DDS/DMD mixed with Business

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prsndwg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking at different dental school website and I came across a DDS/DMD that had something related to the business to it; it wasnt pHD. something like MBA, but Cant find it anymore.. It really grabbed my attention.

Any ideas?

Is there such a thing or am I just tripping?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you

Does anybody know anything about it? is it difficult to get into/ out of the program? what could you use it for when you graduate? anything specific?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you

Does anybody know anything about it? is it difficult to get into/ out of the program? what could you use it for when you graduate? anything specific?

:confused:

No body :-?

http://business.unlv.edu/mba/content.asp?content=123

Try UNLV, you can get your MBA at the same time, classes are in the evening, two to four times a week,depending on how fast you want to finish, 2-4 years, pretty cheap too.

DMD/MBA combo, a few people have done it at UNLV, kind of overkill I thought

UCLA, harvard, UCSF, and Columbia have it from the schools that I've looked at so far. In these, it seems harvard you have to apply to DMD/MBA at the same time, before you start. But at the others you apply the first or second year in dental school (which make more sense to me). At all of them it takes 5 years, except at UCSF where you can finish it both in 4 years (it's mixed with university of san fransico, not berkeley for MBA).

Thanks,

Can you give me some examples of what the MBA part could be used for? does a patient want to see the MBA in front of my name too?

Thanks,

Can you give me some examples of what the MBA part could be used for? does a patient want to see the MBA in front of my name too?

I can't imagine that patients would like to know that you have an MBA because then they would see you more as a business man who's trying to take their money rather than a caring dentist. Personally, I feel like if I ever got an MBA, I would not keep the certificate at my practice lol.

I think if you look into Harvard's goal statement for that program, it gives you an accurate idea of what it could be used for. It basically says it's aimed towards people who are interested in owning/managing multiple practices, getting into the dental devices industry, corporate dentistry, etc. I feel like if you're planning on just having one practice and don't really want to get into managing practices and the business side of it too much, an MBA is overkill, as would most people say. I think the fact that so many dentists are doing great in managing a single practice (or even multiple ones) is evidence for that.

Having a MBA probably means you have a better idea of managing a practice. I honestly do not see any other perks other than this. On the other hand, many people will argue that managing a business (most of us will own a private practice someday) could be the hardest thing in the real world. So, if they offer it, why not do it!

Having a MBA probably means you have a better idea of managing a practice. I honestly do not see any other perks other than this. On the other hand, many people will argue that managing a business (most of us will own a private practice someday) could be the hardest thing in the real world. So, if they offer it, why not do it!

Because it can take an extra year and can cost 50-60,000. You can probably learn enough by just taking some classes or doing extra work in dental school. It depends on your goals. Personally I feel like it might be something that aligns with my goals, but it just depends on personal skills/goals.