with the hopes that only being at the hospital 3 days a week will be a tolerable job that pays enough to live very comfortably?
2. Thinking about the MBA - are there possibilities to work with WHO or a similar organization without a residency? Thinking about living abroad...any thoughts on flexibility of degrees and job opportunities through US organizations?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would still like to use my knowledge as an MD, but not in a clinical setting.

Thanks.

Thanks for the insight, however, I have already thought of all of this. Now, what to do with the loans, loans, loans....oh yeah, and I have 2 small children. HAHAHA! Life just gets better, huh? Maybe I'll just file for bankruptcy and move abroad. Anyways, thanks for the help, but, as my husband said, I'll just need to figure this one out on my own and drag the family with me in whatever decision I make. PEACE!

moha said:
Thanks for the insight, however, I have already thought of all of this. Now, what to do with the loans, loans, loans....oh yeah, and I have 2 small children. HAHAHA! Life just gets better, huh? Maybe I'll just file for bankruptcy and move abroad. Anyways, thanks for the help, but, as my husband said, I'll just need to figure this one out on my own and drag the family with me in whatever decision I make. PEACE!

Well, if you're really sure clinical medicine is not right for you and you want a "desk job" have you thought more specifically about what you want to do? You mentioned consulting but is that because it is the first thing that comes to mind? You would definitely make yourself more marketable with an MBA (if you want to do business) or an MPH (for WHO and other public health organizations). Otherwise, as an unlicensed MD, I'm not sure how marketable you would be.

Incidentally, I know a consulting firm in DC looking for med school graduates and you don't have to have clinical training. PM me if interested.

Mike